MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[Build Thread] 157 spaces of fun!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author [Build Thread] 157 spaces of fun!
Rex Coil 7
The clear hard coat ....

https://plaidonline.com/products/mod-podge-hard-coat-8-oz

seriously, i just don't get it
Eric the Red
Haha they didn’t have the purple stuff at Target!! For now I’ll stick with Mod Podge and spraying on clear coat.
Eric the Red
Went and talked to the printer a few days ago, it was interesting.

-this place charges by the square foot for prints that use the Large Format Printer. So that’s interesting.

-it will be printed on 80lb paper, which will add .005” to the size of my panels. They will be slightly larger than a standard 5U height, by .01” (source: http://printing.ucr.edu/paper_thickness.html)

This weekend I’ll be taking the panels I have done and pepping them for print, in my .ai files, what that means is basically deleting the black/gray circles and replacing them with an x so I can just have my mark to drill a hole and panel graphics.

If all goes a small planned, I’ll start putting some modules behind panels next weekend.

One more baby step closer towards finishing.
Rex Coil 7
nanners Trampoline nanners headbang nanners Trampoline nanners

How exciting!! This is SO different from my own approach, and I just LOVE it!

thumbs up
Eric the Red
With how much you are modifying modules, why didn’t you just go with the the DIY approach?
Rex Coil 7
Eric the Red wrote:
.... -it will be printed on 80lb paper, which will add .005” to the size of my panels. They will be slightly larger than a standard 5U height, by .01” (source: http://printing.ucr.edu/paper_thickness.html)
I'm confused. Why does thicker paper make the the finished product 0.010" taller than the 5U panel? Or does 80lb paper come in fixed sizes that are actually 8.760" instead of what a 5U panel is (8.750"). The link you posted addresses only the thickness of the paper.

I feel as though I'm missing something completely obvious. Good chance I am!

OH WAIT! I think I get it (he said). When you say "height", do you mean that the paper will add some thickness to the aluminum itself? If that is what you're driving at, ten thou is nothing to worry about. I think that bedliner shmutz I use adds at least 10 thousandths (0.010") of thickness to the bare aluminum.

Hmm.. I still feel like I'm missing it somehow.

seriously, i just don't get it

Eric the Red wrote:
This weekend I’ll be taking the panels I have done and pepping them for print, in my .ai files, what that means is basically deleting the black/gray circles and replacing them with an x so I can just have my mark to drill a hole and panel graphics....
Now THAT, I totally dig!

Easily, the most difficult thing about the way I make/modify my own panels is doing the hole layouts before center punching. With everything already carefully plotted out in a computer program, then printing it and laying it on the aluminum, then simply center punching the "X" and drilling ....... is a LOT easier than hand layout/center punch/drill horror I put myself through.

And yes, I still center punch even though I use a drill press. It is how I am able to keep hole placement within 1mm of spec. I don't predrill a pilot hole, I just center punch and then plow through with the full sized bit. If I center punch it's no different than drilling a pilot hole for the full sized bit to follow. It's just a method I've become comfortable with using over the years (and literally the thousands of holes I've drilled so far).

Dang Eric .... I'm so excited for you! You're going to be able to actually hold one of your modules IN YOUR OWN HANDS soon! That is so cool!

nanners
Rex Coil 7
Eric the Red wrote:
With how much you are modifying modules, why didn’t you just go with the the DIY approach?
Well, some would say IT IS a DIY approach, just a different tack on it. I've thought about what you've said any number of times. But to be honest, most of the mods I'm doing are just normalizing things, I'm not really making new things. The few "new" things I am making are DIY'd (such as the Quad Ring Mod panel I did this week, or that weird panel that looks like 3 spark plugs with red plug wires).

Hmmm ... I suppose I think of my synth like a "street drag car". A professionally built purpose designed drag racing car starts out as a pile of steel tubing and a drawing. There's literally NOTHING from the original car left in the racing version. However, in "street outlaw" racing (or in AMA Superbike racing from the early 1980s) one must start with a stock vehicle that actually has a VIN plate. It must retain it's steel roof, rear quarter panels, and at least some of the stock frame. This is to keep the costs under control, and give even the garage born race car owner a fighting chance (same goes for the late 1970s/early 1980s AMA Production Superbikes class .. it had to start from a store bought street bike, not a pile of steel tubing and an engineering drawing).

It's what people do with their vehicles, they start with no real end-plan and slowly .... piece by piece ... weekend by weekend ... work up to higher and higher performance. That's sortof what I've been doing.

