MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I'm starting a youtube channel about music making
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author I'm starting a youtube channel about music making
Refund
Hello everyone

I've been spending the last few weeks learning to make videos, I'm trying to do a mix between a vlog and an instructional music production thing, eventually focusing on puredata/renoise and microtonal music, as well as the many gigs I play, since I usually redesign my rig from scratch and I think that would make interesting viewing

I have a pretty severe speech/cognitive impairment so I apologise for all the jump cuts, it's literally the only way I can make it intelligible

helpful criticism encouraged! I want to do a decent job of this and I'll no doubt have a few blind spots

My intended audience are people that already know tonnes about music, and are looking for the odd extra 'idea' and 'insight', rather than being full blown, step by step tutorials, although I'll probably get more "tutorial-like" with the puredata

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj_6oE3m0ZI

I'm aiming to release 1-2 videos a week, but it will be variable depending on how many gigs and projects I have, I should have plenty of content over summer (I'm in Australia so we're just coming into spring now)

I eventually want to get into more philosophical composition idea videos but I'm planning to use all the technical videos as 'practice' before I get into the harder task of expressing original ideas
timoka
cool! i'm definitely interested to see your more puredata centered "tutorials".
i like the video you posted, it's easy to understand, i like that i can see you and you do a good job of not cluttering the video with fancy shots and effects and whatnot, i like tutorials which focus on the content and you seem to deliver. now the only thing i find a bit distracting is the font you use in the video, i don't think it's suited for this informative stuff, it's hard to read and definitely not meant for informative titles and describtions...and it weirdly pushes the aura of the video into late 90ies drumnbass aesthetics. anyway your project looks very interesting and the pd patches intruiging!
ngarjuna
I don't think you need to apologize for the cutting, I didn't find it obtrusive (and since you warned us I was even watching for it).

I don't have any criticism for you, I thought it was pretty well put together: not too drawn out, not too detailed but not just a bunch of random nonsense/fluff either. The production quality of the video is pretty high for someone who has only been making videos for 'a few weeks'.
Soy Sos
I think the video is great. I get the thing about the 90's D&B font,
but maybe that's a part of your roots? Please keep doing it,
I'm in for the whole series! Super interested as these principals
are present in my work too.
Refund
Quote:
now the only thing i find a bit distracting is the font you use in the video, i don't think it's suited for this informative stuff

thanks for the feedback, I think I'll change the font, I'm sure I can find something I like that is also a little bit more readable

Quote:
i like that i can see you and you do a good job of not cluttering the video with fancy shots and effects and whatnot

it was a hard decision for me to show myself in the videos, but with my rambling speaking style (helped a lot by editing) I thought it was necessary to give context on how my face moves, so that it would be easier to decipher my speech

and as far as fancy shots and effects, I already felt I was going overboard with them, so it's good to hear that it's not taken that way at all (or maybe I'm not trying hard enough yet?)

Quote:
not too drawn out, not too detailed but not just a bunch of random nonsense/fluff either

I did a short course on teaching so although I've scripted everything as a rambly dialogue, I do have some points I'm focusing on getting across in all the videos, so I'll keep that up

Quote:
I'm in for the whole series!

woo! I should have something put up by monday evening, I have to get the patch ready for rehearsals on wednesday, I'll probably do another video on the rehearsals / performance too, I actually had another gig last night so I'm doing some mastering / video works for that which has stalled work on the video for the last 2 days, but it's coming
jsco
i stayed focused on the material the whole time, which is to say, nothing about the production or the narration jolted me out of it, so thumbs up from me. i'm excited to see the next video!

only criticism i have is that i was a little confused by the art installation shots. at first i thought the machines were going to be your physical percussion instruments, sequenced by the computer, but then i realized they were just unrelated material. (i think.)
Soy Sos
1. Dude, don't change your font. I've gone through some of your other vids
and it's sort a through-line of your aesthetic or dare I say "brand"
2. Love the content, wit and vibe.
3. Love the cutaways of the art and installation work.
4. I don't think your voice is weird or hard to understand at all.
5. Keep doing it if you enjoy it, I'm a new fan.
Refund
jsco wrote:
only criticism i have is that i was a little confused by the art installation shots. at first i thought the machines were going to be your physical percussion instruments, sequenced by the computer, but then i realized they were just unrelated material. (i think.)

