MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Where to buy building tools (not parts)?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Where to buy building tools (not parts)?
poorness
I searched but couldn't find anything. Sorry if this has been asked.

I'm just getting into DIY. I did a workshop at Knobcon. I've done minor electronics in the past so I have solving iron, wick, flux, screwdrivers, multimeter, etc, but I realized I need some things like small diameter deep well sockets and spanner wrenches.

Anybody have a good resource for these kinds of tools?

BTW, I checked SynthCube and StewMac... couldn't seem to find the right stuff.
keninverse
You won't need a spanner. I use them I'm on my car though. You also don't really need deep sockets. I use plain sockets without a ratchet or handle and 99% of the time the pot shafts will stick out the 3/8" coupling. Torquing things down with a wrench is unnecessary so just use your fingers with just the socket.
poorness
That's what I ended up doing for the most part cuz they're wasn't enough tools to go around. I wasn't specifically inquiring about those two tools. There were others (clamp pcb holder thingy, magnifier glasses, tiny wire strippers, etc). I'm just looking for a place that sells all this stuff. It's too specialized for hardware stores. Part of the problem is I don't know what these things are called so I don't know how to search for them... but there has to be a few shops like this right?
StudentsOfTheFuture
I did Amazon for basics like a pcb holder, silicone mat, etc. If it would work for Arduino stuff, they've got plenty of options.

I've been looking for some kind of socket tool and it never occurred to me to grab something non-specialized... but DUH!

What diameter do you need for jacks and pots? I don't actually have a socket set yet.
Altitude909
Try Techni-tool
PrimateSynthesis
You can buy common tools such as deep sockets and open-end wrenches (both ends open is called a dogbone wrench, one end open is called a combination wrench, the latter is much more common) at hardware stores, auto parts stores, home centers, Amazon, etc.

For specialized electronic tools try:

http://www.techni-tool.com/

Also, unless you moved to Dallas from England, you don't need anything called a "spanner" to build electronics. (In America, a spanner is a pin-wrench.)
tojpeters
Try Jameco
Eric the Red
You can get most of these on Amazon.
keninverse
poorness wrote:
but there has to be a few shops like this right?

As others suggested Techni-tool, Jameco, Amazon, ebay and some surplus houses will have some of that stuff.
When you're first starting out it's hard to gauge your specific needs so I'd ask before you buy something. For example, I'm not a fan of board holders but they may work for you.

You're in Dallas so try Altex and Fry's. Altex has decently priced tools and it helps to see these tools in person.
poorness
keninverse wrote:
You're in Dallas so try Altex and Fry's. Altex has decently priced tools and it helps to see these tools in person.

Thanks. thumbs up
Eric the Red
I have been buying tools as I go. When I get about 1/2 way done with a build, I start planning out the next one to see what I need - additional parts that I need to order and any new tools to get.

Edit: I'm holding off on a few projects because of that damn Wire Insertion Tool. I find it really difficult to justify $20 for a fancy flathead screwdriver type thing. Once I'm ready to wire up the Klee, I know that thing is going to be a lifesaver and the $20 for this thing is going to be very well worth it.
abelovesfun
Here is a guide I made for DIY Tools - split into nice to have vs Must haves:
https://aisynthesis.com/diy-electronics-tools-you-need/
poorness
applause
Oblivion
keninverse wrote:
You also don't really need deep sockets. I use plain sockets without a ratchet or handle and 99% of the time the pot shafts will stick out the 3/8" coupling. Torquing things down with a wrench is unnecessary so just use your fingers with just the socket.

This, all day long. Don't crank those suckers down.

What kind of iron do you have? The difference between crap and good is not too expensive, but makes a world of difference.

As for holders and such, I recently got one of these (link) and love it. It weighs a half, ton, too, so doesn't slide around.

You'll probably also want a tiny screwdriver set. Seems everyone and his sister has this one (link).
GuitarBuilder
Another vote for Amazon!
poorness
Oblivion wrote:
This, all day long. Don't crank those suckers down.

Yeah. Got that. I was never suggesting using them with a socket or torquing anything. I've been doing exactly what you guys are doing, cuz I can't use my nut driver (it hits the pot shaft). I never really thought much about it but they had some of the deep wells at Knobcon and I thought they were great.

Keep in mind I used to customize guitars so I'm not new to DIY, I'm just new to building modules.
wink

Oblivion wrote:
What kind of iron do you have? The difference between crap and good is not too expensive, but makes a world of difference.

I don't know the brand name right off but it's one of the ones that has a separate power supply and wand. I think I paid around $90 for it about 5 years ago. It's pretty decent. I got tired of using to $15 irons when I was doing a lot of guitar modding... so I bought a decent one.
Oblivion
SlayerBadger!

Wasn't an insult on your intelligence or over-tightening tendencies. Was more just to say a simple socket set should set you up - no fancy suppliers needed. thumbs up

Iron sounds good. Sounds like your'e set. And hooked. wink
poorness
Oblivion wrote:
Wasn't an insult on your intelligence or over-tightening tendencies.

Wait... I wasn't thinking you were thinking that... uhh... I think. Wait... what? hihi
Ha ha. So great to meet you at Knobcon man. Keep bringing the girls with you. They're future synth nerds. Mr. Green
Oblivion
Right?

(I've tried 3 times to rotate that. Oh well.)

Thanks, man. Also, never enough inflection in text . . . I knew we were all good. smile
poorness
So flippin' adorable. Love it! love
SmokyClap
Check out Sparkfun
Oblivion
Thanks, man. The older one is pretty cute, too, but she's getting to that age where she'd rather be a pain in my ass. wink
sduck
I don't know if there's any one walk-in type place anymore - radio shack used to sometimes be that kind of place way back in the day, but no longer. Amazon, yes.

As far as nut drivers - Klein tools makes the best ones, and they can sometimes be found in the electronic tools section at home depot. Most of these are crap, but Klein's expensive chrome tipped ones won't mess up your panels.
PrimateSynthesis
For 5U the nuts are 1/2" so I used a plastic tool that is designed to slip over miniature nut drivers with hex handles. As mentioned above, you don't need the torque of a ratchet. And it's plastic, so it can't scratch the panels.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1