MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[Build Thread] 157 spaces of fun!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author [Build Thread] 157 spaces of fun!
Rex Coil 7
Eric the Red wrote:
....Also hooked up the workshop with a magnifying light thingy - working with a magnifier is very different, but very helpful.

-Eric
I bought one of them thingages as well. For me, it's nearly useless. I went to high diopter reading glasses (like $10 bux at WalMart). I wouldn't be able to walk six steps without tipping over from the dizziness the high mag creates, but when in that tiny little ~world~ we get inside of when we're focusing on little bitty parts and tight working quarters maneuvering an 800f+ degree soldering pen around a tiny city of tiny buildings, them "Coke Bottle Bottom" readers work perfectly. I even double check my soldering joints by placing a 10x loupe right against the lens on the readers, which really lets me ~in~ to the tiny tiny world and any flaws. Can't recall how many times going to The Loupe has exposed problems that I otherwise would never have seen.

The shyte is, I used to have "fighter pilot's eyes" ... 20/10 (twenty/ten) visual acuity in both eyes. For the uninformed, that means what most people can read at 10 feet away, I was able to read at 20 feet away. Them days er gone! Any more (at 57 yrs old) it's probably more like 20/40 or worse.

DANG IT! you kids get off my lawn

getting old sucks
Eric the Red
Getting old... yeah.. I’m a bit younger (a spry 32). I had scoliosis surgery exactly 16 years and 8 days ago. There are 2-11inch rods holding my spine in place. It’s amazing how certain activities make me feel great or make me feel like shit.

Back to the soldering Iron...

-Eric
Eric the Red
With this project, it I should time to start spec’ing out the power supply!

Brian (Rex Coil 7) has been, and will be a huge help in this whole ordeal. I’ll be purchasing power supplies from mouser (whatever Roger uses as the QPS3 and QPS1) and setting up bus bars.

Overall, I’ll probsbly be hooking up 4-power supplies, 1-for each cabinet (5U) and one for the euro setup in the left cabinet.

Progress I’ve made on this so far: purchasae a massive pile of screws / washers / nuts. I think there are about 500 coming? Probably not enough, but it will get me started with the first set of modules.

Edit - just got confirmation that it all shipped. Fastener express is fast!
Eric the Red

Here is this weekends panel - what I am calling the "Hachi Trapezoidal Quantized Switched Shaper". A name like that just rolls off the tongue... There are several different modules that make up this panel, and I took a piece of each of their names to come up with a title that has a lot of large words in it.

Going from left to right:

-2x QTLFO - Hachi is Japanese for 8, and there are two of these "Quad Trapezoidal" Oscillators.... so we get the Hachi Trapezoid! Link to module: http://www.bartonmusicalcircuits.com/qtlfo/

-DNQ - If having one Dual Nice Quantizer is "nice" having four must make me Mr. Nice Guy. Instead of building to the standard "Barton" panel, I'll be taking the Dave Smith approach (http://modularsynthesis.com/modules/DJB-013/djb013.htm). This is going to be one dense panel with a lot of wire when it is done. I think I read somewhere that the Klee takes about 300ft. of wire to build. This one might need more. Link to module: http://www.bartonmusicalcircuits.com/dnq/

-Horstronic Waveslicer - Looking for the elusive Batman wave? The Horstronic Waveslicer has got you covered. Why stop at one batman, when you can have 2? Link to Module: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=144678)

-Programmable Router - WIth so many outputs, why stick to the road always traveled? With this puppy, I can switch to the road less traveled with just the push of a button. 4-Ins, 4-Outs and many combinations of where to route everything. Link to module: http://www.bartonmusicalcircuits.com/router/

-4046 Shaper - Another waveshaper - this one converts everything to a swuare, and then does some wonky and funky stuff. Link to module: http://www.bartonmusicalcircuits.com/4046/

Once I get everything designed, i'll be making my Aluminum order to get these puppies made. That's all for this weekend, looks like i'll be doing the Mirrored Klee's next weekend.
Rex Coil 7
Holy Radioactive Coyotes, Batman! Geez, Eric .... and I get all proud because I drilled a few holes and tweeked a couple of Dot Com modules.

