MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

binary zone
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author binary zone
tuj
o
o
o.o.

o
o
o.o.

omg.

This module freakin rules. I cannot believe how left out the guys exclusively in euroland must feel? I'm in love. Are there any other worthwhile pattern generators like this, euro or frack?
qu.one
i do love my noisering (euro)... but i ordered a BZ earlier this week! can't wait to have my row of blacet in the mix.
Kwote
I love my noisering (frac) ! I want another, (Euro). I'll also take another BZ, Divider/Logic and a side order of homefries!!
Kwote
PS:

\m/ .V. \m/
Kent
The Badassery Zone is my favorite Frac module on most days. Very closely followed by the Metalbox Wave Multiplier.
rezzn8r
tuj wrote:
Are there any other worthwhile pattern generators like this, euro or frack?

I think the BZ is pretty unique. I've not seen anything else quite like it. Paired with a quantizer it's pure genius.
You'll find much love here at Muff's for the Binary Zone.
Another worthwhile, but totally different pattern generator would be the Klee.
cram1960
I just got the BZ recently, and (since I'm kinda new to modularity in general)

I can't seem to figure out how to put it to good use.

Can someone give me some beginner's tips/suggestions to using this thing well?

Thanks!

Craig
haricots
I just scored a 5U Binary Zone. I had one when I owned a Frac system and miss it. It will be nice to have it back.
tuj
cram1960 wrote:

Setup your basic vco->vcf->vca patch, vca mod'ed by eg, use a sequencer for cv to the vco and for the gate to the eg. then run the seq clock to the binary zone, and the binary zone out to the decay of the eq, no attack, sustain or release, and use it to modulate the decay.

http://www.renkucorp.com/audio/exm/bz_dirty.mp3
cram1960
Thanks tuj,

I tried it this afternoon, but I switched it up and drove the BZ into my Kraftzwerg for the drum-like rhythm on this:

http://soundcloud.com/cram1960/modular-army-minimarch
rezzn8r
haricots wrote:
I just scored a 5U Binary Zone. I had one when I owned a Frac system and miss it. It will be nice to have it back.

5U BZ! Sweet score! w00t your old frac BZ is doing quite well, by the way hihi
Kwote
cram1960 wrote:
I just got the BZ recently, and (since I'm kinda new to modularity in general)

I can't seem to figure out how to put it to good use.

Thanks!

Craig

Taken from this thread: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18447

I have both the BZ and Divider/Logic. They go really well together. I cooked up a cool patch last night where I was running the BZ main out to trigger a kick(Metalbox 8008) and getting some crazy pattern while running the BZ’s clock to the Divider and using the outs from that to trigger my snare(Cynare) and hat(filtered white noise enveloped by dual ad) sounds. Pretty cool stuff. A lot that can be discovered with this method.

More of my two cents: Leave the output on the 5v position and keep the /2 and /4 up the most. Of course it's just general. Play around with all the divisions as much as possible and discover all the infinite patterns.
babysealclub
I added a bicolor led to my BZ lag circuit. I was going to add a trig in to switch the lag setting, but sold it before I had a chance.

-TF
electrik noize
tuj wrote:
I cannot believe how left out the guys exclusively in euroland must feel?

I read that one can take a divide by N module and a biploar mixer and
achieve similar results, maybe not quite the same though... Anyone tried this?
DGTom
Yep, takes several modules & abit of patching, but, 160, 2 X 138cs & an 171 will pretty much get you there. Still won't have the "hold / reset" input & a few other tricks, still a cool patch tho.

babysealclub wrote:
I was going to add a trig in to switch the lag setting,

This is a really good idea! Might take a look at doing it actually, I 'play' the lag button alot anyway, being able to pulse it would be awesome!
babysealclub
I think for the LED mod I just used a three lead common cathode led with one anode (and current limiting resistor) to U5 pin 1 and the other to U5 pin 13.

You might try putting a jumper from R12 to the lag switch. This way you maybe could use the internal clock for lag switching.

Just an idea.

Wish I still had mine...

-TF
rezzn8r
tuj wrote:
cram1960 wrote:

binary zone out to the decay of the eq, no attack, sustain or release, and use it to modulate the decay.

Kwote wrote:
I have both the BZ and Divider/Logic. They go really well together. I cooked up a cool patch last night where I was running the BZ main out to trigger a kick(Metalbox 8008) and getting some crazy pattern while running the BZ’s clock to the Divider and using the outs from that to trigger my snare(Cynare) and hat(filtered white noise enveloped by dual ad) sounds. Pretty cool stuff. A lot that can be discovered with this method.

Great ideas.
I tend to use it a lot as a sequencer plugged to 1v/oct of a vco with, or without quantizing.
Lately I've been using it to program key transpositions on my modcan quantizer. A favorite patch is Sequencer to QuantizerA, QuantizerA to VCO. BZ to QuantizerB, QuantizerB to TransposeCV on QuantizerA. Use the longer division outs on the BZ. Great way to spice up a sequence!
SlayerBadger!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1