MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Deckards Dream General Build Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next [all]
Author Deckards Dream General Build Thread
needspeed
This community has helped me so much, so I will do my best to give back, but in the end we are all in this together. I have not done this before, so please bare with me and any help is always appreciated as I know I will make mistakes ......Steve

Firmware has been released as well as the beginnings of a build guide - see link below
Per Roman: Firmware is online. Some of prebuilt units had a power sequencing problem (10bit DACs did not initiate sometimes), I'll update the BOM with 2 capacitor changes on the PSU board. BOM not officially updated but changes are noted below in the Minor changes/bugfixes/improvements section

10/19/2017 - BOM updated to REV1.0.7 - Critical Change

See here for header polarizing key to prevent incorrect PSU and Voice card insertion. - very critical

Per Roman you can bridge them as follows:

News on Panels and case from Andrew on 11/4/2017
So I got the prototype in going over it I should be putting the order in this next week.
So they should be coming in in December and shipping then.

-Andrew

Update Log:
Created 10/4/2017
Updated 10/5/2017 - Shopping Cart Section
Updated 10/8/2017 - Added link to DDRM Wiki provided by ledman(Thank You)
Updated 10/11/2017 - BOM updated to REV1.0.6
Updated 10/12/2017 - REV1.0.6 CHANGED 1N5817 TO BAT85S - See below
Updated 10/19/2017 - BOM updated to REV1.0.7 - See below
Updated 10/20/2017 - Voice Card - R40, R45, R151 and R146 not on BOM
Updated 10/29/2017 - Roman has published the DDRM bootloader. Firmware to follow which is scheduled for Tuesday 10/31/2017 - Date missed waiting on new date
11/2/2017 - SynthCube has slider caps for sale - see below
11/5/2017 - Reggie Barns posted an updated Mouser cart - see below
11/6/2017 - Headers must be keyed with polarizing key to prevent incorrect PSU and voice card insertion
11/10/2017 - Firmware is available - see link below
11/11/2017 - BOM Update - see below as Official BOM has not been published yet

This BUILD thread is only for the Deckards Dream V1. PCB Board details to follow once received.

General DDRM discussion thread:
Initial Build Discussion - https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2656598#2656598

Major changes:

Minor changes/bugfixes/improvements:
CRITICAL BOM UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!
BOM update in the works, Roman has provided the following changes for those already in the build process.
PSU Board Changes per Roman:
C12 should be 1uf, c13 - 330uf 6.3V or higher 8MM DIA /3.5 LS
C13 increased delays the boot of +3.3v digital rail, c12 reduced makes 5v analog rail boot faster, so, DACs start with no problem
Without change sometimes they don’t start, since digital 3.3v comes to sac before 5v. It happened on 1/5 of built units
These should be OK - double check my work though:
330uF
1uF

Per ultravox - REV1.0.6 CHANGED 1N5817 TO BAT85S ON THE MOTHERBOARD
Per Roman: Pcb footprint too small, I forgot to change, new part easier to install. They work same

Voice Card - R40, R45, R151 and R146 are not represented on Roman's BOM
All is fine per Roman as follows: these are not installed, i left them for possibility of a filter adjustment. which won't be required after the final EG tweak i made couple weeks ago. Me: So leave empty no jumper. Roman: yes, we have decided to keep them on a pcb just in case, but they dont need to be populated

Known bugs/issues: (This is also a backup to this Muffs site for all documentation)
DDRM Wiki

Knownissues:
Reported by jimfowler: Rev. 1.0 Motherboard - Looks like C188 shows up twice and C186 is omitted. They are both 4.7uF Roman posted clear image below to clarify

Schematics:
From Roman Filippov - Steve Sommers I’ll rearrange the schematics and post by the end of month (October?), I will not share the source code.
Early November at this point

