MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Live Performance Rack - whats your opinion?!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Author Live Performance Rack - whats your opinion?!
bang
I would like to build a modular setup for performing live. It should sound technoish with focus on rhithm and percussion combined with deep bass and a bit of melody. I want also be able to improvise a session almost from scratch. So i put together some modules and this is what i came up with:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/515614

I would like to know if i missed something important. Are there enough possibilities for variation so it doesnt get too uninflected (1-2 hours)?

Triggers

Effects
Navs
I'm may be the wrong person to comment, but I would look at getting a nice hardware sequencer and drum machine first - something hands-on but with pattern memory - and then finding some modular voices.
bang
Currently for basic step sequencing i want to use the Euclidean Circles (as an alternative im considering the Trigger Man). This will be paired with random steps from permutation and both mixed by the Confundo Funkitus as seen in the Triggers-Patch.
And for cvs there is the Voltage Block Sequencer as well as the Permutation.

What do you have in mind?
Navs
A Sequentix P3 and Electribe ES-1 is the kit I have for this sort of thing.

Mark Verbos played a blinder at Noodlefest with his system and a TR-909.

Just something very simple and hands on.
calaveras
The first time I played out with a modular it was kind of a disaster. What was easy to pull off on my modular at home was very hard to do in a poorly lit stage environment where I couldn't hear shit.

One of the things I did to make things easier was to get a couple Soundmachines LS1 modules. They are simple things that output a cv in response to touch gestures on the capacitive surface. You can also record and loop gestures. Or have them serve as a variable voltage source that stays fixed where you left it.

I also built a little 2 gang electrical box with 4 simple attenuators in it.

With these attenuators and the touch strips I can control my modulations without having to dig for knobs, which more often than not are obscured by cables.
So my recent, second show with a modular I totally forgot to bring a light source. But it wasn't a disaster!
pitri
in your case i would suggest a Circadian Rythm + outboard mixer.
for me personally its too little sound sources and proper VCA + Envelopes, and too many combiner, and modules that are hard to control live.
but ymmv...
kwaidan
At home, I found Pamela's Workout to be very fiddly to setup, and I couldn't imagine using it in a live setting. I use a Robokop and Beatstep Pro because they are big and have memory.
calaveras
kwaidan wrote:
At home, I found Pamela's Workout to be very fiddly to setup, and I couldn't imagine using it in a live setting. I use a Robokop and Beatstep Pro because they are big and have memory.

That is why I recidivised to using a drum machine. With non editable sounds even!
I can stop and start the drum machine by footswitch or contact closure. It has two different clock outs (toms actually). And it's not eating up a ton of modules to make relatively few sounds.
I'd rather save the fiddly tweaky stuff for the modular that benefits from such attention. FM and wavetable things for instance.
bang
First of all thanks for your posts, I realy appreciate them SlayerBadger!
If I got it right the overall opinion seems to be that the current setup has insufficient interaction possibilities and should more focus on overall control in a live situation.

calaveras wrote:
With these attenuators and the touch strips I can control my modulations without having to dig for knobs.

Yeah I already considerd the Soundmachines LS1/LP1 modules but for some reason (presumably saving HP) they slipped my mind. But of course in a live situation they seem realy practical. More attenuators, thought someone suggest this in the first place Mr. Green

pitri wrote:
in your case i would suggest a Circadian Rythm + outboard mixer.

The Circadian Rhythm seems interesting but i like the thought of mostly generating rhythms instead of programming them (thats what I always did with my daw and im kind of bored with). Hence I considered modules with stuff like euclidean algorithm and looping random sequences. But I also like the shuffle feature of the Circadian Rhythm hmmm.....
I try to avoid using an outboard mixer beacause I want to have my focus mostly in one place - my case - and not scattered. Does this make sense?

pitri wrote:
for me personally its too little sound sources and proper VCA + Envelopes, and too many combiner, and modules that are hard to control live.

Recently I got very interested in Mannequins Just Friends and want it in the case too but there isnt enough HP waah Nevertheless I already have 6 voices (Basimilus, Dinkys, Drums, Loquelic, Radio Music and 0-Coast) isn't this enough? how meny voices do you use?
Proper VCA is a point. maybe Intellijels ╬╝VCA II?
Since im quite new to modular and I dont realy have experience with performing them live, which modules aren't that much suited therfore?

kwaidan wrote:
I found Pamela's Workout to be very fiddly to setup, and I couldn't imagine using it in a live setting.

I feared this already. As alternative batumi came to my mind. Do you have any suggestions as a replacement for multiple synced lfo's?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Page 1 of 1