MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New S-2000
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Author New S-2000
christie
Hey, I just got my new S-2000 tonight. Super-excited.

Going through the instructions - a Quick question right off the bat - I don't get sound other than the VCA click when following the directions unless the operator resonance setting is just past 4 o'clock - pointing at the "e" in resonance .

Is this range okay?

thanks!
numan7
i'll check mine in a couple of weeks (away from most of my electronic instruments at the moment - i have been missing s-2000 and d-2000 quite a bit).

what do you have 'drive' and 'tune' set at? i recall there being some interaction between these control settings and 'resonance'....

also, i don't recall much of what the instructions say (and most likely threw them in some box or dresser-drawer somewhere - hopefully not in the trash, but who knows...). could you please post them (i.e. a relevant snippet or two from the instructions you are following)?

cheers
christie
Thanks.

The instructions in the box are a printed copy of http://www.metasonix.com/S2000ownermanual.pdf.

I used the diagrams for the starting position.

Just wondering if there's something funky with mine, or if others only get 1/4 to 1/8 of a turn of working range from the resonance knobs.
numan7
christie wrote:
Thanks.

The instructions in the box are a printed copy of http://www.metasonix.com/S2000ownermanual.pdf.

I used the diagrams for the starting position.

Just wondering if there's something funky with mine, or if others only get 1/4 to 1/8 of a turn of working range from the resonance knobs.

ok (looking at the owner manual pdf on eric's website), so you have drive and tune set at around 12 o'clock for both operators.

i seem to recall that mine also has a fairly narrow resonance range where self-oscillation occurs (as do my R-54 modules, btw), but that it can depend on tune and drive settings (op1 drive affecting op2 resonance range, tuning affecting both). that is ok, because all we really want coming out from op1 when it is an oscillator is a sine wave (whose amplitude varies with resonance setting).

keep in mind that one of the use cases for the S-2000 is to have it acting as a dual bandpass filter on whatever is patched into the external audio input. in that case, the lower (non-self oscillating) portion of the resonance range becomes useful.

you may want to experiment with the 'tune' control of op1 in relation to its 'resonance' control to see how (or if) its self-oscillation range varies (as well as its amplitude - the effect of which becomes more apparent when you have both operators in self-oscillation). i know the manual says "12 o'clock for most purposes". but i seem to recall not following that bit of advice very frequently.

also, driving it from a eurorack sequencer, if you've got one, is very nice for experimenting with operator control knob positions and how they affect the timbre.

anyways, happy meta-wiggling! i'll try to chime back in this thread with a more detailed description of how my particular S-2000 behaves in a couple of weeks once i have it in front of me again.

cheers
christie
Great info and feedback (ha!), thanks.

I was getting wild stuff, crazy voices out of it but it's my first metasonix and wanted to see if the resonance knob range was typical.

The gate out from my SQ-1 sequencer wasn't enough to open the gate on the S-2000 - I ended up having to loop the sq-1 gate to a clock module on my rack and send its gate to the s-2000.

I'll push on the drive and tune controls next time.
metasonix
Yes that is the normal position for resonance.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Page 1 of 1