MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Multiphase Build
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Multiphase Build
Kosalos
I built a rendition of Scott Stites' Multiphase phaser

2.7x4" single sided board, all through hole.
All parts from Tayda (where LDRs are $0.24)

The major change was to use 16 single LDRs, and to bunch them all together so they are illuminated by a single LED.
The video shows me messing around before the LED shroud was attached.
Circuit works great, and the different Tap points all have distinctive sounds.

[/video]
notmiserlouagain
Let me be the first to congratulate!
Nice sounds, build and pcb-layout!
Guinness ftw!
What LDRs did you use, btw.?
Kosalos
thanks

I used Photo Conductive Cell Resistor LDR 650nm RADIAL KE-10720 :

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/photo-conductive-cell-resistor-ldr-65 0nm-radial-ke-10720.html.
ClausF
Cool! Guinness ftw!
Kosalos
I noticed in another thread the Kraut VCF, that uses kinda large light bulbs for its vactrols. I found a small bulb at Frys: the MB_382, 14V, 0.08 amps, 1.12 watts.
Substituted it for the LED in the Multiphase vactrol (bypassing the 1K LED resistor).
Works great! Much more vibrant, throaty, meaty than the LED!
I'll try it in the WoggleBug next...
wackelpeter
Cool. Have this on my to do list, since i've discovered it on Scotts site.

Also a nice idea to illuminate all those LDR's with just a single LED...
Have you matched all the LDR's for that?

I also read somewhere that yellow wuld be the best solution vor Vactrols and tested it at my latest build the BPF section of Scotts Mutant Vactrol VCF but after some experiments struck with my red LED's which controls my LDR's over a much wider range...

How's the range of those LDR's? I usually use some that go down to some 400-700 ohms and up to 10-30Mohms, depending on light.

Only thing i'm not so lucky about is that on my Serge Phaser i've build with my home made vactrols the response is a little bit to fast, for faster CV not that bad but when you want a slow and smooth sweeping tone from the phaser i can imagine more perfect solutions... Even with a nice sine or lag circuit i wasn't able to get it that smooth as desired.
A more log or anti-log response from the LDR's would be more beneficial i guess. hmmm... maybe i should try something with a 10-20Mohm resistor in parallel...

edit: just found the data sheet for your LDR's... seems as i use some with a smaller light on resistance and should try out some with a bigger resistance next time...
Kosalos
found a description of the bulb I used:
https://www.grainger.com/product/GE-LIGHTING-Trade-Number-382-1C890

these look promising, and even cheaper:
http://www.topbulb.com/eiko-7219-12v-06a-t-1-wire-terminal?19840570509 1&pla&EI42390&319957927120&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqN7K5LeY1gIVDgOGCh3UtwE8E AQYBCABEgIzKvD_BwE

I bet they are plenty bright for our purposes.
The vactrol has the best effect when the bulb is just barely glowing; it's never used at full brightness. I'll get some to try..

The circuit I'm using has an attenuator on the CV input as well as offset, so dialing in the vactrol sweet spot is always possible, although sensitive.

Haven't tried different colors, always used red LEDs.

No, LDR's were not matched, just cheap and available.

I've built a rendition of the Mutant VCF. I'll use it to test the new bulbs.
wackelpeter
Kosalos wrote:

The vactrol has the best effect when the bulb is just barely glowing; it's never used at full brightness. I'll get some to try..

The circuit I'm using has an attenuator on the CV input as well as offset, so dialing in the vactrol sweet spot is always possible, although sensitive.

Haven't tried different colors, always used red LEDs.

No, LDR's were not matched, just cheap and available.

I've built a rendition of the Mutant VCF. I'll use it to test the new bulbs.

That's one of the things i noticed on the Mutant VCF, without trimming my LED's were always very decently glowing... only visible in darkness... firstly it caused some head scratching...

Maybe the result with matched LDR's would be better... i noticed some greater resistor ranges when testing their Response in the CV circuit... okay these were really cheap ones from asia, maybe that's just the result from lesser manufacturing standards...

The Mutant VCF, at least my BPF really kicks ass, and i can't understand how People could complain it wasn't self oscillating... I had hard times to tame the oscillation to an for me acceptable level, even with the clipping Diode included.
Must have something to do with my LDR range perhaps...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1