MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Triple Chorus Transformer/Build Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Triple Chorus Transformer/Build Thread
ekoch
I'm building the JH triple chorus with onboard PSU. Currently attempting to source a 18vac transformer that will fit on 3mm standoffs in a case 1.74in high. Found a couple on Ebay that might BARELY fit, but if anyone knows a source of good quality slim toroidal type it'd be appreciated. thanks in advance.
letness
I don't have an answer, I'm afraid, but a related question.

I'm gathering parts for my own Triple Chorus build, and I'm wondering whether there is any advantage to using an onboard transformer instead of a wall wart. Do you anticipate better sonic performance? Is it a switching v. linear issue for this application?

Sorry that I can't answer your question--maybe the bump will nudge someone who can.
ekoch
letness wrote:
I don't have an answer, I'm afraid, but a related question.

I'm gathering parts for my own Triple Chorus build, and I'm wondering whether there is any advantage to using an onboard transformer instead of a wall wart. Do you anticipate better sonic performance? Is it a switching v. linear issue for this application?

Sorry that I can't answer your question--maybe the bump will nudge someone who can.

From what I understand wallmount transformers introduce more ripple and noise. This will effect the performance of the instrument...I learned this with Eurorack. The upgrade from an external cheap psu and "bus power" to Hinton was like night and day for me and really sold me on this question. I've built another such rack effect with an external psu and it sounds just fine but I'm sure it would sound better with a different supply. The transformer also vibrates against the plastic and has to be constantly adjusted.

I think wiring the transformer, besides sourcing, introduces lots of potential problems. The technician at my job told me toroidal transformers have to be shielded with a metal case to avoid noise in the audio path. Also need to invest in a heat gun etc to properly do the job. I'm after the skill though so it's worth it to me.
ekoch
It's really great to have an experienced technician at your job haha...he pointed out to me that I could just use a 36ct transformer and just connect one of the secondary windings. Turns out there are many more 36 than 18vac transformers on mouser.

I will likely use something like this. seems like plenty of clearance.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond-Manufacturing/186B36/?qs=s GAEpiMZZMvwUzoUXIIvyQPvPmwnNFGyT14KhvTaHWE%3d
letness
Thanks for the insight re: wall warts v. internal transformers--for some reason, I hadn't connected the dots between modular PSUs and self-contained projects. Having zero experience with mains power, I think I'll stick to an AC wart for now (which, if I'm understanding the power options correctly, should work).

Glad you found a transformer that will fit your build!
sanders
I have one of these PCBs, and accompanying BBDs that I'd love to get started on soon. The power supply was one of the details holding me up as I'd like to build my Triple Chorus as a stand alone as well. I'll probably try the same transformer you've found, if it ends up working well.

I'd be super grateful if someone would use this or another topic to document their TC build, to any extent. I always find it very helpful and inspiring to see how others approach the same problems I'm likely to encounter.
ekoch
sanders wrote:
I have one of these PCBs, and accompanying BBDs that I'd love to get started on soon. The power supply was one of the details holding me up as I'd like to build my Triple Chorus as a stand alone as well. I'll probably try the same transformer you've found, if it ends up working well.

I'd be super grateful if someone would use this or another topic to document their TC build, to any extent. I always find it very helpful and inspiring to see how others approach the same problems I'm likely to encounter.

I am building a pair of units..would be happy to share my process on here. Have the panels in hand now so hopefully getting started with it in a couple weeks or so. These projects are always slow cookers for me though meh
letness
Also happy to share my build as it progresses--likely in stomp-box form, I'm thinking (would love to see your panels tho, ekoch). Planning to get started in a few weeks, but might have a BOM sooner, if that's at all helpful.
ekoch

Here are the panels manufactured by Julian. He helped me with the final drafting of the designs and happened to have some lovely blue aluminum on hand. Just ordered the TDA's so work should begin soon. I have a BOM project as well, just needs another proofreading
Luka
fwiw all my JH desktop units use a 15vac plug pack transformer powering the psu half rectified.
sammy123
I'm glad to see this thread as I am just about to build this into a 1u rack. I'm going to do a wall wart though.
keninverse
Late to this party but I build all my audio projects with toroidal transformers never had any problems and only shield them in projects like mic pres.
letness
Those panels look great! Thanks for sharing them.

Excuse my total ignorance of power supplies, but does half-rectified refer to the type of transformer in the wall wart/plug pack, or the diodes (and other components?) on the board?

I've got here a Triad 18V 0.66A wart (WSU180-0660) and a Yamaha PA-20, which is 17.5V x2 0.90A. I'm assuming that either will work, but that the PA-20 is overkill? If anyone has a better suggestion, I'd be grateful.
letness
Also, here's my working mouser BOM, which should contain everything needed for the board itself (no pots, switches, connectors, etc.). If anyone spots any errors, or has suggestions for swapping components, I'd be happy to update it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1