I'm building a shed in the woods, you're building a skyscraper in Manhattan! I'm building a kite, you ... a fighter jet.

At the end of the day, it's all just parts and wires. But I cannot help but feel a total sense of awe ... in the actual meaning of the word.

Carry on, good sir. Do, carry on.

Wavefolders are a blast. I had an Intellijel uFoldII, it did all of the waveshapes (Batman head, cat's head, and so on). Loved the sound! It was resource hungry though. Without pretty much devoting an entire synth's worth of peripheral modules to making it "go", it didn't offer much. It was highly productive when the input waves were modulated (their input levels). That said, each channel needed it's own VCO, with the VCO's output level controlled by a VCA (which in turn needed modulation itself to change the signal level of the VCO that was running through it). All of that .... x3! The VCOs needed to track something to make things musical as well. A sequencer, perhaps a keyboard ... everwhat.

So each VCO wanted it's own VCA .... and each VCA wanted it's own envelope, and LFO ... each with their own output signal levels modulated.

OY! d'oh!

Short story .... sold on eBay ... replaced with a Kurzweil PC3A6. Ha!

That's my (wavefolder) story and I'm sticking to it!

B.
Rex Coil 7
.... man .... we may want to talk about putting in a PSU just to power the LEDs in that thing!

lol
Eric the Red
This panel only has 28 LEDs for 10 modules, only 2.8 LEDs per panel. The other 2-Panels I posted, the Null A2 and the VCAs don’t have any.

Overall, for the 21 modules thee are a 30 LEDs, or 1.43 LEDs per Module. The real crazy blinkiness will come in with the Bit Station.

Rex Coil 7
Eric the Red wrote:
This panel only has 28 LEDs for 10 modules, only 2.8 LEDs per panel. The other 2-Panels I posted, the Null A2 and the VCAs don’t have any.

Overall, for the 21 modules thee are a 30 LEDs, or 1.43 LEDs per Module. The real crazy blinkiness will come in with the Bit Station....
You do realize I was kidding, right? lol lol

But now that you've added it all up, by comparison my 5U/MU system has seven LEDs. 4 on the VCOs (1 each VCO) and 3 of them on the power panel.

Then again, I don't have a sequencer.

Now, in my Euro cab things get weird. I have 2 Lightstrips (CV voltage sources that can record your movements). Each one of those has ELEVEN LEDs, and those things are only 4hp each! Eleven LEDs in 4HP. A Doepfer Quad LFO (4 more LEDs) .... 2 MATHS (there's another 16 LEDs between them) .... A DUAL ADSR (2 more LEDs) ... hmm ... it's becoming clear that I have no room to talk here!

Just in those alone I have 44 (fourty four) LEDs. Ok, yea, time to stop joking about your system and it's LED armada. Adding my entire Dot Com system plus what I have in Euro (*cough cough* ... ahem .. so far .. *cough) I'm looking at 13 LEDS plus 44 ... uh oh, this is becoming embarrassing .... FIFTY SEVEN LEDs!

(what the absolute .. 57? .. hold up .. eek! .. how'd that happen? hmmm..... geez!)

HAA! I can't help but think of that chef on Sesame Street that used to come out with those pies and sing out loud ... "TEN BANANA CREAM PIES!!" ..... so imagining him doing that with my system's LEDs .....

"FIFTY SEVEN LIGHT EMITTING DIODES!!".

meh ok, I'll stop now ....

Dead Banana
Eric the Red
The Count! I have an uncle that looks and talks like him. It’s kind of odd...

This wasn’t intentional, but my cabinets are set up to go from more blinky discotheque excitement to not much fun.

The left cabinet, almost all modules have crazy blinky lights. There will be a 6U segment with 30 lights!! (http://www.bartonmusicalcircuits.com/xor/)

Above that thee will be 2x Klee sequencers. Those have a few lights... about 21!

Where did I leave my sunglasses...

