MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

outboard delay alternative
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author outboard delay alternative
cocco88
hi everyone
just sold my DLD because because downsizing my case and didn't quite use it as max potential (just using for double delay without patching so much)

looking for an outboard alternative o a mixed solution
here's my thoughts:

- behringer combo: reverb machine + echo machine
low cost, like 60€ used, seems cool but need lot of cables and not so headphones friendly

- earthquaker devices avalanche run
compact, just one pedal, like all the demos i ear but not so low cost and still not headphones friendly

- zoom ms70cdr
look cool, don't know how much performative, same headphones problem

- 2hp delay and verb
small and compact, bit pricey

- critter & guitari organelle
strange option but super powerful, can build my own sounds and controls, has headphones out, can use it standalone both as processor an synth, cons the price

am i missing something?
any ideas or suggestions?

thanks
Futuresound
If you need headphones, almost any pedal will require some sort of mixer or something.

I can attest that the Avalanche Run is great - it can really add some ambient magic to a patch. The Dispatch Master is a more affordable option with the same basic idea, so that could be worth looking into as well.
calaveras
well dont even look at the Boss DD20 'gigadelay'. It never gets to 100% wet. Sounds good, but only for tasteful amounts of delay.
The Roland/Boss RE20 has reverb and delay and sounds pretty good. I've never owned one, only messed with other folks units.
Malekko makes several really tiny delay pedals that all sound frickin stellar, but they are short on controls.
Hainbach
Look no further: http://www.bastl-instruments.com/instruments/thyme/
rean1mator
The tc electronic d-two is a pretty good delay.
Chopper
I use the mentionned boss RE20 for outboard "character" stuff, MS20 and so on, and i am very happy with it. The 2hp combo you mentionned is something i recently aquired for the modular stuff, and have to mention that
A: not that expensive when you consider the usual eurorack alternative.
B: the very small space is something i though i would struggle with, but actually, considering reverbs tend ro be "set and forget", it's a godsend.
C: it sounds pretty good! I am into dark ambient and drone, and those effects are crucial for me. I am very happy with those.
mousegarden
Depends what music you're into, but the BEL BD80s is my all-time favourite delay.
13 secs, a genuine controllable "Frippertronics" style delay, with great modulation. And no irritating clicks or glitches when you change parameters, unlike TC units.

MrTurboparrot
TC Electronic Flashback! (has hold and time signature recognition software - perfect for syncing).

Multiple modes, stereo, and relatively cheap! Also has a looper and an editable parameter option!!! Rockin' Banana!
lamouette/rck
OTO Bim ?
geremyf
I recently bought a strymon dig strictly for dual delay. I like it a lot.
Sinamsis
I have an avalanche run. It is wonderful. I also have an Empress Echosystem on the way, which I think will be awesome. Pricey. But you can run two delay algos at once, in series or parallel. Kind of awesome. I also love my Strymon Timeline. The Echosystem probably has more bells and whistles. But the Timeline is incredibly well thought out and easy to use.
GovernorSilver
I have two analog delays that I like - the Way Huge Echo Puss and the Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man 550TT.

You didn't post a budget, but it sounds like you don't want to spend too much. In that case the Echo Puss is closer in price to the ever popular MXR Carbon Copy delay.

I have not seen a dedicated delay pedal that has a headphone output. Yes there are many multieffects units that do have one, but you did not ask about them. You will have to run the delay output into a mixer or other device that has the headphone output.
HOTFACE
I'm not a Behringer hater (I've got a lot of bits) but the Echo Machine I really didn't like, sounded mushy and the tap tempo was awful.

On the other hand their Virtualizer 3D is very decent (although rack) wide range of effects, sounds good (in a crunchy 90s way) and very programmable and cheap.
mousegarden
Check this out....

Catchthehare
Just had my first few hours with the Empress Echosystem and it really is incredible. There's so much there to explore. I was debating about getting the DLD for a while, but I'm really glad I didn't now. Echosystem is lush thumbs up
orangehexagon
I highly recommend checking out the Eventide Pitchfactor and the Timefactor
clusterchord
in 8 out of 10 times i prefer analog and tape for delay duties. my favs:

roland space echo re201
boss dm300 - best BBD i ever heard
ehx memoryman deluxe - late 70s/early 80s, best harmonix made

love digital usually for dual delays, ping pong, reverse, pitch, and more complex stuff.

eventide timefactor & styrmon el capistan - i use for live tweakage

el cap is not really a 201 but nice and very musical on its own. think the humongous popularity is well deserved.

empress looks and sounds nice but i like more dedicated controls for each of the two delays, so doubt i will replace my timefactor with it.
rockmanrock
cocco88 wrote:

- behringer combo: reverb machine + echo machine
low cost, like 60€ used, seems cool but need lot of cables and not so headphones friendly

I've got the Echo Machine and it's pretty good. The feedback overdrives nicely for Tape and BBD modes, and there's a straight digi mode as well. Ping-pong, reverse, filter-sweep, multi-tap, and the pedal itself can be tapped to set the time. They're getting a bit pricey and hard to get hold of though.

cocco88 wrote:

am i missing something?
any ideas or suggestions?

The Biyang delay pedals are excellent for very little money. PT2399 digital chip based, but they sound more analogue than digital. The repeats degrade nicely due to an analogue filtered feedback path. Nice smooth sealed pots and good knobs. Worth having one of these and an Echo Machine as they sound so different. I have found these pedals are best run on a good power supply like Thomann's Harley Benton PowerPlant Junior to avoid ground loops.

HOTFACE wrote:
I'm not a Behringer hater (I've got a lot of bits) but the Echo Machine I really didn't like, sounded mushy and the tap tempo was awful.

On the other hand their Virtualizer 3D is very decent (although rack) wide range of effects, sounds good (in a crunchy 90s way) and very programmable and cheap.

This is interesting. The Echo Machine seems pretty good to me. I've got a Virtualizer DSP2024P, the one before they upgraded it to the 3D FX2000. The delays in that are alright, but quite plain by comparison. There is some slight filtering going on, but unlike the Echo Machine there's no attempt at modelling analogue grot. What the delays like on the 3D version? I'd love to know if the DSP2024P could be upgraded with an EPROM swap.
Johnnyfive
calaveras wrote:
well dont even look at the Boss DD20 'gigadelay'. It never gets to 100% wet. Sounds good, but only for tasteful amounts of delay.

you can get it 100% wet if you set the outputs correctly. it also has a headphone out. pretty solid pedal with a few different algos (clean diigital, tape emulation, ping pong, etc). you can also send it cv clock to tap tempo.
slicetwo
I love my TC Flashback and Alter Ego V2 pedals for delay. They have "strum" tempo instead of tap tempo, which can be annoying for certain situations, but I don't mind. The toneprint stuff is great, too.
mousegarden
Liking my TC Triple.
mg05
Koma Fieldkit FX
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1