MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Oakley SRE330 News
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Oakley SRE330 News
Firechild
I would like to Emulate the ELKA SYNTHEX Chorus 3 setting which mode should I use?
Synthbuilder
Firechild wrote:
I would like to Emulate the ELKA SYNTHEX Chorus 3 setting which mode should I use?

Sadly I haven't played with a Synthex for many years so I'm unsure now of the details. However, from the schematic each voice channel has two separate delay lines with the delay time of each controlled by its own low frequency modulation oscillator, one running faster than the other. There are two identical channels, one for the upper voice and one for the lower voice. The differences between the various chorus modes are changes in the wet/dry mix, the relative mixes between the two delay lines and the modulation frequency for one of the delays.

The SRE330, and the SE330, cannot replicate the Synthex as the second delay line in each of its channels in QUAD mode is controlled by both the triangle wave and sine wave LFOs. You can't just control that second delay line with its own distinct LFO. In the Synthex you have a separate LFO per delay line. The Synthex is a much simpler system but one that cannot be replicated by the more complex SRE330.

This also means that the SRE330 is not able to replicate the ARP Omni as that has three separate delay lines each modulated by its own LFO.

That said, it may be possible to get close to the topology of the Synthex by using the stereo mode of the SE330 (or dual mode of the SRE330). Sum the L & R outputs of the ensemble into mono in your mixing desk and the resulting sound will give you two delay lines controlled by two separate LFOs. You can't change the relative frequency difference between the LFOs - it's fixed at 1.2:1 - but they are free running and different enough to give you a reasonable amount of movement.

Tony
Rex Coil 7
Synthbuilder wrote:
... This also means that the SRE330 is not able to replicate the ARP Omni as that has three separate delay lines each modulated by its own LFO.

Tony
Ho--kay. That bit of news is something I was not aware of. Thanks for the information, Tony. Straight shooter, you.

cool
Synthbuilder
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Ho--kay. That bit of news is something I was not aware of. Thanks for the information, Tony. Straight shooter, you.

The Omni is pretty unique in many respects. It's not as rich as the other string ensembles although it does sound nice enough. It's actually probably one of the simplest ensemble units - basically its simply three BBD delay lines each modulated by their own free phase LFO with no dry signal added.

It is interesting that ARP decided to use this topology rather than the one used on the Solina (ie. the 3-phase mode on the SRE330).

Tony
Dr Gris
I've contacted LED-man about building one for me. I'm excited w00t

//Magnus
Dr Gris
And it's finally here!!!
Crazy many variants of chorus in this box, love it!!

Thanks Tony!
//Magnus
tioJim
Hello Tony

Think I'm about to embark upon an SRE330 build but I do like a pro solution for an enclosure so ...

Synthbuilder wrote:
I'm looking to get rack cases for this project. These would be pre-drilled and labelled. Might be a bit expensive to ship outside the UK though.

... any developments on this?

Thanks
Jim
Synthbuilder
tioJim wrote:

Sadly not. Paul at Krisp1 looked into doing this for me some while ago and couldn't find enough people interested to make it economically viable. I think the SRE330 is perhaps too big and expensive a project for many people.

Tony
tioJim
Synthbuilder wrote:
tioJim wrote:

Sadly not. Paul at Krisp1 looked into doing this for me some while ago and couldn't find enough people interested to make it economically viable. I think the SRE330 is perhaps too big and expensive a project for many people.

Tony

No worries, thanks Tony. It is a bit of behemoth! I'll probably need to set aside a few afternoons for this one wink
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2