MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Super noob questions about making eurorack etc!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Super noob questions about making eurorack etc!
Keram
Hi friends,i am very noob on the modular thing but since i got my 1st synth (MS20) i am having ultra fun so i want to keep getting few things.As i said on another post i am gonna get Vermona drm1 drum machine and Perfourmer,i ve checked many machines over the internet and i really liked these 2 to expand my sound library.Anyways the thing is that i've seen in this site that eurorack thing and it looks interesting because as i can understand you can create your own super fun bundle right?Anyways i need to know where i have to start off to make one of these.For example i really want to have voices especialy Sine,also i need to sequence that voice so a sequencer,maybe fx's?My point is how do you organise what items you want how do you search for them,whats best..

Thanks friends for you help!
sduck
Welcome!

First thing - it's modular synthesizers you're interested in. Eurorack is just one of the many formats available of modulars. Despite what some people seem to think, it's not all eurorack - you might be happier with some other format - 5U, Buchla, Serge, Fracrack, etc.

There are subforums (listed below this one) where you can ask in more detail about what you're looking for. Or find out more about the different formats.
Keram
sduck wrote:
Welcome!

First thing - it's modular synthesizers you're interested in. Eurorack is just one of the many formats available of modulars. Despite what some people seem to think, it's not all eurorack - you might be happier with some other format - 5U, Buchla, Serge, Fracrack, etc.

There are subforums (listed below this one) where you can ask in more detail about what you're looking for. Or find out more about the different formats.

thanks bro,thats a good start..
Drakhe
Keram wrote:
sduck wrote:
Welcome!

thanks bro,thats a good start..

The good start would be to learn what a modular synth is.
For instance a sine is not a voice, but a wave form. Different modules can make a sine (for starters oscillators and resonant filters can make sine waves). To make a voice you'll need more modules (filter, envelope, (voltage controlled) amplifier or attenuator, etc etc) You'll need these additional modules to make a voice, but they are also necesary if you want to sequence that voice.

All this and lots more is very clearly explained in the playlist linked below. Felix explains everything from sound basics, signals, basic modules to an example how to create and use a voice.

Another excelent source of beginners information is Learning Modular Synthesis (Chris Meyer), check out his sit at http://http://learningmodular.com/

Both of these sources use Eurorack to demonstrate, but all this info is applicable to the majority of modular synthesis formats.

Drakhe
Also important info re: your MS20 in case you didn't know

Great little synth, but you should know that if you want to control your MS20 with a (future) modular (e.g. by using a sequencer to control the MS20) you need to take care of converting a "Volt per octave" signal that is used to control pitch in a modular to a signal that is understood by the MS20, namely "Hertz per Volt" There's modules that do that (English Tear, Disting are some that do this)
Keram
thank you all for your input i will take everyones post into consideration,i am still learning or better i am starting to learn all this stuff,anyone else might have any thought ,please elaborate!

edit : i got allan strange's book to learn more about the subject i hope it helps.
createsounds
I'm new to the forum but been at it since 2000. when less info was available,
and i really didn't interact with the internet.

my main advice (that i wish i could have had) is
SHIT AINT CHEAP!!! SO research what your looking at..

INFORMED PURCHASING.
Shledge
Get a small case and a couple of modules to start off. Most likely a disting and perhaps an extra oscillator, so you can expand your MS20. The MS20 already has a separate VCA and a few other things built in.
Keram
Shledge wrote:
Get a small case and a couple of modules to start off. Most likely a disting and perhaps an extra oscillator, so you can expand your MS20. The MS20 already has a separate VCA and a few other things built in.

I was thinking of making a simple one,4 osc's / mixer / envelope / filter / and a sequencer,my concern is that i want each osc to have an individual sequence,i am not sure how this is possible,do i need 4 different sequencers for each osc?or there is a way to sequence them individually?
placebo92
I'm in a similar boat to you and just starting out razz It's all pretty confusing right?? Good luck on your journey
Claude
Get a Korg SQ-1 sequencer in a hurry, it will work with your ms20 and anything else you get. This is your assignment, at least to research it.
BillLynes
I'm also new to modular synths, although I am an accomplished builder of electronics. I started by buying a Moog 104HP Eurorack case. I then just started building modules. First up was a power module, then a VCO, and a VCA. I did a couple of Synthrotek kits then just bought the PCB/FP combos and sourced the parts myself for half the price of a kit.

Here is what I have so far. I have a bunch more modules in various stages of production.

ersatzplanet
Keram wrote:
Shledge wrote:

I was thinking of making a simple one,4 osc's / mixer / envelope / filter / and a sequencer,my concern is that i want each osc to have an individual sequence,i am not sure how this is possible,do i need 4 different sequencers for each osc?or there is a way to sequence them individually?

You will either need a sequencer that outputs more than one CV per step, usually on analog sequencers this means it has more than one row of knobs. To make different voices play different parts of the song and not just chords in a single phrase, you will need multiple voices too. A VCO, VCF, VCA, and Envelope generators to control them. Polyphony is NOT cheap in modular.
wackelpeter
For the start i would stick to an external sequencer. The SQ1 and Arturia Keystep are solid choices and for the little money you spend you could get 2 nice sequencers.
The Keystep can be played by keys, as the name suggests too. That's the keyboard i'm currently noodling on my modular.
BillLynes
I'm a newbie and bought an Arturia Keystep. I think it cost about $100 new from Guitar Center.

Has a built in sequencer with MIDI, CV, and gate outputs. Runs off USB power so any old USB 5v power supply will do.

Simple, cheap and easy to use.
Just another rookie
Hi,
Can’t really help you with much except to say in my early research for things to buy, modular grid was my bible! (Still is, but I’m still buying and learning)

Bill, what was that sequencer like to build?
I’m so close to getting the kit......
Fairly new to soldering but hmm, yeah, I can a bit.
BillLynes
Just another rookie wrote:
Hi,
Can’t really help you with much except to say in my early research for things to buy, modular grid was my bible! (Still is, but I’m still buying and learning)

Bill, what was that sequencer like to build?
I’m so close to getting the kit......
Fairly new to soldering but hmm, yeah, I can a bit.

No problems really. Just be careful with the LED height. Do not solder any of the panel components without the panel in place at the correct distance from the PCB. Use painters tape to help set the height of the LED's.
Just another rookie
Cool!
Cheers.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1