MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Need a use for NOS VACTEC Vactrol vtl5c3/2 and vtl5c2 extras
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Need a use for NOS VACTEC Vactrol vtl5c3/2 and vtl5c2 extras
acgenerator
I found a few of these in the bottom of my parts bin. My project plate is empty at the moment, so what do I use these for? Recommendations please.

1) obviously they are trade-able but I can't think of any rare parts I need at the moment except perhaps a Voltrax speech chip. Not looking to trade for the sake of trading.
2) What are some good kits that require these? I've build the Fontronik Triple Resonator already. What else is worth using these on? (I'm currently a Eurorack household)
3) what are some good mod targets? I've got 20+ rows of stuff with about 50% being Doepfer.... so lots of analague. I have multiple LPGs so I think I'm covered there.
duff
The L-1 Mutant Vactrol filter is an interesting beast.
pre55ure
The obvious reply is most anything Buchla from the 200 series.

(edit) just reread your post.

If you want to stay Euro and have plenty of LPG's Hmmm....

There are still a few buchla esq projects - I think J3rk's 291 boards and panel are still available in euro. There is a DIY clone of the 259 that I have seen around here as well.
Honestly I'd say if the Buchla stuff doesn't interest you, and you can't find anything your excited about - would be best to just sell them. No use using whats quickly becoming a rare beast in a project where an electronic goldmine .50 cent vactrol could do just as well. Sort of like using a ua726 in your atari punk console.
acgenerator
pre55ure wrote:

As stated I'm a Eurorack guy. My understanding is Buchla stuff is quite expensive but I know there are clones out there. Any specific kits you had in mind? I'm sure most of it has Eurorack counterparts.
acgenerator
pre55ure wrote:
There are still a few buchla esq projects - I think J3rk's 291 boards and panel are still available in euro. There is a DIY clone of the 259 that I have seen around here as well.
Honestly I'd say if the Buchla stuff doesn't interest you, and you can't find anything your excited about - would be best to just sell them. No use using whats quickly becoming a rare beast in a project where an electronic goldmine .50 cent vactrol could do just as well. Sort of like using a ua726 in your atari punk console.

Agreed, i don't want to waste them on a senseless mod. I don't have to search the couch for beer money at this point in my life so there's no rush to sell.

Buchla stuff interests me but running out and getting an easel to put a vactrol to use is a bit reckless. If there was a kit that makes for a good conversion or a comparatively low entry point I'd consider Buchla or MU kits.

In short: I found them, became elated at the find, and then drew a blank of what to actually do with them.
acgenerator
So looking at what I have in the rack these are probably the best candidates... I'd have to unrack them to see if there is actually opportunity to add the vactrols to some of these

Known Viable Targets
A-140 ADSR / A-141-2 VCADSR
A-145/A-147 LFOs
A-143-1 Quad AD/LFO
A-170 Slew / A-171-2 VC Slew
A-196 PLL
A-124 Wasp filter
A-120 Diode Ladder Filter
A-106-5 SEM filer
A-106-1 Xtreme filter

Unknown if viable - has CV input
A-133 Polarizer
A-111-1 VCO
A-163 Voltage Divider
A-137-1 Wave-multiplier (wave folder)
A-136 Distortion
A-116 Waveform processor
Grendel Formant Filter
Epoch TwinPeak
Chronoblob Delay
IFM Swoop

Unknown if viable w/o CV input
A-142-4 Quad Decay
A-114 Ring Mod
A-119 External In / Envelope follower

various Switches
A-150/A-151/Branches/etc
BlackCrowSounds
You could see if someone has some less sought after vactrols that you could trade your NOS ones for. Then you'd have more vactrols to play around with and someone who wants to build rare buchla stuff can.
SoundPool
Fonik's PS resonator clones - they sound great (vactrol resonators like these and the Doepfer one have been my favorite modules for years), but each ones will require 3 vactrols. I actually have one where one channel has a dead vactrol I gotta replace Dead Banana
wackelpeter
Second the Mutant vactrol filter, also there are some phasers including Vactrols (like the Serge phaser, but don't know if there are euro-boards) and then there's the Wogglebug, maybe some Vactrol crossfader, the 291 BPF, Buchla envelope Follower, Buchla balanced Modulator, Scott Bernardi's VC PT2399 delay, etc.

Speaking of the Mutant Vactrol Filter, Scott Stites als designed a cool multistage phaser, which can be found on his site.
http://www.birthofasynth.com/Scott_Stites/Pages/multiphase_tech.html
acgenerator
anyone else with ideas?
LoFi Junglist
Thomas White resonant low pass gates

Build 'em then sell 'em, buy something shiny.
acgenerator
Do people really buy many built-from-kit modules? I never see anything except Turing's or sometimes Klee's sell. My impression is that most of the buyers of assembled modules are newbies who haven't learned to solder or can't do Surface Mount yet. Are there realistically buyers of a well-assembled LPG or Resonant Filter if I were to build up a few?

I'd consider this option, if there was a realistic chance at turning over the modules within a few weeks of completion. If I could build for fun, try them out and part ways with a few different modules. I'm not worried about the "value of my time" factor in the end selling price.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1