Boss fs-5/6 foot pedal output voltage

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

leterell
Common Wiggler

Boss fs-5/6 foot pedal output voltage

Post by leterell » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:55 am

Hello,

I'd be interested in using foot pedals with the modular, especially a momentary type (but also latching at times) pedal that just puts out a voltage when pressed, in other words, a usable gate for clocking, resetting things, into the play input of a morphagene etc.

the thing I am not able to find out about the Boss pedals, strangely, is the voltage they put out. Not in the manual, not on any forum. Yes googled, yes searched :sadbanana:

Is it too low to make any module think it's an actual gate?

thx

nigel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nigel » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:58 am

I think guitar foot pedals (the Boss FS-6 for example) are just switches to ground, they don't actually output any voltage. You'll need something like an "S-trigger to Gate" circuit.

Reckless_Experimenter
Common Wiggler

Post by Reckless_Experimenter » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:53 pm

Coincidentally I made something similar over the weekend. A dual foot peddle input module. Provides an analog switch, and gate output for each peddle. The analog switch outputs zero volts when off, tracks the input when on.
Schematic:
nigel is right most foot pedals are just a switch, the gate voltage has to be generated within the module.

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:01 pm

That's not to say though that you couldn't pass a gate (or set positive) signal through a foot switch, you'd just have to take it from the synth and pass it through the pedal. Yeah, you'd have to make a jack or two, but it might get you to where you wanna be.

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:43 pm

yeah there are a few modules by Synthrotek, Addac and others that will get your guitar/keyboard footswitch or volume pedal to work with modular.
I've built the Synthrotek expression pedal (like aa wah or volume) interface.
It works okay, but honestly I don't think the taper of my pedal is very good.

tito_tunes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tito_tunes » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:23 pm

Parnelli wrote:That's not to say though that you couldn't pass a gate (or set positive) signal through a foot switch, you'd just have to take it from the synth and pass it through the pedal. Yeah, you'd have to make a jack or two, but it might get you to where you wanna be.
I do this all the time.
Offset voltage from the modular > footswitch (or volume pedal) > destination in the modular.

I use 1/4" to 1/8" adapter cables for this
danielriera.bandcamp.com

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”