BOM
REV1.0.7 CHANGED R2 ON THE OUTPUT BOARD TO 22R, CHANGED C6 ON THE MOTHERBOARD TO 10uF - CRITICAL CHANGE
REV1.0.6 CHANGED 1N5817 TO BAT85S ON THE MOTHERBOARD
REV1.0.5 ADDED USB A TO USB B ADAPTER
REV1.0.4 CORRECTED 30K MOUSER PART # IN A VOICE CARD
REV1.0.3 CHANGED HEAT SINK QUANTITY, C2 ON OUTPUT BOARD IS 100uF NOW
REV1.0.2: ADDED ST LINK PROGRAMMER

PCBs
http://www.deckardsdream.com/shop

Firmware
You will need to purchase/borrow a programmer as follows: ST-LINK

Build Info and Firmware

DD-BOOTLOADER-REV1.0.hex.zip
Description: DECKARD'S DREAM BOOTLOADER REV1.0
Download DDRM Bootloader
Filename: DD-BOOTLOADER-REV1.0.hex.zip
Filesize: 47.33 KB
Downloaded: 8 Time(s)

Shopping Cart Links - Contributed by the community

Posted by Reggie Barns: Here's the Mouser cart for BOM 1.0.7 that I've been updating since 1.0.2. It only contains Mouser parts per the latest BOM and not the parts from eBay, Synthcube, Thonk, etc. https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=9ba2 7b85b3

Posted by ultravox - not official or complete: https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=9ba2 7b85b3

SynthCube has full and partial parts kits - http://synthcube.com/cart/ddrm-deckard-s-dream-kit?search=ddrm&descrip tion=true

Thonk has carried some of the rare chips
Some folks have been working on a Mouser Cart, so look forward to further contribution from this group
Farnel I do not know of

Synthcube added slider caps for those that need them http://synthcube.com/cart/ddrm-slider-pot-caps-set

Case and Panel
Case and Panel Shipping is now projected for December

Wooden Case: Ross Lammond (UK) http://www.lamonddesign.co.uk/index/
Ross Lammond is building the cases for Roman for all the pre-built units

Official Build Guide
Build Guide

issues/frequently/ questions/answers:

As we learn more about the upcoming expander I will update here:

DDRM Onlineshop:
Deckard Dream

Words of Wisdom:
From oldcrow
I have of course built the one I used to test and adjust filter behavior. There is nothing particularly hard to do in a production DIY DD build since the fine-pitch SMT parts are already installed, it is just a lot of parts overall and will take a while. I did have to solder all of the DACs and STM32 CPU but even then it was not terribly difficult--one just needs a 0.5mm tip soldering iron and a flux pen.

Building the panel/slider board can get a little greasy as the slider lubricant seems to easily transfer to the board during handling, but q-tips and 90% IPA keep that under control.

One thing to pay careful attention to is chip orientation as a number of parts install in various directions. Use sockets for V2164s and CEM3340s.

More later,
Crow
/**/
synthcube
excellent, thank you for organizing this!
Jruss993
This is awesome Steve. Thanks for taking this on. I am so excited for this project!
oldcrow
I have of course built the one I used to test and adjust filter behavior. There is nothing particularly hard to do in a production DIY DD build since the fine-pitch SMT parts are already installed, it is just a lot of parts overall and will take a while. I did have to solder all of the DACs and STM32 CPU but even then it was not terribly difficult--one just needs a 0.5mm tip soldering iron and a flux pen.

Building the panel/slider board can get a little greasy as the slider lubricant seems to easily transfer to the board during handling, but q-tips and 90% IPA keep that under control.

One thing to pay careful attention to is chip orientation as a number of parts install in various directions. Use sockets for V2164s and CEM3340s.