Edit:
Finally some non-soldering / design progress: next week, I’ll be ordering the aluminum for the bus bars and the panels. The fun part I should not telling my wife how’s much stuff I saw coming and then hearing about her struggling to bring it inside when the package is delivered smile
Eric the Red
Well... I went and did it. I ordered another PCB. But this is to get started on that 6U of Euro.

It is for the legendary Ming Mecca - my Euro side of the system is going to be dedicated to total weirdness. Maybe I’ll name it Naked Lunch? So far, I’ll be filling that up with Haralds NGF Vocoder and Video synthesis modules. With the remaining space, it will be for more ambient / background / noise modules and a “Format Jumbler” converter panel. Is it actually legendary? Who the fuck knows, and who cares!

Ming Mecca - http://www.specialstagesystems.com/world/

Back to the day job. And then gotta grade papers, write a lecture or two, and a midterm... and then back to Panel Design.

Hoping OnlineMetals.com emails out a coupon or something to help save a buck or two before I place the order... I’ll wait a few weeks before hitting the “ship me 100lbs of aluminum button” or whatever I am purchasing... (146U worth of aluminum sheets and 34 feet of aluminum for bus bars)
Flareless
That Ming Mecca is truly weird oh Red One!

What the hell do you plan to do with that? Generate and score video games on the fly with control voltages?
Rex Coil 7
Flareless wrote:
That Ming Mecca is truly weird oh Red One!

What the hell do you plan to do with that? Generate and score video games on the fly with control voltages?
(I highlighted) ... I thought you can do just the opposite with that thing?

I had this totally stoner idea a year or so back .... having "PONG" (remember that one?) used as a random gate and/or note sequencer. Just let the game bounce the ball around at random, with each contact with a paddle or boundary creating a cv event.

Meh ... seriously, i just don't get it ... ideas come and go.

thumbs up
Eric the Red
Flareless - exactly that! I have a few tiny relatives that will be around the age where they have control over their limbs by the time this thing is ready to be fired up (they should all be between 2-5).

When I have family over, it will give me an excuse to hid out in the studio when they are here. Also, Video Synthesis was on the list of things to add in the Euro section, and I had an opportunity to purchase a PCB for something that will probably never be available again.

Rex Coil 7 - from what it looks like, it kind of does that. It has some video game screens built in (SD Card) and you use the controller and voltages to control what the environment looks like while making unique sounds.

I need to read much, much more about that Module and it’s capabilities -and what to pair it with, but it I should going to be a good friend to me.

ALUMINUM has been ordered - 146u For panels and 34 ft. For bus bars!!!!![/u][/i][/b].

Edit - damn!!!! Online Metals.com is fast as hell. Ordered at about 8am, shipped out at 11:30am.
Rex Coil 7
Eric the Red wrote:
Flareless - exactly that! I have a few tiny relatives that will be around the age where they have control over their limbs by the time this thing is ready to be fired up (they should all be between 2-5).

When I have family over, it will give me an excuse to hid out in the studio when they are here. Also, Video Synthesis was on the list of things to add in the Euro section, and I had an opportunity to purchase a PCB for something that will probably never be available again.

Rex Coil 7 - from what it looks like, it kind of does that. It has some video game screens built in (SD Card) and you use the controller and voltages to control what the environment looks like while making unique sounds.

I need to read much, much more about that Module and it’s capabilities -and what to pair it with, but it I should going to be a good friend to me.

ALUMINUM has been ordered - 146u For panels and 34 ft. For bus bars!!!!![/u][/i][/b].

Edit - damn!!!! Online Metals.com is fast as hell. Ordered at about 8am, shipped out at 11:30am.
It's weird how fast that bus bar stuff gets eaten up. I had 20ft, last two nights I made 11 (eleven) bus bars and suddenly there's just a remnant left from the 20ft order left. I kept thinking that I had over-ordered ... but nope ... pretty much used it all up.

That was only for a 44sp 5U/MU and a 352HP (slightly larger than 12U) Euro rig.

You'll suck up that 34ft of bus bar quick as a wink.

As for your panels and the aluminum work involved ... I'd run like a thief from that job! I really admire your ambition on that one, I hope like HECK it all works out for you. You're bound to learn a truckload by the end of that task.

