MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How could I join two 3U Intellijel power entries?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author How could I join two 3U Intellijel power entries?
khiner
I have done little-to-no DIY stuff except for a few kits, so my skill/imagination-level is quite low when it comes to this stuff. But I have what I think would be a pretty easy project for the more inclined, so I seek your advice.

I have two Intellijel power entries in my large case. One is on the row right under the other. And lately I've been fiending for just a few more HP (I can stop any time!!) In order to get an extra 4HP in my rack, I wanted to frankenstein them together like this:

I could cut out extra holes in one of them, pull out the switch/jack/wiring from the other and place it in, but was thinking it would be way easier just to cut out the lower half from both and just flip one and put them in the same row!

The only issue I foresee with this approach is that there would be no support in the middle since they'd just be two halves.

What would be the best (low-effort hopefully!) way to... weld?... the two halves together without making it look unseemly?

Or should I take another approach altogether?

Thanks in advance.
khiner
Oh! Also, what tool(s) would I need to split them? smile
Rob_C
khiner wrote:
The only issue I foresee with this approach is that there would be no support in the middle since they'd just be two halves.

What would be the best (low-effort hopefully!) way to... weld?... the two halves together without making it look unseemly?

In general, two pieces of aluminum that butt up against each other can be secured with a piece of aluminum (a "backer board") behind them, with JB Weld Steel Reinforced Epoxy to glue everything together.

But you don't have much room to play with between the two switches. And by cutting the panels in two, you will lose some material, even if it's the width of a hacksaw blade. Nibbling tools are easy to use, but a nibbler will take away about 1/4" of material in making a cut.

You could make a custom panel with Front Panel Express.

Or just get a blank panel, and two switches that mount in round holes. Drilling a hole is easier than cutting or punching a square opening. Select a switch that has an indicator light. Often these are found in auto parts stores to power 12 volt accessories.
RecycleYourPets
I also recommend just making your own on front panel express, and it might be a little fun too. Certainly cheaper than any tools you would have needed to buy otherwiae
duff
Do you need them in the rack? You could always make a hole in the side or back of your case and mount both to there. You'd have 8hp free then.
livefreela
when i added the extra boards to my case, I just switched the toggle to a 2 pole and just drilled an extra hole for the 2nd barrel jack...
khiner
livefreela wrote:
when i added the extra boards to my case, I just switched the toggle to a 2 pole and just drilled an extra hole for the 2nd barrel jack...

That is a great idea, thanks!
khiner
duff wrote:
Do you need them in the rack? You could always make a hole in the side or back of your case and mount both to there. You'd have 8hp free then.

I might go this way eventually, went with the power entry modules for convenience since I had the room. I'm probably just prolonging the inevitable here. I do like having the switches on the front, too.
khiner
Rob_C wrote:
khiner wrote:

In general, two pieces of aluminum that butt up against each other can be secured with a piece of aluminum (a "backer board") behind them, with JB Weld Steel Reinforced Epoxy to glue everything together.

But you don't have much room to play with between the two switches. And by cutting the panels in two, you will lose some material, even if it's the width of a hacksaw blade. Nibbling tools are easy to use, but a nibbler will take away about 1/4" of material in making a cut.

You could make a custom panel with Front Panel Express.

Or just get a blank panel, and two switches that mount in round holes. Drilling a hole is easier than cutting or punching a square opening. Select a switch that has an indicator light. Often these are found in auto parts stores to power 12 volt accessories.

Thanks for the clear instructions, this is just what I need.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1