MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Did anyone take the Deadmau5 Masterclass?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Did anyone take the Deadmau5 Masterclass?
nklif
Wondering if it helped anyone's production.
PhineasFreak
i know someone who did - now all his music sounds like deadmau5 without the originality.

[and no, i'm not joking...]
kiddcabbage
I have. I don't think it's worth it. He's got good intuition and taste but little know-how, so when he talks about his processes, it comes out as babble without much being conveyed.
submute
kiddcabbage wrote:
I have. I don't think it's worth it. He's got good intuition and taste but little know-how, so when he talks about his processes, it comes out as babble without much being conveyed.

That's funny, I think I'd pretty much describe my own process as babble. Wonderful, random babble.
placidhouse
Was it at least funny? The preview played to his acerbic wit. If anything, I just wanted to see Joel being Joel in his studio. I like seeing process and I actually like his personality...from a distance. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
grillo
He’s very candid about the process, not much in the way of very technical or incredibly original tips, but basically zero platitudes and actually a fair bit of mythbusting.
He comes across as quite humble, and I gained a lot of respect for him from the videos.
But to be fair the main focus of the course is more about having a sustainable career in Edm rather than making exceptional art.
baxoutthebox
steve duda is the brains behind xfer (deadmau5 company) and his words carry more weight than the mau5

find some of his vids on youtube i know there are some recorded lectures

agree that joel tends to babble about the processes. it amazes me that he cannot articulate production and engineering while still making such meticulously engineered music. idk, guess speaking is not his strong-suit.

for real tho steve duda, smart guy. also watch pensado's place particularly all epsiodes with jaycen joshua
x2mirko
grillo wrote:
But to be fair the main focus of the course is more about having a sustainable career in Edm rather than making exceptional art.

Spot on. That's the impression I got from the videos as well. I bought it mainly to see what it was about and because I think he's pretty entertaining. I wouldn't recommend it for someone advanced who wants to learn "deeper secrets" of music production. Won't find them there. I'd imagine that it's nice to get his perspective on things in case you're actually interested in pursuing a career in edm production, though.

What I found most impressive is about the video series that you can really see the amount of work and practice that he put in. Because when you listen to him talk, it's very easy to notice that he didn't have a formal education in music and music tech - he has some knowledge, no question, but it's definitely rough around the edges. And yet, he can sit down with nothing but a laptop and ableton and build songs at a pretty ridiculous pace. That's the type of thing that comes from a lot of hard work.
umma gumma
interesting thread/comments

I knew absolutely nothing about the guy, until I was following his car on the QEW in TO and saw the license plate

figured he was just another DJ, or rich high school kid grin

but after watching some of his stuff, I am really impressed! not only with his music, but his candour, and all the interesting content he puts out on the 'net

I might check this out, regardless
BeatAboutTheHead
Its ok. Obvious stuff mostly. Didnt help me, but interesting
grillo
Actually, he streams himself working in the studio pretty regularly, and it’s a very high quality stream and sometimes he even captures his screen so he can pretty much see anything he does, and you can ask him questions via the chat.
It’s basically the same thing, only it’s totally unedited and you’ll have to dig deep in between hours of working on the same drumloop or things like that, but hey, it’s free.
mcgold
grillo wrote:
He’s very candid about the process, not much in the way of very technical or incredibly original tips, but basically zero platitudes and actually a fair bit of mythbusting.
He comes across as quite humble, and I gained a lot of respect for him from the videos.

totally agree with this. I already knew most of the stuff he was teaching but it was nice to see him point out things he looks for when signing an act + other business aspects of it. The technical/production stuff is pretty basic and isn't super useful if you're already somewhat advanced in production. It is nice to see him be somewhat transparent and show that some of his music was not very hard to make. If you're just starting out it could probably be worth it for some of the more basic/conceptual stuff. Also a big draw at the time it was released was access to the forums and potentially getting feedback from him when the class was "live" if you will. Now if I had to guess I'd say its not as active and he's not on it at all. So a good chunk of the value is gone
WiffSnuggler
Deadmau5 is a shill. What an ass hat, used to have respect for the guy. Until I saw him at red rocks. His stupid fucking visual cube had an animated middle finger flipping the entire crowd off most of the time. , then like halfway through his set he started playing rocket league on his stupid fucking visual cube, also just a fucking add, don't want to see an add for rocket league when I go to a concert, let alone the guy fucking PLAYING THE GAME when he should be putting on a good show. Come to find out he threw the exact same set the night after. What a tasteless, disrespectful clown. I will never see him again. He is literally fucking garbage. So I didn't take his masterclass and I won't.
clapclap
Here are the main takeaways from the masterclass:

1) Using an ssl g series compressor makes no bleep sense whatsoever.

2) I want my first chord to go there. See that's my life right now. If I could just play it I'd play it.

3) If you can impact one person with your music then it's pretty much worth it.
phantomfreq
I can't say I learned anything that I couldn't have picked up elsewhere but I agree with past posts that he's pretty candid and kind of entertaining. It's definitely aimed towards people with no prior experience in production (honestly from what I've heard, this is true of all of MasterClass).

I just saw Armin Van Buuren has one too...
cyclopeatron
In the Masterclass does Deadmau5 talk about recording and mixing from hardware sources, or is it all ITB Ableton?
Koekepan
cyclopeatron wrote:
In the Masterclass does Deadmau5 talk about recording and mixing from hardware sources, or is it all ITB Ableton?

He makes reference to hardware sources and getting them into your DAW, or even using external effects in an effects loop from your computer. However, he does not go into depth on how to do it, so much as why to do it. Which is actually good; if you want Ableton tutorials, youtube is lousy with the things.
Emrox
I watched it for entertainment purposes and that worked out well.

As a beginner this would have been a great start for me as there are many aspects covered that can be hard to get into all by yourself.

As an advanced there are some minor takeaways, you might have not thought about yourself - even if you know your way around.

I hoped for more material in the course as a whole - more in depth chapters on actual production techniques. But I would have been surprised to get it for that kind of money.

I watch his stuff for several years now and he definitely has more knowledge and is more articulate about what he does than the videos show. Guess he tried to keep it at a moderate level because his target audience was more beginner level-ish.

baxoutthebox wrote:
steve duda is the brains behind xfer (deadmau5 company) and his words carry more weight than the mau5

find some of his vids on youtube i know there are some recorded lectures

agree that joel tends to babble about the processes. it amazes me that he cannot articulate production and engineering while still making such meticulously engineered music. idk, guess speaking is not his strong-suit.

for real tho steve duda, smart guy. also watch pensado's place particularly all epsiodes with jaycen joshua

Couldn't agree more. Steve Duda is an absolute beast and Pensado's Place really goes as deep as it gets (at least I have not found anything more professional and in-depth)
Faru
I might have a different understanding of what Masterclass means, but I found it pretty boring in terms of what I have learned, but yet interesting to some degree when it comes to his business experience. I watched it a friends place, if I would have paid 100 euro for it I would have been disappointed. I don't find him very likable as well.

thanks for hinting at Pensado's Plac, will check that out!
imcmahon
yeah I bought it and skimmed it a bit, but found it very light on technical info. His production style is along the lines of "I just use the mouse to draw in random notes and move the ones that sound bad"
imcmahon
I will say, however, that I sorta got my money's worth, because buying the class also entitled me to a good price on ableton suite, which I'd been needing to buy anyway
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1