My synth adheres to that ethos. I want to use modified production modules, and simple hand built modules that use the "stock" circuits that anyone can buy as fully completed and working modules. It's a set of "rules" that I am adhering to, just cuz. I like seeing how far I can take modifying the stock Dot Com modules (those things BEG to be modified, I feel like Roger sortof baits the courageous user into doing mods).

It's the same philosophy as the Street Outlaw drag racer or the street legal road race car. How far can you take this street licensed vehicle that you bought before you knew you were going to get into all of this high performance stuff?

Same same with my synth. How far can I take a "production" Dot Com system with all if it's obvious places to improve on?

It would be too easy to just buy PCBs, parts, panels, and put it all together with a fully designed end in mind. I say "easy" because there's nearly no limitations, there's no "fences" that you have to stay within. And it would be nothing different than anyone else's "Pro Mod" (more racing vernacular ... a "Pro Mod" is that car that started as a pile of tubing with a fake fiberglass body, and a plan to make a racing car to start with).

In the end I could have simply purchased a Dave Smith Pro 2 (for half the money!) and had MORE than what the sum of the parts I have. But it would be exactly like everyone else's Pro 2 performance synth ... snooze.

I guess that's all I can say. I just like seeing how far I can push these stock modules into a synth of my design and my preferences. The circuits themselves are left untouched (the stock PCBs I suppose is more accurate). My synth started out as one single row, then I added the second row, then I stuck the two rows together into the weird cab I have now. I kept working with the VCOs and VCFs, changing configurations, goofing with this and that way of configuring 4 VCOs and 2 VCFs. Ultimately landing where I am now. There was no plan. Comes down to my lack of experience with modular synths, I suppose. I just kept trying different things until a picture began to develop in my peanut head of what I wanted in a modular synth. The process literally took years.

After that, I really don't have a good answer for you, Eric. seriously, i just don't get it

The next evolution of my vision of a performance synth is exactly as you are doing yours. Start with bare PCBs, custom designed one-off panels, and a single case (rather than the oddball 2-case method I ended up using in my "stock modded" synth).

Y'know ... a pile of tubing, a racing engine, and a fiberglass body ... with a plan.

thumbs up
Rex Coil 7
Eric the Red wrote:

DAMMIT ERIC! The MSN Smack!

YOUR QUESTION HAUNTS ME!! hmmm.....

I DON'T HAVE A GOOD ANSWER!!! d'oh!

I'M BEGINNING TO RETHINK. dizzy FUUUCCKKKK!!!

ugh .... Dead Banana d'oh!

You've made a very valid point about the DIY approach, Eric.

Anytime it takes a 10K reply to ~explain~ one's self, the explanation is usually countering poor judgement made by the explainer (me) ... see my previous 10K post of me ~ahem~ "articulating" my choices.

(Oakley site tab open on my computer ....)
Eric the Red
It’s been a while.. life has been really kickin me in the taint pretty hard in terms of giving me free time to work on this beast...

Here is an update:
-Parts List: working on getting together a list of everything I need for Haralds big ass Vocoder, Oakley Modules and the Ming Mecca. This should be all the through hole components I need for the stuff I haven’t ordered parts for as well... I think there are close to 250 different components in the order.

-Panels: I worked about an hour on these.. pretty much no progress. Oh well, I’ll be getting a nice big break from work close to Christmas where I can dedicate time to this.

-Cabinets: Picked up a decent sized pile of lumber, your can surprisingly fit a lot of wood in a Fiat!

After talking with the wife about the look/feel of these cabinets.. instead of paint or stain, I’ll be covering them in Orange Vinyl with some stainless hardware for the corners.

Also picked up a roll of “Aluminum Window Screen” that I’ll be spraying White - will serve 2-functions:
1-Airflow / Ventillation
2-NEON LIGHTS!!! Well, LEDs, each row of the case is going to have LED light strips inside to shine through my blank panels and also out of the open jacks

Happy holidays to everyone - hope to have more pictures soon.
Rex Coil 7
ORANGE TOLEX? ... with ~white~? Holy SHIT, Eric ... that's going to look absolutely "mod"!

I'm picturing orange Tolex, like what Orange amplifiers and speaker cabs use.

Pretty cool. thumbs up
Eric the Red
Yes!! That’s the inspiration - we were at the used and abused musician shop on Friday (Music go Round) and saw one of these.
Eric the Red
Minor update... I went on a shopping spree:
-3xDotCom power supplies
-9 Yards of Orange Vinyal
-A bunch of components

Sticking to a small budget, I was able to get some random components and almost all of the resistors needed...

I’m off work from the 22nd - 2nd of next year, so here’s hoping for progress. Next post will include pictures!!
Rex Coil 7
Keep on truckin' ....

