MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Instruo Sinfonion
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Instruo Sinfonion
mdoudoroff
Good grief!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajr_qAYIuKA
Futuresound
oh

that's...

going to change my system
dooj88
woah.. took me a minute to realize that was a single module, not 3 different ones. that's incredible.
pieter
eek!
steveoath
WOW.

No price though as yet? Guessing it's rivalling the eloquencer, possibly more?

Edit for clarity: meant rivalling in price, not function.
mdoudoroff
I think that the Sinfonion and my forthcoming E370 might have a future together. I’ve been eyeing Instruo’s Harmonaig, but this looks vastly more useful.
pieter
steveoath wrote:

No price though as yet?

In the YouTube comments a ballpark of €800 was quoted.
richc90
I'm not particularly interested in this myself, but Instruo are quickly becoming one of the most forward thinking manufacturers out there: I'll be all over the Aither/Parat module for instance, and the Scion looks great. The collective that Jason is putting together is amazing.
cliffemu
800 is cheap when you think about how else you would do it with individual modules.
How many hp is it? smile
ignatius
who. massive. that looks impressive.
mirth23
mdoudoroff wrote:
I think that the Sinfonion and my forthcoming E370 might have a future together. I’ve been eyeing Instruo’s Harmonaig, but this looks vastly more useful.

I've had a Harmonaig for a couple months and really like it. I got it with my own forthcoming E370 in mind so haven't really had the opportunity to really put it through its paces yet. The Sinfonion looks totally amazing, and much more standalone than the Harmonaig, which really needs some sequencer and other utility buddies to shine.
TheRosskonian
I have Harmonaig on my shortlist, but eager to see more details on this one.

richc90 wrote:
I'm not particularly interested in this myself, but Instruo are quickly becoming one of the most forward thinking manufacturers out there: I'll be all over the Aither/Parat module for instance, and the Scion looks great. The collective that Jason is putting together is amazing.

Edit: Was asking for info on Aither, but found found them immediately after posting: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=188977&sid=67e882c53 930bb2cd9b62465a48f64af
steveoath
cliffemu wrote:
800 is cheap when you think about how else you would do it with individual modules.
How many hp is it? smile

Totally. This with a troika on a bundle deal would be nice *hint hint* thumbs up
MossGarden
Anyone guessing the HP? I've been looking for a euro sequencer for ages, but nothing seems to fit in to what I want, but this working in tandemwith a qubit pulsar may be what I've been thinking about in my head!
richc90
Looks around 36HP to me.
MossGarden
richc90 wrote:
Looks around 36HP to me.

Yeah, I figured it would be around that. Which is great It's peanut butter jelly time!

Feeding it random CV/LFO's with some interesting gate generation is exactly the sort of sequencing setup I've dreamt of. I was even at this Modular Meet and managed to completely miss this. I was drooling over scion though, Jason gave me a demo on it, and its definitely on my list.

Instruo are on the up Guinness ftw!
TemplarK
I was at Leeds and basically they hooked me, and when i say me, i mean actually ME, my living body to that sequencer and their insturo 3 oscillator module, and i was making insanely good music with the sweat of my finger, it was unreal lmao i forget what the other module was called, it had a plant on it and was for getting a voltage from any living organic material.

I have to say that they are doing some really clever stuff that if your into live performance will literally love to use, you could get the audience up moving a plants or something and hook your modular to it and get all this sequencing power playing to what the audience wants, or build some visuals into the set so the audience can see you maniplulaiting things and how that effects the music.

I can think of loads of ideas actually, i dont know whether these guys will be at the synthfest on Saturday but if they are i emplore you to not pass them by and have a look at what they are doing!

edit - also when i asked about cost for the sequencer at Leeds if i remember correctly he said around 750 - 850 but i cant recall euros or pounds. They said it wasn't properly costed as yet.
khiner
Wow. I also got a beautiful black-and-gold Harmonaig from them recently. That one is already the only real chord generation module out there with just the right feature set.

I have it sitting right next to an ADDAC intuitive quantizer and the missing piece now is being able to synchronize melodies coming through my IQ to arbitrarily changing chords on the harmonaig. Basically an impossible task and it's much easier to just have a melody set to a single scale and build the chords around that, which pulls you right back into more samey loop-beat kind of territory. Looks like this is designed exactly to fix that problem. What a beast!

Gotta say I've been really into the way manufacturers and developers in Euro have been unafraid to introduce quite a bit of face-value complexity in exchange for pragmatic music-making power. This, the ER-301, the Eloquencer, Plonk to some extent.
Supermathi
Hi, I‘m Mathias - who invented and designed the sinfonion.

First thanks for your positive posts w00t Motivation is always welcome...

Now some facts:

The sinfonion is 38 HP. It‘s driven by an STM32F466 running at 180MHz. This allows for a quantization latency of roughly 500 us - despite its complex algorithms.

It is a three channel quantizer, a four voiced chord generator and an arpeggiator - making altogether 8 pitch outputs.

There are three major innovations which make this module very unique:

1. Quantizers, chords and arpeggio all are combined in one module and share the same scale / chords.
2. A builtin sequencer for chord progressions (not for melodies)
3. A unique performance interface (lots of buttons!) that allows the selection of logical chord tones individually per channel.

Especially 3. is fun. You can e.g. set channel 1 to just play root and fifth while the chord section outputs 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th of the current chord and the arpeggio plays root, 7th and 9th.

Adding and removing notes is just one fingertip and you will never be out of scale - regardless how simple or complex your chord progressions are. This allows for quick live changes - especially if you didn‘t study jazz piano at Berkeley ;-)

The scale selection is based on choosing a root note and a chord/scale. Since there are so many supported scales they are grouped into „modes“ and are ordered from simple to bizzare. Simply turn the knobs, listen to the sound and select what you like.

Custom „scales“ cannot be programmed, but can be simulated by choosing one of the builtin scales and using the buttons to further adapt it. The user interface is so different from classical quantizers that there is no big need of custom scales though...

BTW: It‘s even useful to feed the output of a sequencer through the sinfonion. It can then transpose and reharmonise your melodies to match the chord progression.

An easily accessable tuning mode (dedicated button) allows an easy tuning of your up to eight voiced.

The sinfonion supports just intonation.

And there are lots of fixed and also six freely assignable inputs and outputs for lots of interesting integration into your patch.

Conclusion: The sinfonion manages up to eight voices in a conveniant and musical way with much support for live interaction.

Jason from Instruo and I hope that you will like it
love
atte
Just wow!
Summa
Great job! Really looking forward trying it out! applause applause
mdoudoroff
Thank you for the briefing, Mathias. I’d love to hear more about how you employ the Sinfonion with a melodic sequencer (or live tool such as a keyboard?)
pitri
this thing seems killer - it would be the ultimate sequencer if there was a second mode, that would turn the f.e. the quantizer outs into sequencer outs that could be controlled via the buttons (monome style).

anyways, seems like money well spent! we're not worthy
pieter
I hope Ben does an in-depth video for this one soon!
ngarjuna
Very interested.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6