MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Easy DIY euro module for total noob?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Easy DIY euro module for total noob?
uniquepersonno2
Hi there!
I apologize if there's a bunch of these topics already. I'm completely new to DIY. I (mostly) know how to solder, know a little bit about components, and I'd like to start the process of learning to assemble Euro modules. I learn best by doing, and I'm okay with wasting some money and making some mistakes at first.
Are there any modules that are fun once assembled but still good for a complete beginner to start out with? Any recommendations are welcome!
keyofsalvador
If you plan to use a Mac with your modular, then a CVpal is a great beginner module. It's available on Thonk for cheap. Also check out Ai Synthesis, both for beginner builds and general info and tutorials.
GilgaFrank
+1 for CVPal, would also recommend the Frequency Central System X VCF if you're in the market for a filter. The System X VCO is a more difficult build as it has a temperature compensation daughterboard.
mskala
keyofsalvador wrote:
If you plan to use a Mac with your modular, then a CVpal is a great beginner module.

They work well with Linux, too. The issue is that people have had problems using them with Windows in particular.
uniquepersonno2
GilgaFrank wrote:
+1 for CVPal, would also recommend the Frequency Central System X VCF if you're in the market for a filter. The System X VCO is a more difficult build as it has a temperature compensation daughterboard.

Thanks for the suggestion! That filter looks great! I realized though that their Raging Bull module had been on my wanted list for a while, do you know about the difficulty of that module?
uniquepersonno2
keyofsalvador wrote:
If you plan to use a Mac with your modular, then a CVpal is a great beginner module. It's available on Thonk for cheap.

Just my luck, I'm windows only atm...

keyofsalvador wrote:
Also check out Ai Synthesis, both for beginner builds and general info and tutorials.

I'll check them out, thanks!
GilgaFrank
CVPal works fine under Windoows. It's class compliant so you don't have to worry about hunting for a driver, the generic Windows driver works just fine.
pricklyrobot
Synthrotek http://www.synthrotek.com/products/ have a lot of good kits, with excellent build docs. And if you look at the top of the Assembly Instructions for each, they give them a difficulty rating (i.e. Beginner, Moderate, Advanced). They're also good with tech support, and reply to questions quickly.
abelovesfun
Our modules are aimed at teaching DIY. All modules have free schematics, some theory in the build guides, and step by step instructions. If you already know how to solder, you can skip the AI001 Multiple, and maybe move on to the mixer or the AI003.

There's no wiring to throw you off and they have a very high success rate.
Welcome to this wonderful hobby!
Ms304671
+1 CVPal also consider thonk at-at-at
windspirit
Once you have some modules actually in the case the 0HP line of modules from my company Mystic Circuits is intended to be an easy place to jump into synth DIY. Our kits all have a video tutorial on how to build, this is for our easiest kit and the video is just under 30 minlong with me taking time to explain each step.

uniquepersonno2
windspirit wrote:
Once you have some modules actually in the case the 0HP line of modules from my company Mystic Circuits is intended to be an easy place to jump into synth DIY. Our kits all have a video tutorial on how to build, this is for our easiest kit and the video is just under 30 minlong with me taking time to explain each step.

I've been interested in your products! Thanks for the reminder, this would be an awesome place to start.
uniquepersonno2
abelovesfun wrote:
Our modules are aimed at teaching DIY. All modules have free schematics, some theory in the build guides, and step by step instructions. If you already know how to solder, you can skip the AI001 Multiple, and maybe move on to the mixer or the AI003.

There's no wiring to throw you off and they have a very high success rate.
Welcome to this wonderful hobby!

Ooh, these look great! Thanks!
uniquepersonno2
pricklyrobot wrote:
Synthrotek http://www.synthrotek.com/products/ have a lot of good kits, with excellent build docs. And if you look at the top of the Assembly Instructions for each, they give them a difficulty rating (i.e. Beginner, Moderate, Advanced). They're also good with tech support, and reply to questions quickly.

Ah, good to know. Synthrotek is actually the company that got me into modular, I'd be going full circle applause
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1