*(sig).
Eric the Red
Quick update because I’m proud of what I built... I got the outside of my 3-racks done and put the backside on one of them. This has been a very productive week off of work.

This rack will contain 2-5U rows, and 2-3U rows.

Here’s a sneaky peek of what’s been happening at Ol’ Eric the Reds House...

The circles on the back were made from the mesh wire for door/window screens... they are for both ventilation and internal LED lights!

The pile of stuffed animal carcasses was created by my dog. Her name is Pickles.
Rex Coil 7
See that stuff right there ^^ c'mon, you can see it, it's right there already! Just there beneath the moo cow's little stuffed head.

YES! That's it! That stuff right there ... that's called wood boys and girls. You can tell cause it has 'em knots in it! Knots are them dark brown areas what look like burnt tater chips.

Right on Eric! I love the smell of actual wooden plank over plywood (which smells so heavily of glue).

The orange rocks, excellent job on the finish work. Screens with the holes look really great ... tough and practical. That's gonna be one sick looking synth once the light show begins.

Take a look at what some gamers are into these days ... RGB wiring ... a lot of time the PC gamers that build their own gaming computers use this type of lit-cabling stuff hat can be pretty striking. Sometimes it's called just "RGB" as a general reference.

It may be something you can work into your rig in one manner or another. Inter-cab cabling trunks perhaps?

Carry on. nanners
Eric the Red
Can you guys guess how I spent my New Years?

Made a bit more progress...

From the front:

From the back:

Next steps:
1. cut/Vinyl the individual rows for the modules.
2. Add wood rails
3. Add LED strips
4. Add mounting brackets for bus bars
5. Install “shelves”

This will probably all happen between this week and next week, which realistically means 2-3 weeks..
JohnLRice
Eric the Red wrote:
Can you guys guess how I spent my New Years?

Made a bit more progress...
Good job! SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo Everyone knows the coolest kids stay home on New Year's Eve and work on modular synths! That's what I did! hihi thumbs up
Eric the Red
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
See that stuff right there ^^ c'mon, you can see it, it's right there already! Just there beneath the moo cow's little stuffed head.

YES! That's it! That stuff right there ... that's called wood boys and girls. You can tell cause it has 'em knots in it! Knots are them dark brown areas what look like burnt tater chips.

Right on Eric! I love the smell of actual wooden plank over plywood (which smells so heavily of glue).

Take a look at what some gamers are into these days ... RGB wiring ... a lot of time the PC gamers that build their own gaming computers use this type of lit-cabling stuff hat can be pretty striking. Sometimes it's called just "RGB" as a general reference.

Carry on. nanners

Thanks B!! Real wood is the only choice for this, WBT makes it easier, is these pieces just needed to be trimmed to length. I just picked up a bunch of 6Ft planks and cut them down. For the backs/shelves, I’m using 1/2 inch MDF. I hate that stuff - it creates so much dust and always smells like burning when it is being cut.

For brighter blinker PC builder cables, I used those when I built a few computers back in the day... but I think I’ll skip that one.

For the Euro Stuff, maybe I’ll get these: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=111225&postdays=0&po storder=asc&start=0

Thanks John.. it’s nice that the wifey doesn’t mind having me take over the house as I worked on these.
Eric the Red
Haha skipped my whole “finish the cabinets” to-do list and started working on Bus Bars!

I’m making a total of 4-sets, 3x5U 1xEuro.

I drilled the holes in 1.5 Bars. 13.5 Bars to go!!
Eric the Red

More pics and details coming soon... off to my Baby shower!!
Rex Coil 7
Eric the Red wrote:

More pics and details coming soon...

Mmmmm ... colors ..... Drunken Homer Simpson

Eric the Red wrote:
.... off to my Baby shower!!
Her name is just beautiful, Eric. Absolutely beautiful. Congratulations!!!

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
Eric the Red

The last 9 months have been a little crazy in Eric the Reds House. I would like to introduce you guys to Violet Moon. Future wiggler. Now that she is born, I get back into My DIY project.

The wife is excited for me to get on this thing and finish it so that she (and the baby) can both play it.

-Eric
Rex Coil 7
OH MY GOD ... SHE'S JUST BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Wow ... she's sure got the "red" goin' on! She looks to be "a ginger", along with the Viking red skin.

I'm so happy for you and your wife, Eric. Time to get your Daddy on!

(I can't WAIT to show her to Missi, my wife! ... She's outside tending to her colony of feral cats, she'll be back inside in just a few minutes).

thumbs up
Faustgeist
Hi Violet!

Super cool Eric. Congrats. hyper
~R
Rex Coil 7
When my wife saw the picture, she gasped "she's so pretty! ... how precious!".

Hug nodnod
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 4 of 6