MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What is "patch programmable" in the Serge etc. sen
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author What is "patch programmable" in the Serge etc. sen
Bath House
This phrase is used a lot - does it just mean that a module can do really different things depending on how it's patched? So a filter isn't just a filter, it can be a slew, an LFO, etc.
user129
Yeah, that's the idea. The dusg, for example, can be a vca, filter, oscillator, lfo, envelope generator, slew, etc. depending on how it is patched up.

From the serge fans site:
"The Serge system is a little confusing at first, even if you're used to working with other modular systems. The confusion stems not only from the fact that Serge uses unfamiliar terms for some familiar functions, but from the fact that many of the modules don't perform single specific functions; rather, they're "patch-programmable," which means that they do different things depending on how they're patched up. This design allows Serge to put a lot of capabilities into a very small space. It also gives a small system a kind of flexibility that you'd expect to find only on the biggest modular systems."

Whole article here: http://www.serge-fans.com/history_3.htm
Navs
And some recent thoughts here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2629042#2629042

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=178901
Jari Jokinen
I wonder, how you Serge guys deal with the shortage of attenuators, inverters, mixers and VCA:s. Especially when those functions are often AC coupled. (Or are they?) Do you just live with it and patch accordingly?

I don't have any Serge, but I do have the "swiss army knife" DUSG in MU format.
CGS DUSG MU
I like it for certain things and it can cover utility functions by "patch programming". However, I think patching those can be fiddly and the results often not very convincing compared to a dedicated module. I guess same will apply, if using a wave folder as a VCA, for example.

Modulargrid doesn't show many utility modules that are easily available. Modcan A modules seem like good complement, but those have limited availability too.

Not trying to start argument here. Just interested in your opinions. I am in MU now, but after trying the Phenol, I would genuinely want some banana action.
lasesentaysiete
Jari Jokinen wrote:
I wonder, how you Serge guys deal with the shortage of attenuators, inverters, mixers and VCA:s.

Serge has all of these if you want them.
dbernhardt58
The Dual Processor is there for offsetting, mixing, etc. I have a LW-format CGS version with nicer pots so it works pretty well for audio, as well as CV.

I'm still learning, but find that the VC-in on lots of Serge modules have attenuation knobs.

I also got the LW/CGS Divider/Logic module (R*S also has them) and there's two inverters available there.

Yes, the only VCA I really have now is the top part of the Wave Multiplier (in R*S 3U format). But I'm learning how to use envelopes into filters to control the audio - particularly with the variable bandwidth vcf: R7 EG envelope into bandwidth CV-in, with the bandwidth knob set just right gives a nice articulation, like a VCA.
Jari Jokinen
dbernhardt58 wrote:
The Dual Processor is there for offsetting, mixing, etc. I have a LW-format CGS version with nicer pots so it works pretty well for audio, as well as CV.

Loudest Warning Dual Prc
I wouldn't get a system without this kind of module. The dual version panel seems to be sold out at the moment

Quote:
I also got the LW/CGS Divider/Logic module (R*S also has them) and there's two inverters available there.

Loudest Warning Divider / Logic
This does logic inverting. I was looking looking for voltage inverting as by Dual Processor. The Divider/Logic is not shown in Modulargrid by the way.

Here is a good looking VCA module. Also not shown in Modulargrid:
Loudest Warning Quad VCA
Seems essential to me. Switchable Log and Linear response. Someone know about availability? EDIT: Black jacks, so this is AC coupled then?

All these modules are DIY.
cygmu
There are plenty of regular VCAs and fancy faders and panners available. One particularly straightforward m-class panel as an example: http://www.serge-fans.com/m-class-hex-vca-mix.cfm

As for the loudest warning stuff, I’m pretty sure it’s all available if you get in touch with LW. the bad producer (for it is he!) will build modules to order or supply panels if you want to DIY. The quad VCA shown above uses Craig Lee’s pcb but you can make something like the Serge one on the panel I linked using Ken Stone’s DCSM boards. (I think you need two sets for that panning and fading quad VCA)
J3RK
I'm also happy to provide PCBs and panel layouts (for Front Panel Express) in Loudest Warning format. I've been doing a bit less in an "official" capacity lately, but still have plenty of things on hand for the DIYer who might be looking for a specific function.
CLee
Jari Jokinen wrote:
Here is a good looking VCA module. Also not shown in Modulargrid:
Loudest Warning Quad VCA
Seems essential to me. Switchable Log and Linear response. Someone know about availability? EDIT: Black jacks, so this is AC coupled then?

All these modules are DIY.

FYI,

http://clsound.com/quadvca.html

Boards are available, but there are a few fixes (none requiring trace cutting). Black jacks, but it's DC coupled
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1