MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Teenage Engineering PO
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Teenage Engineering PO
kay_k
I've made this mod to my PO12 a while ago so it is bus powered and is able to receive a 1 pulse per step clock.

I was asked about this so often that I decided to make a PCB for it. It is not 100% done but looks something like this:

It will be super glued to the back of the module after you remove the battery holder and the audio jacks. then about 4-6 wires need to be soldered to connect the adapter to the PO.
I'm still thinking about what to do with the Display pins.

What do you think? Good, bad, useless?
L.C.O.
I am definitely interested in some sort of robust integration of the PO series into eurorack.
Southfork
L.C.O. wrote:
I am definitely interested in some sort of robust integration of the PO series into eurorack.

Me three! What are your plans? Are you going to sell some pcb's yourself? If so I'm deffo in It's peanut butter jelly time!
kay_k
cool!

I'm still thinking about the display pins problem.
If you just ignore them the adapter wouldn't sit flush on the PO. I might make this a 2 PCB thing with a lower part with all the electronics and an upper part just for mounting and jacks. Obviously this will be a bit more tricky to align.
The other solution would be a cut out but that is in the neck part of my adapter so actually not possible.
The last would be to exactly match the holes of the pins onto the adapter.
I really do think that this is quite tough to make it exactly fitting, but would bring some kind of perfect alignment for the adapter (when done right).

In the moment I lean towards the 2 PCB solution, because it's easier and cheaper.
kay_k
btw. I just thought of a solution to another difficulty.
You do not actually have to desolder the 3.5mm jacks from the PO. You just hav to stick something in there to break the normaling contacts.

the inputs are normaled to GND, hence the PO wouldn't get clock from my adapter. the outputs are normaled to the speaker.

Who would want a gain stage in the output? I have none in my mod in the moment, which makes the PO a bit quiter than the rest of the system.
Arrrgghh I just throw the footprint in there, it will be up to you to use it or not wink
Southfork
kay_k wrote:
btw. I just thought of a solution to another difficulty.
You do not actually have to desolder the 3.5mm jacks from the PO. You just hav to stick something in there to break the normaling contacts.

the inputs are normaled to GND, hence the PO wouldn't get clock from my adapter. the outputs are normaled to the speaker.

Who would want a gain stage in the output? I have none in my mod in the moment, which makes the PO a bit quiter than the rest of the system.
Arrrgghh I just throw the footprint in there, it will be up to you to use it or not wink

Gain stage would be useful l. It's hard to think of other upgrades. If you remove the batteries doesn't it forget all the patterns you saved. Can't remember!
kay_k
No, those are saved in non-volatile memory. The alarm clock doesn't work tho hihi
kay_k
ok, I changed it to a 2 pcb setup.
this is the schematic. whoever knows how to read them better than me, please help me out to avoid mistakes.

[edit] found the first myself .. new sch:
kay_k
bump ..

I'd also like to hear input on the price side.

I plan to do a very small run first, 10 pcbs. So obviously I can't give them away for 9.99
I say the PCB should be below 25€ and the parts on it are worth ~5.43€ (provided mouser BOM) IF you use everything (out buffer & clock div) and IF you do not have material around already (caps/resistors).
I think I'd ask 35€ for the assembled pcb .. fair? Maybe the PCB will be cheaper and I could go lower. Will see when I'm 100% done.
FraMauro
I'll definitely take one!
kay_k
the line between the neck and the active side markes the breaking notch

I will order them some time soon, not sure about the coloring. Might probably be white silk print on green.
Black/Yellow looks hot tho.
Southfork
kay_k wrote:
the line between the neck and the active side markes the breaking notch

I will order them some time soon, not sure about the coloring. Might probably be white silk print on green.
Black/Yellow looks hot tho.

Looks hot! Excited to get this in My rack Rockin' Banana!
1n
I really like this. The battery by-pass gives it a sustainability factor - in so far as burning resource of all kinds can ever be considered sustainable! I only use my PO12 with eurorack, so it's a positive move in all ways that I can see.

I'm in for an assembled PCB.
Chickonies
I am also very interested.
what gives?
Looks really cool! I might have to get a new PO-12 then.
exper
Very interested. The po-32 is so powerful that I constantly use it with my modular system. Would be great to have it fully integrated.
Anechoic
Seems like a fun conversion, interested.
steveoath
This looks amazing! Will it be compatible with all pocket operators?
mcpepe
Interesting project!
kay_k
steveoath wrote:
This looks amazing! Will it be compatible with all pocket operators?

I have only converted a PO-12 so far. I guess they work all the same on the electrical basis. I have yet to try a PO-32 with its sound import feature. I think this happens via an additional mic so I see no reason why bypassing the input jack would change something.

To be very clear: when you use my clock divider for clocking the PO, the audio feed thru is inoperable forever (at least on one channel)
exper
Ah, that is an important distinction then. The po-32 uses the input as a better way to transfer the sounds. The mic is pretty unreliable in practice. So if the input is disabled, the that could be a problem.
bmoren
This looks great – I'd love to get a PO12 into my setup in a formal way! Keep up the good work!
kay_k
exper wrote:
Ah, that is an important distinction then. The po-32 uses the input as a better way to transfer the sounds. The mic is pretty unreliable in practice. So if the input is disabled, the that could be a problem.

you could use a stereo jack to the front and route one side directly into the PO-32 while the other goes to the clock divider and back to the PO.
You just need to find out which channel the PO-32 uses for sound download.
Might be a good excuse for me to buy one. lol
kay_k
The thing is done. I just waited for the last to days to let it sink in and find mistakes before ordering the PCBs. I always try to be "first time right" but rarely am.
I will order tomorrow and if everything runs smooth have them on the 22nd.
Corbeau
Awesome work, definitely interested in this!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3