More later,
Crow
/**/
livewire
Thanks for taking this on!
Nice to see that there will be a first post with all the major links right there.
Another great idea is the alternative documentation repository site.
Will there be a mirrored site for DD in case Muffs goes down?
I would hate to not be able to get my DD build thread fix.....daily! cry
needspeed
livewire wrote:
Thanks for taking this on!
Nice to see that there will be a first post with all the major links right there.
Another great idea is the alternative documentation repository site.
Will there be a mirrored site for DD in case Muffs goes down?
I would hate to not be able to get my DD build thread fix.....daily! cry

You bring up a great point on mirroring, let me think on it as I agree it is important. Agree that life without Muffs seems empty....Steve
ultravox
Hi needspeed, nice work getting the build thread started. thumbs up
secrethero303
Thank you for setting this up, Steve. Looking forward to this build. Mr. Green
needspeed
I am getting the remaining parts from SynthCube tomorrow and will post pics. I also will cross reference to Romans latest BOM. For those sourcing you own it will be interesting to know what substitutions you may find for out of stock items......Steve
sixbyseven
Hi All, in an effort to keep a central repository of all the documents, FAQs and build information, there is a wiki started at https://www.dsl-man.de/display/DDRM/DDRM+1.0+Build+Doc+Home

That way folks can pose other this here, and if they need the docs, BOM, Schematic etc they can find it in one tidy place.

I will post material from Roman or Black Corp as soon as they send it to me, or if you folks want something important for the build added, it can go there as well.

I also linked some sites like this one.
nanners
ultravox
I made a Mouser cart for BOM Rev1.0.3. I didn't substitute any of the backordered items, I'll just wait for them to arrive. https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=9ba2 7b85b3

The cart doesn't include items that the BOM says are sourced from eBay, Small Bear, synthcube, etc.

There are 668 ceramic SMT caps in the BOM. I'm guessing these are preinstalled but it doesn't say so in the BOM, so I ordered them. If they turn out to be preinstalled then its no big loss due to the low cost.
synthcube
ultravox wrote:

There are 668 ceramic SMT caps in the BOM. I'm guessing these are preinstalled but it doesn't say so in the BOM, so I ordered them. If they turn out to be preinstalled then its no big loss due to the low cost.

we've included those in the kits as well, having assumed they are not installed per the BOM
needspeed
synthcube wrote:
ultravox wrote:

we've included those in the kits as well, having assumed they are not installed per the BOM

Per Roman we get the supreme joy of affixing them as part of the build. So get ready for some SMD soldering....... Steve
needspeed
sixbyseven wrote:
Hi All, in an effort to keep a central repository of all the documents, FAQs and build information, there is a wiki started at https://www.dsl-man.de/display/DDRM/DDRM+1.0+Build+Doc+Home

That way folks can pose other this here, and if they need the docs, BOM, Schematic etc they can find it in one tidy place.

I will post material from Roman or Black Corp as soon as they send it to me, or if you folks want something important for the build added, it can go there as well.

I also linked some sites like this one.
nanners

Awesome and thank you........ Steve
ratsnake
you guys are gonna climb the mountain. o7
cupwise
ultravox wrote:
I made a Mouser cart for BOM Rev1.0.3. I didn't substitute any of the backordered items, I'll just wait for them to arrive. https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=9ba2 7b85b3

The cart doesn't include items that the BOM says are sourced from eBay, Small Bear, synthcube, etc.

AWESOME!
needspeed
cupwise wrote:
ultravox wrote:

AWESOME!

Just check the latest BOM which is 1.0.5 Roman has a change log at the bottom and not much has changed.......Steve
sixbyseven
ultravox wrote:

The cart doesn't include items that the BOM says are sourced from eBay, Small Bear, synthcube, etc......

