MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SynthTech WaveEdit - public Alpha release
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author SynthTech WaveEdit - public Alpha release
paults
WaveEdit Home Page

Executables for now. No docs because why waste my time very frustrating

Pc/Mac/Linux distributions.

Any bugs/feature requests/mods, please post here.

The 3D waterfall view will be in the next release (beta).

Have fun!
waveglider
Playing with the MacOS version now.

One issue I see is on Mac all the graphics are 72dpi, looks fuzzy on high DPI displays.
paults
Noted.

Also, a reported bug (on Mac, but may be others) is 'Undo' seems to be buggy.
starthief
OK, I have one bug and a few interface thoughts/suggestions Mr. Green

1. When you apply an effect, it doesn't update the partials. It visually shows dimmed partials as the result of the effect, but if you edit a partial from that point you lose the applied changes. You have to edit the sample to get the partials to update and avoid that.

---

2. Wave file import is awkward.

Let's say I have a WAV file that consists of 14 cycles, 2048 samples per cycle. I'd like to be able to import that into slots 20-33 in WaveEdit. I have to set zoom, offset, trim, etc. to some specific floating-point value. Assuming I can figure out the right numeric values, the sliders don't allow precise settings anyway (e.g. they will flip from -3.99 to -4.02 and never hit -4.00).

Even when I don't need to be that precise (loading a Mellotron sample or something rather than an already formatted wavetable) it can be a bit awkward.

A few things could help:

-- allow the user to specify the number of cycles in a file, and it'll automatically scale to fit that number of cycles in WaveEdit.
-- alternately, allow the user to specify the number of samples per cycle, and it'll scale appropriately.
-- also allow the user to specify the starting slot (0-63) rather than an offset value.
-- let the slider move more slowly/precisely with mouse movement while holding shift, and/or right-click to type a specific value.
-- markings on the UI to show how the imported file corresponds to the 64 cycles.
-- the ultimate "I want a pony" feature would be an option for automatic cycle detection (pitch, zero crossings etc.) This is something Serum does and it works really well on many types of files.

---

3. Single cycle import from the context menu. (Batch single cycle import would be great too.)

---

4. A keyboard shortcut to toggle Play off and on.

---

5. An effect or buttons to transpose all partials up or down could be handy -- either one step at a time (which changes harmonic relationships) or by octaves (which can lose partials). I keep finding myself with cool sounds that I want to shift downward.

---

6. Remembering the last open dialog location separately for import vs. save would be nice.

Undo is working fine for me in Win7 for what it's worth. smile
paults
Quote:
Undo is working fine for me in Win7 for what it's worth.

It fixed for the next release, but the issue with V0.6 it you have to wait more than ~1.5sec per Undo command.
thelizard
This is excellent. I can see this being used a lot even outside of the modules that it was designed for. I'm going to try it for generating Digitakt waveforms later today.

Also, I dig the Mortlet presets thumbs up
brandonlogic
Will there be some kind of archive on the synthtech site where you will be able to share/download user created wave tables?
Vortico
brandonlogic wrote:
Will there be some kind of archive on the synthtech site where you will be able to share/download user created wave tables?

It's built into the application, under the WaveEdit Online tab.
paults
Quote:

It's built into the app Rockin' Banana!
uebl
we're not worthy
ipassenger
Sickness!
starthief
After messing with it for hours last night, I've been playing with this at work while stuff recompiles and slow tests run... spinning
Ras Thavas
Wonderful tool, fills a sorely needed space.

Questions: Will there be a way to copy and paste individual waves into the slots? Also; will we be able to select two slots (with numerous slots in-between them, i.e. not adjacent slots) and make them "morph" or "tween" between each other?

I ask as I can see where I might want a longer and slower morph between a noisy wave and a more pure one, and the space available thru Z morphing between adjacent slots in the editor at least doesn't seem as long as I'd like...
ugokcen
I didn't realize I needed a wavetable oscillator until I watched those Waveedit previews!

Honestly this could be commercial software and I would buy it in a heartbeat. In fact, it makes me want to have SynthTech plugins hyper
ipassenger
ugokcen wrote:

Honestly this could be commercial software and I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Shhh!!

I like awesome free stuff.
uebl
Doesn't run on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS for me, but I guess that's because 14.04 LTS doesn't fall under "anything last 3 years is OK". I get the following error:

./WaveEdit: error while loading shared libraries: libmvec.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I guess that's because of some mismatch between the glibc version on my and "your" system (I'm running glibc/libc6 v2.19).
jsheaucsb
Outstanding! Working well on Mac 10.9.5
dooj88
applause we're not worthy
mdoudoroff
Accidental wavetable art.

Baddcr
Also just to say this is absolutely brilliant - thank you!

we're not worthy
starthief
After some flailing around, I've figured out how to get much cleaner imports from samples:

Set your sample length and fundamental frequency carefully so the phase lines up with 64 divisions, and skip the trim/zoom/offset stuff. E.g. sample length 1 second, fundamental frequency 64Hz.

If you don't, you're going to introduce extra junk into each of the 64 frames in the wavetable. For instance, if you import an 80Hz sine, you get this for the first frame:

64 different glitchy sines that sound bad when you sweep through them. Extra buzz and a sort of phase wobble. If you enable Cycle it fixes the discontinuity but then also clips the waveform, so you also have to enable Normalize (which may introduce new problems if you're using a plucked string sample or something), and it's still not going to sound the way you want it.

If you use something like Audacity to set the length via trimming/stretching, and then set the pitch, you'll wind up with a consistent, integer number of cycles per frame and this problem goes away. You may still have to enable Cycle to clean up a few places, but the result is going to blend in smoothly with your sample.

Of course if the import feature could detect pitch that'd save a couple of steps Mr. Green
kreiff
Not able to open at all on a Mac OS 10.11.6 (El Capitan)

Here is the error message I get:

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help troubleshoot.
Vortico
^ Click Report, paste the message in an email to Paul, and click Don't Send to Apple on the report.
kreiff
Vortico wrote:
^ Click Report, paste the message in an email to Paul, and click Don't Send to Apple on the report.

Will do! Thanks, Vortico!
starthief
Couple of other ideas:

-- a filter that reduces/removes only even harmonics, or maybe a checkbox to leave odd harmonics untouched while other filters operate

-- a "window" filter (sort of a more extreme version of "cycle" mode where you can adjust the window size)

-- a "PWM" filter -- I don't know if that's really the right term. But one which time-compresses the samples in the frame toward the center, which would produce PWM if you started with a square.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4