And you're right about OnLineMetals ... they don't play! I've found Fastener Express, OnLineMetals, Lightning Stainless, and Erthanvar to be top drawer folks, to the one.

Sky Geek can suck bugs from a windshield ... in fact, they pretty much do. I'm not happy with them one little bit. Once my pending order is complete that will be the very last time they get any of my money.

Hmmm... maybe I'm being unfair, perhaps the wheels just happened to fall off on this one transaction, it may not be their ~norm~. I may give them a 2nd shot, I suppose everyone deserves a 2nd chance.

You're moving ahead very nicely Eric! I'm glad I was of some help (thanks for the props you sent my way a few posts up ... I totally didn't see that before). Any time.

thumbs up
neandrewthal
Wow, I could never leave a long enough comment to do this thread justice so I'll just say that's one hell of an ambitious project!..and then some other stuff.

lol at the batman wave. I got a kick out of that one day when I was mixing different vco waveform and watching on a scope and Batman appeared! I hope it was Adam West Batman and none of this moody shit.

Anyway, how soon do you plan to finish this thing? I can't believe how much you planned right from the start. When I started building my goal was to have 5x24u by the time I was old and grey (I was 20 I think) but I only planned the first 24u from the start. By the time that was done I had so much fun (and extra accumulated PCBs that I got started on the next 24u right away. By the time that was done I had so much fun (and extra accumulated PCBs that I got started on the next 3x24u right away.

The next thing you know it was done (and not a single grey hair yet). I'm glad I did it in stages though because my panel design philosophy altered drastically from start to finish. Even the module selection kept changing until the last minute and after it's done there are still some modules I want to rip out and replace with other ones. If I was planning as much as you all at once I bet over half of it would get changed by the time I'm done.

I'll leave off with a pic of my baby for now. Can't wait to see how this thread progresses!

Eric the Red
neandrewthal - thanks! I am thinking it should take about a year or so to finish. The biggest obstacle I have is funding, I think with the power supply and remaining parts, I have about $3k left to go - that includes patch cables! I can’t imagine what the cost of this thing would be if I bought everything pre-built.

For panel designs, I’m just going with “Keep It Simple Stoopid”.

It took me about a year or so to fully plan everything out before I started building - listened to hundreds of sound samples, listened hundreds of hours of new music... trying to figure out “my sound”.

This is the culmination of all that research.

Weekend plans - go to Home Depot and the craft store to get the rest of the supplies needed to make “paperface panels”next weekend. Aluminum comes Monday and I’ll prbsbly be dropping off some files with a printer on Wednesday or Thursday.
Eric the Red

Damn!! They are fast. Standard shipping, ordered yesterday.
Rex Coil 7
How thick is that? ^^
Eric the Red
Rex Coil 7 - it’s .1” or 2.54mm.

I’m going to build my table to be 10ft long instead of 8. Between this (side by side, not a thing an aapngle) this is about 9 ft. Long.
Rex Coil 7
Eric the Red wrote:
Rex Coil 7 - it’s .1” or 2.54mm....
Ah! So 12 gauge then. Excellent choice!

Which alloy did you choose?
Eric the Red
5052-H32

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=17911&step=4&showunits=mm &id=240&top_cat=0
Eric the Red
Small amount of progress over the weekend - prepped one of my illustrator files for printing! Submitted it to the print shop online last night - hopefully it will be ready in a few days.

I got all my supplies ready to make PaperFace panels - or have a disaster on my hands. Stay tuned for the next installment of my modular journey.
Rex Coil 7
Back to aluminum issues for a moment, I found this page to be ... I don't know ... interesting?

http://www.onlinemetals.com/productguides/aluminumguide.cfm

It provides a nice, easily read summary of some of the alloys commonly available today.

smile

On your paper face panels. This intrigues me. I have so many questions about the entire thing, the whole situation is really interesting.

Do you have to tell the printers about the intention of using a spray-on clear coat so they select the most appropriate ink (so the ink won't run or be sensitive to the solvents in the clear coat)?

Is it a decades durable means of applying a finish to the modules?