Do you mind if I link to it on the DDRM wiki?
sixbyseven
[quote=...Words of Wisdom:
From oldcrow

More later,
Crow
/**/[/quote]

Haha, I just did a STM32F407 64 pin... the hardest fricken hand soldering thing I ever did. The secret, lightly pre tin the pads.. and use some sort of magnifier cam thingy. I might invest in a higher end model though.... because I still had a short between a IC pin and the carrier pins... You won't need to do this for the DDRM, but if you ever get a chance, the pins are easily bent. I tried the slide-solder method... disaster and destroyed a processor and a carrier. I lightly tinned the pads, aligned the processor with super thin pins and then touched each pad, one-by-one until it was down. When building the DDRM synth... I would consider protecting all of the fine lead SMT devices with some tape and a thin sheet of foam. Then work carefully around them. You would not want to drop any solder near them.
oldcrow
The essential item for any SMT soldering is a flux pen. It is ten times easier soldering using one vs. without one. I use the water soluable flux pen model, Kester 2331-ZX such as http://www.techni-tool.com/488CH450

Even for the 688 pieces of 0805-size 100nF ceramic bypass capacitor it will help. Be sure to invest in an 0.5~0.7mm soldering iron tip set for your model, though 1mm tips are fine for 0805.

DD builders will not need to worry about soldering the fine-pitch parts, but in situations where I have to do this I always start with the most difficult component as nothing kills your day after spending 7 hours on a board build only to discover the CPU you soldered in last is rotated 90 degrees from the correct position. very frustrating very frustrating Dead Banana I did not do that to the DD, but I have done that elsewhere. This is why I have a hot-air rework station SlayerBadger!

Crow
/**/

sixbyseven wrote:

Haha, I just did a STM32F407 64 pin... the hardest fricken hand soldering thing I ever did. The secret, lightly pre tin the pads.. and use some sort of magnifier cam thingy. I might invest in a higher end model though.... because I still had a short between a IC pin and the carrier pins... You won't need to do this for the DDRM, but if you ever get a chance, the pins are easily bent. I tried the slide-solder method... disaster and destroyed a processor and a carrier. I lightly tinned the pads, aligned the processor with super thin pins and then touched each pad, one-by-one until it was down. When building the DDRM synth... I would consider protecting all of the fine lead SMT devices with some tape and a thin sheet of foam. Then work carefully around them. You would not want to drop any solder near them.
Heavy Metal Kid
Good luck everyone!
ultravox
sixbyseven wrote:
ultravox wrote:

The cart doesn't include items that the BOM says are sourced from eBay, Small Bear, synthcube, etc......

Do you mind if I link to it on the DDRM wiki?

Sure, share the link! I just updated it to Rev1.0.5.

https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=9ba2 7b85b3
fuzzbass
ultravox wrote:

Get ready for some sm soldering, sir. These are not among the "pre-installed" parts on the most recent BOM. I really wish Roman had baked these on - I would have gladly paid for it. But I'm committed now I guess.

If anyone has a reflow oven, I will pay to have the voice cards cooked. I am really not looking forward to 1300+ hot air joints.

edit: He is selling completed synths. Why wouldn't he have these placed during fabrication? I have asked him for clarification on FB.
needspeed
fuzzbass wrote:
ultravox wrote:

Get ready for some sm soldering, sir. These are not among the "pre-installed" parts on the most recent BOM. I really wish Roman had baked these on - I would have gladly paid for it. But I'm committed now I guess.

If anyone has a reflow oven, I will pay to have the voice cards cooked. I am really not looking forward to 1300+ hot air joints.

I understand Tony it will be tedious. I have no experience with reflow but would love to hear from someone who does, as these are double sided boards that already have SMDs affixed, so I wonder how you add components without disturbing the ones already there......Steve
fuzzbass
needspeed wrote:
I understand Tony it will be tedious. I have no experience with reflow but would love to hear from someone who does, as these are double sided boards that already have SMDs affixed, so I wonder how you add components without disturbing the ones already there......Steve

Per BOM, pre-installed parts are on main board along with 102 of these caps. The rest (566) are on boards with no pre-installed parts. If someone has access to a laser cutter to make solder masks, and a reflow oven, that should make quick work of this. (that is assuming they are all on one side of the board - I guess we don't know that yet)

Meanwhile, I asked Roman is this is just a BOM oversight. If all of these need to be manually installed, his production cost for completed units is going to balloon.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next [all]
Page 1 of 19