MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Don Buchla - commemorations
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Don Buchla - commemorations
JamieDrouin
I was surprised not to see any Muff discussions about Don Buchla pop up last Thursday, as it was one year since his passing. Fylkingen in Stockholm held what looks to have been a wonderful event commemorating Don (photo below by Andreas Tilliander showing the patch of Jonas Broberg). I'm curious if there were any other celebrations worldwide last Thursday remembering Don? For my own small part, I released an ep of new Easel compositions: https://liquidtransmitter.bandcamp.com/album/cartography

kbrush
I agree.

my personal commemoration is just making music with his gear but yes we should definitely take a moment to reflect on his legacy. how to do that on a forum i'm not sure. maybe post some fun stuff we've made with his creations?
kbrush
i'll start: when i was building my first Buchla modular years ago i got so worked up about the texture that was possible with his system i tried to capture it by making a track with just a single note as input.

didn't really succeed, but this clip still reminds me of experiencing Buchla for the first time and being bowled over by the possibilities
kbrush
really dig your Easel work btw. cheers
kbrush
and btw, you gotta tell us something about that system in your photo
sempervirent
kbrush wrote:
and btw, you gotta tell us something about that system in your photo

That's the "little system" from EMS Stockholm:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSW1TWZh0O4/

Not sure of its history. They have a much larger system too:

kbrush
such a gnarly piece. this gets my Buchla antennae all hot and bothered
kbrush
errr, the rest of my reply put that in less creepy context but got clipped somehow. anyway, great stuff, let's bring some Buchla love
Fuzz
I loved the EP! What are you using to record your easel sounds?

JamieDrouin wrote:
I was surprised not to see any Muff discussions about Don Buchla pop up last Thursday, as it was one year since his passing. Fylkingen in Stockholm held what looks to have been a wonderful event commemorating Don (photo below by Andreas Tilliander showing the patch of Jonas Broberg). I'm curious if there were any other celebrations worldwide last Thursday remembering Don? For my own small part, I released an ep of new Easel compositions: https://liquidtransmitter.bandcamp.com/album/cartography

johnchantler
I had a lovely time playing at the fylkingen event. going back there soon to attempt to make a recording of my piece in the room. will share it here if that works out.
JamieDrouin
Perhaps @johnchantler can add some more details on the Buchla seen in Andreas' photo? I was the guest composer at EMS in mid-2015, and had a chance to work with that large Buchla system seen in the video, but not the one seen on stage at the memorial concert.

@Fuzz - Thank you! Glad you enjoyed my Cartography EP. I recorded directly into Ableton in long continuous passes, and used a minimum of post effects on those works (delay and reverb on top of the 208 spring reverb). I had received my LEM-208 approximately 1 week earlier, and was obviously very productive in the subsequent days getting to know the instrument, and a nice way to remember Don.
johnchantler
that 'little' buchla belongs to Fylkingen and is on long term loan to EMS and was put back in service last August. It lives in Studio 3 but we took it back up to Fylkingen for the night. It gets a lot of love at EMS and was just serviced again by Daniel Araya before the show.

There are 2 x 258, 265 source of uncertainty, the envelope follower, 291 bandpass, 284 quad envelope generator and a 292 quad low pass gate.

I *think* that the blank panel is there in place of a frequency shifter/ring mod that still needs fixing.

It sounds amazing (especially through the ridiculous monitoring in studio 3) and it's nice to work with such a tight configuration of the 'essentials' as much fun as the sprawling 'big' system is in EMS Studio 4.

I don't know the full history of when/how Fylkingen acquired it. there is a December 1975 article in Svenska Dagbladet reproduced in the fylkingen 60 year anniversary book that shows a fylkingen studio with the buchla in shot:

johnchantler
stereo mix of the piece i played that night now up on bandcamp:

https://johnchantler.bandcamp.com/album/counting-to-five
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1