MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How deep is your Frac(love)?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author How deep is your Frac(love)?
BugBrand
Hi - a question or two..

Are many/most Frac modules quite deep?

Having only ever had one commercial frac-module (MIDItoCV from Paia) I wondered whether many Frac modules have such big PCBs that they really need the depth (7" or so) of the Paia and Blacet frames. Checking the Blacet site there seem to be some that'd be shallow, but maybe quite a few of the double-width ones have large PCBs?

What do you people know?!

& would having a shallow frame/case really limit your module choices?
- I remember trying to fit Frac-frames into one of those pop-up SKB rack cases and finding out they were just too deep to fit.

Thanks for any insights!
Cat-A-Tonic
Blacet:
VCO - 6"
Binary Zone - 6"
Improbability Drive - 6"
I/O - 5.5"
EG1 - 6"
VCA Quad Mix - 5"
Window Comparator - 3.5"
Mini-Wave - 6"
Klangwerk - 6.75"
Mixer Processor - 4"
Dual Lin VCA - 3.5"
Hex Zone - 2.25"
Micro LFO - 3.75"

STG:
Wave Folder - 4.75"
Yves Usson Gate Delay - 4.5"

Metal Box:
Divider & Logic - 6.75"

CGS DIY:
Digital Noise - 3"
Dual Drum - 4.5"

3.75" is the maximum module depth for placement in front of an interior rack mounted PSU.
Roycie Roller
Well, i don't know about most module depths, but to give you an idea of the differences, i have a Blacet EG1 whose pcb goes to within 1cm of the inside of the back of the frame, and a Wiard Noise Ring which is about 1 inch deep!
J.w.M.
Does Wiard mount his PCB's parallel with the panels?
Kwote
J.w.M. wrote:
Does Wiard mount his PCB's parallel with the panels?

yes. it's pretty sleek. great move by grant but you can't stand em up on their own when outside the rack which i find useful for various reasons. so for most of my DIY stuff i'll probably stick with the Blacet standard.
Roycie Roller
I think the 300 series are about 9 inches deep, if i remember correctly.
If everything was like the Noise Ring, one could make a really shallow case & have it lying flat, then build a MFOS touch keyboard into the front...Like a Wasp or something like that.
Kwote
Roycie Roller wrote:
I think the 300 series are about 9 inches deep, if i remember correctly.
If everything was like the Noise Ring, one could make a really shallow case & have it lying flat, then build a MFOS touch keyboard into the front...Like a Wasp or something like that.

yeah yeah. i was just talking about the 1200 series and 311 controller.
BugBrand
Thanks guys.
Especially Cat-a-tonic -- great info -- cheers!

That pretty much figures for me - so my thought that Fracs tend to be deep does seem to hold up..
Interesting to hear also that Wiard fracs are very shallow.
flight
My Plague Bearer modules are 1.6" deep.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1