Please understand that I'm not challenging your decision to use that form of finishing, I'm just curious about it. smile

I've seen some examples on some synth panels (comic book characters, manga characters, and so on). And they look really great!

OH! And what of changes? In other words, what if (months, years later) you decide to change the images to something totally different. Is the original paperface application somehow removable or are you stuck with your choices? Let's say you decided to add a switch or a new pot to the panel, is the previous ~face~ removable so you can put on another one with the new control(s) added?

See .... too many questions, per usual "me".

I will check all of this out, so please don't go out of your way just to find these answers. I'm just more or less thinking out loud ... uhm ... again.

Keep on truckin' Eric!

Damn I talk too much!
Eric the Red
Hey Brian!

About 10-years ago I had this idea of taking photos, making belt buckles and selling them.

I took the photos, slapped Mod Podge on both sides, clear coated them and then filled it with epoxy.

Clear coat will dye paper yellow over time. Mod Podge is kind of like wall paper glue, but it sticks to anything. Then spray a few coats of clear coat on, and blammo! I’ve got a panel.

In terms of removal and putting on a new paper, it would almost be easier just to start over with a new panel. It would just be sanding/grinding to clean the metal off.
Rex Coil 7
Hola, Pues! El Kabong! ("well, hello!")

I was just showing my wife what you were talking about (Mod Podge). Looked it up ..... man! That looks like some really useful stuff! Do people know about this? (haahaa!)

So now I'm really curious. I've been frettin' over how to do the graphics on my own Hill Billy Tech synth (the Super Death Ray or whatever). I mean, for the most part I can just (attempt to) remember everything, but it would be better if it were to have some function labels here and there.

I mean, the voice controllers I'm making ..... Holy Radioactive Coyotes, Batman ... there's a bit there .....

So now your project methods have me thinking (uh oh ... everybody run! ... he's been thinking again!). I've always liked the look of the Dymo labels, matter of fact Pittsburgh Modular has done and gone KILLED THE HELL OUT OF THAT format! It looks amazingly good. I wonder if I could somehow use the Mod Goop along with some type of protective clear coat to adhere some printed out fakey Dymo labels that I can make up in the computer.

I've even considered doing a bit of metal stamping (I know a guy who's pretty much nailed a method of doing that quite well .... ~ahem~ ....). but to be honest that method doesn't really transfer well to painted surfaces, it only REALLY looks good on polished aluminum surfaces, which I won't have very many of. Polished aluminum isn't optimal for live performance panels, it's far too reflective. If one of those quadbillion watt spot lights or really hot stage light hits that surface all I can see for a few minutes is a blue dot floating in front of me.

Do I plan on going on stage with the Synth Of Death? Odder things have been known to happen. I'm certainly designing it towards that end.

Anyhow (wandering off again) ... do you think that there's a process .. a DIY process ... that would serve my needs? Even if the Dymo thing isn't practical, just some large-ish typeface graphics (VCO1 ... V81 [I use "V8" for "1v/oct" ... as in "volt/octave"], FM2, and so on ... short descriptors) would do.

I've been thinking of using silver Sharpie too, with clear coat over top. But sometimes clear epoxy spray paint can make Sharpie ink do REALLY weird things.

What do you think? Is there a method or combo of methods that will allow me to apply graphics over bedliner?

If not, for panels like the Voice Controller (pic above) I'll probably just scribble the function descriptors on with black Sharpie and call it done.

Help me, oh mighty Roger Ramjet ... Dead Banana

EDIT: Or perhaps I should just go all-in with the paper face method of sorts, and design the custom panels in some complimentary color to black (it's useless to attempt to match an existing black, it never works out, looks like an obvious screw up, and is just a plane and simple FAIL). Perhaps some type of gun-metal grey panel color with black graphics. Go with mil-spec looking graphics to go along with the whole mil-spec themes I like. Mumbling out loud again.

Hmmm .. paper face .... thinking ... thinking ... graphics, black, TITAN II ICBM silo looks ... paper face ... black .... ok my hair hurts now. I think I blew a diode.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 3 of 6