MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Oakley SRE330 News
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Oakley SRE330 News
Synthbuilder

This is a picture of the first prototype which has been sold already. Basically, it is an SE330 but with several key differences:

1. Stereo in and stereo out
2. Full 19" rack width
3. Triple 'Solina' style ensemble mode as well as the SE330's quad and dual ensemble/chorus modes.
4. LED metering.
5. Classic NE570 companding noise reduction.

This first prototype uses an issue 1 board which I thought could be improved a little - wrong sized component legends and some of the trimmers were a little too sensitive - so I've made an issue 2. They arrived last week and testing was completed yesterday.

Now I need to order some new power supply boards for it - although it could work with any decent +/-15V supply capable of supplying 250mA.

I am planning to make these available as ready made units although I will look into selling PCBs too. Price is yet to be confirmed. It would be nice to have them ready before the end of the year.

This is what the prototype sounds like.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/takla-makan/sre330-noodling[/s]

The above is my playing around with the controls. In this sound sample set you hear the raw sawtooth first from a Roland Alpha Juno 2, and then the rest of the set I'm processing the Juno's mono output with the SRE330 to produce a rich string synth sound. At extreme modulation depths the induced vibrato effect can be very pronounced.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/takla-makan/lowrey-vs-sre330[/s]

This above sample set uses a Roland Alpha Juno to create a raw sawtooth pad which is then sent to both an Oakley Sound SRE330 and a Lowrey Symphonic Ensemble unit from 1975. The Lowrey ensemble is basically their version of the triple ensemble circuitry from the Solina string machine complete with TCA350Y BBDs.

In this set you hear the same sound firstly played through the Lowrey and then the SRE330 in Triple Ensemble Mode. I crossfade between the two effects after each sound to show how similar they sound. However, they are not identical. The Lowrey is noisier with considerable modulation oscillator breakthrough and there is some of sort of peak in the frequency response which isn't there in the more mellow SRE330. The latter could be added with EQ should one wish to replicate that part of the sound.

It should be noted that the SRE330's and Lowrey's outputs have been put into mono for this sample set to recreate the sound of most analogue string machines.

Tony
Paradigm X
wow looks great! applause
terjewinther
This is really cool. I don´t need one, but I want one and will buy one and build it, just because I like building, and and love chorus sounds on strings and noise and those things.

I do hope you will provide files for the front panel, and hints about where one can get an empty rack that fits, othervise this will be a challenge to build.

I notice that you need el.caps on the power needs to be low enough to go into a single space 19" rack cabinet. Could you please provide info in the builders manual regarding the maximum hight of these for the builders?
Synthbuilder
terjewinther wrote:
I do hope you will provide files for the front panel, and hints about where one can get an empty rack that fits, othervise this will be a challenge to build.

I'm looking to get rack cases for this project. These would be pre-drilled and labelled. Might be a bit expensive to ship outside the UK though.

The Scheaffer file for just the front panel would also be available as normal.

Quote:
I notice that you need el.caps on the power needs to be low enough to go into a single space 19" rack cabinet. Could you please provide info in the builders manual regarding the maximum hight of these for the builders?

That's a RPSU in the SRE330 prototype so the ones I have used there are the ones given in the Oakley Parts Guide. They're 1000uF 50V electrolytics, Rapid part: 11-3938.

Once I'm happy with the SRE330 build I'll write a Builder's Guide for it and update the generic Parts Guide to include any manufacturers part numbers. I don't think you'll find any problems getting 1000uF caps to fit though.

Tony
Leverkusen
Wow - the examples sound gorgeous! applause

Since I already have an ensemble effect in the rack I'll wait for the 5U delay though, hoping it will go down to chorus speed too, and put it besides the flanger module for some occasional extra strings...
Eric the Red
Hey Tony - is this the "secret synth project" you have been dropping hints at in the 5U forum a few weeks/months ago?
Synthbuilder
Eric the Red wrote:
is this the "secret synth project" you have been dropping hints at in the 5U forum a few weeks/months ago?

No, that's the Mysterious Audio Plaything. Work is ongoing. The prototype has been built and the first set of boards designed. This is a standalone multivoice synth with some unusual features as well as being able to interface with any modular. Again the plan is to make it ready made but there is potential for PCBs and cases to be made available too.

Tony
Blake Smith
Those samples sound lovely. Still working on a se330 though.

That pcb is going to be huge.
Synthbuilder
Blake Smith wrote:
That pcb is going to be huge.

It's a lot less deep compared to the SE330 but it is about 75% wider. It also has four layers of copper - the usual two outer layers plus two sandwiched inside. The four layers mean I can make the component density higher without impacting on performance. Indeed having one mostly solid plane of copper solely for 0V improves performance. Those extra layers do mean it is a more expensive board to make though.

The additional length of the board will make it more problematic sending it through the post. The thinner Filtrex boards can be sent in tubes but for these I will have to find some sort of box.

Tony
Eric the Red
Thanks Tony
Dr Gris
I really want this!
Any idea of how deep this will be?
I'm thinking of mounting it in a flightcase (30cm deep) with modular (5U) stuff.
And route the ins & outs to a front panel somehow.

I guess ins & outs in the front isn't an option because of panelspace...??

Cheers
//Magnus
Synthbuilder
Dr Gris wrote:
Any idea of how deep this will be?

The prototype case is 250mm deep but that has to include space for the +'/-15V power supply and I/O board. I think I can make any bespoke casing I have made a bit smaller - perhaps 220mm.

Quote:
I guess ins & outs in the front isn't an option because of panelspace...??

It won't fit on the standard panel - although you may be able to get four 3.5mm TRS sockets on there.

Tony
Dr Gris
Thanks Tony for your reply.
250mm is cool.
Trying to stay away from 3.5mm as much as I can.. hihi
I'll find a solution.

Looking forward to when it's available.

//M
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1