MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Your funniest error this month!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Your funniest error this month!
sixbyseven
So, I am building a large modular that has several Envelope generators. One, is an ADSR design by Ray Wilson, I have finished but it is not working. For the life of me I could not figure it out. I checked the wiring, power, solder joints, misplaced components, nothing, no noise, no signal, nothing. I put it down, grab a beer and stare at the schematic. It calls for CD4066, CD4001, CD40106, TL074 and a TL072.

I Stare at the board, then the schematic, take another sip of beer... Boom! I check the CD4001.... it is a CD4081. I look at my IC storage tray and notice I have Quad AND, NAND, OR and NOR all stored in the same drawer... all individually marked, except my stupid eyes did not catch the difference between an 8 and a 0. The CD4081 is a Quad AND, the schematic required a Quad NOR (CD4001)

Lucky this could have been worse, but once the proper chip was installed everything worked as expected.

Note to self...... Use bigger letters and brighter lights in the IC storage area...
and Beer Solves problems...

Anyone else got a funnier one..... let's hear it.
funky catsmell
plugged a pair of freshly complete barton dual logic modules in... backwards. at the same time. ho ho ho Drunken Homer Simpson
GrantB
funky catsmell wrote:
plugged a pair of freshly complete barton dual logic modules in... backwards. at the same time. ho ho ho Drunken Homer Simpson

so, do two negatives make a positive?
khakifridge
sixbyseven wrote:

and Beer Solves problems...

Please tell me you're a doctor and this is bona fide medical advice! Guinness ftw! hihi
Sideshow
I was making a test powercord so it would be easier to connect things right without having the possibility to get the wrong polarity.

Soldered it wrong so it was the wrong polarity anyway. d'oh!
Luckily the module I was testing survived cool
Eric the Red
Removed a few components from a board because I thought I put in the wrong resistors. In the end, I had the correct ones in... very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating
LektroiD
I mistakenly ordered giant switch caps... My eyes nearly popped out of my head when I opened the package.

I'm still stumped as to where I can order standard sized ones. I'm looking for interesting colours too

My original the left, the ones I ordered on the right...
thispoison
If those fit on top of the old ones, that's some pretty tactile toggle action!!
folpon
Quickly wiring an effects loop into an old Wurlitzer 140b with alligator clips but got the tip and ring of the jacks confused. Plugged it in -- shocking. eek!
pre55ure
There have been multiple times that I have finished a build, plugged it in and discovered that it didn't work, only to realize later that I never inserted the IC's.
Dead Banana
Apfelmann
pre55ure wrote:
There have been multiple times that I have finished a build, plugged it in and discovered that it didn't work, only to realize later that I never inserted the IC's.
Dead Banana

happened more than once
khakifridge
pre55ure wrote:
Dead Banana

I think this is a mandatory rite of initiation. meh
Paradigm X
+1 (prob +2 or +3 tbh hihi )

i dropped a rack panel onto my dominion1 cry by forgetting that when you unscrew the last screw it will fall off. man. d'oh!

took it apart and replugged the ribbon cable in offset, so it wouldnt then even switch on. minor heart attack and depression until i checked it next day. was pretty lucky tbh.
dot matrix madness
khakifridge wrote:
pre55ure wrote:
Dead Banana

I think this is a mandatory rite of initiation. meh

...which is still better than inserting them the wrong way. Dead Banana
khakifridge
dot matrix madness wrote:

...which is still better than inserting them the wrong way. Dead Banana

That's the second mandatory lesson. wink
trip
Ordered a prototype board with ebc pinout on a bunch of sot-23 transistors instead of bec d'oh!
Paradigm X
oh yeah ordered these caps from tayda

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/capacitors/axial-polypropylene-film-ca pacitor/10uf-100v-105c-axial-polyester-capacitor.htm

theyre fecking huge! it does clearly say that but i didnt really think to look.
Paul Perry
Not exactly my fault, but I got a run of metal cases made for a sequencer, and the company folded them inside out... so the assembled PCB with sliders only fitted from the OUTSIDE of the box.

What was my fault, was ordering 2000 jacks from a Chinese website and not realizing they were 2.5mm not 6.35. Like those switch caps, but in reverse... great price though!
dhaillant
trip wrote:
Ordered a prototype board with ebc pinout on a bunch of sot-23 transistors instead of bec d'oh!

Same error on my SMT SoundLab. I put a SOT-23 BC547 footprint on the PCB design d'oh! . Had to solder a TH BC547 on SMD pads (the BC847, SOT-23 equivalent has its pins numbered in a different way).
Works pretty well actually.

My classic error is to reverse Pin #1 and #3 on potentiometers (Clock-wise/Anti clock-wise positions). Have to cut the PCB track, and wire things correctly. evil
nickster
I managed to solder a rotary switch in the the wrong position. So dutifully I de-soldered it which was a right royal pain in the posterior, pulling a pad on the pcb in the process. The next day I took a look at my half arsed solder surgery only to discover I had in fact originally soldered in the switch correctly.
Moral of the story : I'm a muppet sad banana
555x555
Built this recently:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y1T6WZ9

First try "worked," but you had to push the switch to decrease the value (wrong), turn left to enter the menu (very wrong), and other button presses would randomly fire (unusably wrong). After worrying about maybe having fried an IC, maybe having defective firmware, etc., turns out: There's a separate board for the little rotary switch that's on the front. You solder the switch to the board, then the switch board to the main board. The board has the same hole pattern on both sides and I'd simply soldered the switch on the reverse side. d'oh! PITA to desolder those big tabs from the ground plane.
xythyl
I just finished up my first synth build, the mfos soundlab. I plugged it into a guitar amp and turned the amp on. After around 10 minutes of fiddling around, I wasn't getting any sounds so I left to take a shower. Finally in the shower it it hit me. I forgot to turn it on. d'oh! I was so worried about it not working that I didn't even check to make sure it was on. When I got back I turned it on and it was working perfectly other than my ramp/tri/saw wave switch being backwards.
KemoKlen
eek! eek! eek!
Bodo1967
xythyl wrote:
Finally in the shower it it hit me. I forgot to turn it on. d'oh!

"Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it."

- ARP 2600 Manual, 1971 nanners hihi
dot matrix madness
Build a MM phono preamp and wondered why the sound was so distorted.
Found out that I connected its output to the input of the phono preamp of
the amplifier. d'oh! Connected to a line input it worked perfectly.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2