MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Oberheim Xpander Overlay/Front Panel
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Oberheim Xpander Overlay/Front Panel
Sunshine Jones
I've got two Oberheim Xpanders which work beautifully, but have really terrible condition front panel/ overlays.
I managed to remove them, they are an amazing feat of double stick tape, and reverse silk screen (sub surface printing) on matte poly plastic overlay...



I've measured, and re drawn the panel and am now looking in to getting them printed. It's just stunning what it costs ($325 each.) Which, in my opinion is a small price to pay for a perfect condition Xpander front panel or two, but the price break around 10 starts looking a lot more possible for me ($200 each)

Questions
1. I don't see anything, anywhere about people making or wanting Oberheim Xpander front panels. Is there any interest in this?

Like if I made 10, kept 2, are there 8 others out there who might want one at this price?

2. I've tried to source locally, so this pricing comes straight out of Hayward, California from a company who specialize in membrane printing for machines. I like the sound of working with them, driving over there and presenting the old panels to be sure that size, color, and everything is done well so much more than sending it off to somewhere, and not really knowing until it arrives (probably wrong) etc.
Is there a better (or less expensive) way?

I'm keen to do this. I'd love to see my Xpanders looking as good as they sound.

NOTES
The green windows:
I am not going to investigate the cost or price of having the separate green windows adhered to the panels. I have decided to inlay plastic jewel lenses into mine. I think it will improve it, and look better in the long run.
So this price, and these overlays would not include coverage for the three displays (shown in green in my illustration.)
Everything else would be as original.
Psychlist1972
Have you tried here?
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/privmsg.php?folder=inbox

I priced out a 30" by 8" high 10 mill matte panel with 150 cutouts and it came to $193.11 for qty 1, single color, $257.57 for four color qty 1. Qty 10 for the four color came to $1085.60, so $109 each.

They are the ones who did the Meeblip overlay. I don't yet have any experience with them other than pricing things out for a potential project.

Pete
Sunshine Jones
Psychlist1972 wrote:
Have you tried here?
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/privmsg.php?folder=inbox

I priced out a 30" by 8" high 10 mill matte panel with 150 cutouts and it came to $193.11 for qty 1, single color, $257.57 for four color qty 1. Qty 10 for the four color came to $1085.60, so $109 each.

They are the ones who did the Meeblip overlay. I don't yet have any experience with them other than pricing things out for a potential project.

Pete


Wow! That's a nice improvement on price.
The Xpander is 4 spot colors, it wouldn't look the same if it were done as a CMYK separation. But I appreciate the tip and will totally check into it.

[edit]
The link goes to the PM inbox. Any chance you've got a link to your source?
[/edit]
Psychlist1972
Sorry. Incorrect link above.

Here's the correct link:

https://www.mavericklabel.com/products/graphic-overlay.html
Sunshine Jones
Psychlist1972 wrote:
Sorry. Incorrect link above.

Here's the correct link:

https://www.mavericklabel.com/products/graphic-overlay.html


Wow! Thank you!!!
tIB
I'll keep an eye on this and see how it develops - I don't want to/can't commit but _might_ go for something if the price was right.

On a slightly different note did you see the pics of the person who polished off their Xpander overlay to leave a rather lovely shiney surface - might be an option for you?
tIB
See here: http://www.matrixsynth.com/2012/05/refinished-oberheim-matrix-12-with. html

There's a link to a Morley video in that post too - he's a member here so might be able to add how he got his Xpander looking as it does in that vid.
dubnspace
tIB wrote:
I'll keep an eye on this and see how it develops - I don't want to/can't commit but _might_ go for something if the price was right.

On a slightly different note did you see the pics of the person who polished off their Xpander overlay to leave a rather lovely shiney surface - might be an option for you?


wow, that looks awesome. I would like to do this to my xpander.
tIB
It seems a better option than a new panel if it's just surface damage/peeling. Mine is actually in really good condition, just looks a little faded/dull so doubt I'll be doing anything in the near future.

Also worth pointing out that benden sound tech do replacement screens now: http://www.lenham.clara.net/sound/obvfd.html
NewEnglandAnalog
Another place to get graphic overlays printed is Cubbison. They tend to be slightly less expensive than Maverick. I have had great experiences with both companies though.
Both companies have a minimum order amount. I think it's $200 or $250. There's also a setup fee of $75 for each new overlay design, plus a fee for each color that your design uses.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group