MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[Build Thread] 157 spaces of fun!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 [all]
Author [Build Thread] 157 spaces of fun!
JohnLRice
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
I would dare say your initial design wasn't very well thought out John (I think you already know that). A well intended noble effort, yes. But you clearly left yourself no way of future access or changes. I'd venture to guess that many of us made (perhaps silly) mistakes in our first efforts ... I know I certainly have!
Well, to be clear it wasn't MY design, that was the way PAiA designed it and I just got the kit's and followed the instructions. Mr. Green
Eric the Red
You guys have given me a lot to think about! I think I’m going to go with th tool and make proper power cables.

I don’t know what my plans are for th Module 5-10-15 years from now, and I’d rather have more flexibility than less.
Rex Coil 7
Eric the Red wrote:
You guys have given me a lot to think about! I think I’m going to go with th tool and make proper power cables.

I don’t know what my plans are for th Module 5-10-15 years from now, and I’d rather have more flexibility than less.
Sounds like a solid plan. Go for it. I'm glad my long winded bla bla helped you to make a clear choice one way or another. Modulars are all about choices.

thumbs up
Rex Coil 7
JohnLRice wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
I would dare say your initial design wasn't very well thought out John (I think you already know that). A well intended noble effort, yes. But you clearly left yourself no way of future access or changes. I'd venture to guess that many of us made (perhaps silly) mistakes in our first efforts ... I know I certainly have!
Well, to be clear it wasn't MY design, that was the way PAiA designed it and I just got the kit's and followed the instructions. Mr. Green
Dang those guys! you kids get off my lawn

lol
Eric the Red
Slowly but surly chugging along. I started work on the super VCA Panel last weekend, and I plan on finishing it this weekend.

srsly never

This is a bank of 10x BMC 015’s.. so 40 VCS’s. http://www.bartonmusicalcircuits.com/vcamix/

As of right now it seems excessive, and I might have to many, but I built it for possible future expansion. What started off as a 3-cabinet System has now grown into a 4th. Once I clean up the basement a bit, I’ll post a pic of the 4th cabinet, and some details around what will go in it.

Also, I fired up the old Iron and got to work on my pair of Oakley Croglins, and the Stroh Bit Station!

One step at a time.. I think I estimate it will take about 2-years to fully finish all 4 of my cabinets.
Rex Coil 7
Just keep eatin' that elephant one bite at a time.

Driving headbang
Eric the Red
Eric the Red

Don’t know why I couldn’t do this as one post, but oh well... here is the super panel. 10xBMC015, 4xVCA/Mix. Or 40 VCAS.. I think I have enough. I just have a little bit more work to do on the PCBs, and I need to buy 130 jacks... but this is the bottom row of the middle cabinet.

Every day I am inching closer.
Eric the Red
Some of the PCBs for Cabinet 4 are on the way!
-BPM Generator
-2-4-6-8 Clock divider
-Prime number Clock divider
-3x buffered mults

These 6 modules are going to be built into a 3u strip and will function as the brain of the system. The master clock will shoot out of here, into the dividers, into the mults, and into the 14 different mini systems in the 3-main cabinets.

A few more modules from NLC will make up the est of this strip - a trio of triple sloths, and another Clock divider. Just need to wait for funds to order those.

And pictures - here is how Harald built these up, I’ll have them in my cream colored panels with orange knobs.

For those that haven’t seen his stuff: http://www.haraldswerk.de

Harald has been basing his Circuits off of the Elektor Formant modules. I also have his full Vocoder on the ToDo list.
Eric the Red
A tiny update... I am done buying PCBs. I am done buying PCBs... these things need to stop showing up at my house...

Anyway, I have created a master parts list of everything that I need for all of the PCBs that I have. I will soon be ordering 508 unique parts, and for all projects I will be soldering about 7835 components.

Between Mouser and Tayda, I’m going to have a lovely package coming smile
Eric the Red
Noobie wiring question... I’m about to start working my 10xBarton VCA/Mix super duper giant panel, and I need a l title bit of help.

The Switchcraft jack has 3-pins. Which one is the “tip” and which one is the “switch”. And what is the third one?

On the PCB, there is a “ground” in the top right corner - what do I wire that to? Is that what the third pin is on the jacks? Do they all get wired to this? Or do I send this to a chunk of metal in the corner of my case?

Thanks peeps!!

-Eric
JohnLRice
The connections are how they look inside, just insert a plug into the jack and it will all make sense! thumbs up The sleeve is commonly called the ground lug. I would connect all of the ground lugs together with bare wire (buss wire, just thread it through all the ground lugs before soldering) and attach one wire from one of the ground lugs to the ground point on the PCB. Some manufacturers don't do this though and rely on the jacks touching the metal panel or something else. I've never built any Barton modules, I'm just assuming some things.
Eric the Red
Thanks John!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 [all]
Page 6 of 6