MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Recommend external oscilloscopes
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Recommend external oscilloscopes
witchbutter
I've been using an OTool+ but I'd like to get an external oscilloscope also. Recommendations? Are all of these as versatile as the OTool?
flx
I'd like to know the same thing. Ideally cheap, digital, with XY inputs and a small form factor Mr. Green
ranix
I have an OWON, it was super cheap and pretty useful. Rigol is better known on the cheap end. If you want to splurge the Keysight scopes are nicer, http://www.keysight.com/en/pcx-2759552/infiniivision-1000-x-series-osc illoscopes?nid=-32110.0&cc=US&lc=eng or check out the 3000 series if you want to get fancy
Snuckyfication
I also have the O'tool+ but would like to go to an external with a bigger screen. I will check-out the models you are mentioning....but... how the heck do you connect from your eurorack modular to the oscilloscope and back??? I mean is the external oscilloscope having 3.5mm jack inputs and outputs??
Sorry for the noob question but I really don't have a clue...
Cheers
abelovesfun
I have a tektronix for serious work, but for eye candy (and module demos) I just use this: https://aisynthesis.com/cheap-eurorack-oscilloscope/

It's a whopping $26 for the DIY version and a bit more for a prebuilt. If you use a multiple, then patching in and out of modular is easy-peasy. No XY, and a fair amount of noise, but it's cheap and has a big display.
forestcaver
I have one of the dso138s. Easy build and produces pretty pictures - useful for diy work or just additional fun with the synth. I also have a Rigol ds1052e which is fantastic value for money and used for more serious diy debugging as well as pretty pictures :-)

Snuckyfixation: I connect it via bare 3.5mm jacks that are clipped to the probes. Then I just either connect directly or use a mult...

Edit - sorry, my post reads like a duplicate of abelovesfun's ! I was typing when he submitted! Apologies! :-)
Sideshow
If you want eyecandy, nothing beats an analog scope with phosphorous screen.
However if you want something cheap and versatile, there's something called PicoScope that connects to your computer. And of course you can get even cheaper knock offs at Ebay.
Dave Peck
flx wrote:
I'd like to know the same thing. Ideally cheap, digital, with XY inputs and a small form factor Mr. Green

Why would you prefer a digital scope for viewing analog synth waveforms? I think an analog scope looks a lot better, and you can get good used analog scopes for really cheap because they don't work for viewing high speed digital signals - which you don't need to do when using it with an analog synth. Ebay has plenty of good analog scopes for less than a hundred bucks.
mt3
Any inexpensive spectrum analyzers?
auxren
I have a degree in EE and have used some top notch equipment in labs but with my modular (Eurorack), I just use an Audio Damage Odio to iPad. I use a free oscilloscope and spectrum analyzer app and it works really well. The only thing it doesn't do well is determining exact voltages. For that, I use one of these: https://www.adafruit.com/product/468
For more exacting time/voltage work when designing and debugging modules, I use a Saleae Logic Pro 8
Shledge
Just get a cheap analogue scope. I got mine off ebay for £60.
mt3
Yes, but if you know of any inexpensive, feature rich scopes that are ubiquitous then point them out.
PatchMonger
Any old tektronix would be great. There are lots in Ebay (UK cool) and they are great. That is the brand I learned electronics in college and I have tried a few, all great! It is however not the cheapest but will serve you for years
calaveras
Heathkit, Zenith and other not so famous brands are often pretty affordable used.
Tektronix or HP can go for hundreds for an ok, old, out of date model.
Less popular brands are often well under $100. I got my last two for $40 and $70 respectively.
Thing is, oscopes go way up into the tens of megahertz range. We don't need that for audio. You only need 20 kilohertz max!
There are also a lot of other features like digital storage, USB, LAN, color and multiple inputs that are pretty standard for electronics use, but superfluous for our use.
Also, I actually prefer an analog, CRT oscope to the digital LCD ones which all seem to have this lag and slow update. Maybe the pricey Tektronix ones are better?
On my analog scope I can see tiny things like spurious noise from turning a plug in a jack.
Shledge
I love the look of CRT scopes myself, but then again I love the concept of CRTs themselves - basically mini particle accelerators. The green glow is a joy to see, and the smoothness adds to the experience.

I also have an O'Tool, and I do love it too for what it does, but frankly for seeing soundwaves analogue scopes are IMHO far better.
placebo92
Critter and guitari videoscope seems cool, then again not exactly a traditional oscilloscope razz (I'm just trying to fill my 2 required postings, I'll leave now) Driving
BillLynes
You get what you pay for. Tektronix all the way for me. Many years as a satisfied Tek user at work and at play. My current model is the TDS3034B.
BillLynes
On the other end of the scale. I stuck a JYETech DSO112A on a blank panel.
Robscorch
BillLynes wrote:
On the other end of the scale. I stuck a JYETech DSO112A on a blank panel.

While not a bad idea it does take up HP which is an expensive way to use an oscilloscope. I like the O'Tool idea as well, but honestly the the ebay old school/lab left overs can be had for dimes on dollars.
arthurdent
I recently bought the Rigol DS1054Z, cost me $350 new. And there's a simple hack to take it from 50MHz to 100MHz if you want/need it. I spent a lot of time looking at used scopes at a local surplus equipment place - prices from $100 to $200, Tektronix, HP - they looked nice but there was no guarantee/assurance on calibration, they all needed probes so I just went new. Very happy with it.
dooj88
i've been looking around for one for 6 months or so, and whenever i find one i'm always stumped by the listed specs, like "maybe this wasn't designed to work for what i want to do with it.."

so when it says something like:

DC -15MHz DUAL TRACE
115V / 230V
50/400Hz

in terms of audio frequencies, if 50-400 Hz indicates a certain range of measurement, that would be far too limited. though i don't know if that's what it's telling me.
BillLynes
dooj88 wrote:
i've been looking around for one for 6 months or so, and whenever i find one i'm always stumped by the listed specs, like "maybe this wasn't designed to work for what i want to do with it.."

so when it says something like:

DC -15MHz DUAL TRACE
115V / 230V
50/400Hz

in terms of audio frequencies, if 50-400 Hz indicates a certain range of measurement, that would be far too limited. though i don't know if that's what it's telling me.

Typically a scope specs will list the max freq or freq range, DC-15MHz in your case. 115v/230v means you can use it with a 115v AC or 230v AC supply, with a 50/400 Hz supply frequency.

Other things to consider are the sampling rate if it's a digital scope, number of channels, and max input voltage.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1