I think that can edit it in a way that makes that a bit clearer
grillo
Lots of interesting topics, Subscribed!
baxoutthebox
badass dude! i started my own channel last week, my goals mirror yours to an extent! best of luck, let's do this
bwhittington
Soy Sos wrote:
1. Dude, don't change your font. I've gone through some of your other vids
and it's sort a through-line of your aesthetic or dare I say "brand".

Nothing in the world wrong with streamlining one's brand image to improve communication.

I enjoyed the video and wouldn't critique a thing about your speech or edits. The font doesn't seem that great, though.
neandrewthal
Refund wrote:

I have a pretty severe speech/cognitive impairment

What are you talking about? Doesn't seem like it to me.
Hainbach
Superinteresting work, subbed and looking forward to what comes!

here is a few points I noticed after watching four videos:

I personally don't like the whole "talking over music" thing, especially to a rather stressing tune such as the one in the Drum Machine video. Takes away focus from what you are saying. Also, voice levels would need to be higher or use a comp like Waves Rvox if you have this kind of backing music.

Almost all videos could easily be a minute longer, they feel rushed. Work with breaks, give the audience more time to understand. Its too dense for me at least.

The texts are hard to read and come by too quickly.

Why all the unrelated footage? Hiking? Art Installations? I really don't get that. I too thought you were building physical drum machines with computer sequencing and was excited.

Back your camera off a little, show a bit more of you. Like you are sitting across the table from your audience, not like you are in their face.
Refund
It's super helpful to finally get some proper ideas about how to improve it, it's been a pretty steep learning curve for me so I'm probably missing all kinds of other obvious things

I should be finishing another video tomorrow and hopefully uploading it tomorrow night or the night after

re: font
I'm going to change the font, I love that old font but if it's getting in the way I'll gladly prioritise intelligibility

re: music
the videos look and sound super weird without the music, I'd like to keep it in there, but I reckon if I turn it down at lot, that it will help, it also probably doesn't help that I'm deliberately using all my shitty tracks because I don't want to waste the good ones while I'm still learning to put these things together

re: voice
I thought I was already brickwall compressing my vocals to high hell but I'll experiment with pushing it more

re: editing is too quick
Australia has ancient ADSL upload speeds and every minute of footage takes about an hour, and meanwhile the whole house internet becomes unusable, so I have a brief window between 4am and 8am to upload without annoying any of my 3 other housemates, which is why I've been trying to edit the videos so quick, perhaps I could put less into each video and be more frequent instead?

re: unrelated footage
I still want to stick it in there because I like the idea that I have vlog-like elements smooshed into the format, so that things about who I am and what I get up to get thrown into the format along the way, I think the problem is that the way I've edited it together is too confusing, I have some ideas how I can fix that

re: backing off the camera
my DSLR has only has a 60mm (crop sensor equivalent) lens with low enough aperture to get the shot that I want, but I have a cheap wide angle filter coming in the mail from china and can get wider shots once that (eventually) arrives
Refund
neandrewthal wrote:
Refund wrote:

I have a pretty severe speech/cognitive impairment

What are you talking about? Doesn't seem like it to me.

I've been doing ok with these videos because I can script/rehearse/edit things out, but my brain just gets way too confused when speaking to people in real life, I have huge trouble with the 'rhythm' of speech and can't keep anything intelligible for very long,

I also take everything everyone says completely literally and it's hard to express how confusing it is to decode a regular persons speech in real time when your standard mode of operation is to take everything at face value

and I usually speak entirely monotone with weird inflections, but I 'script' in the 'correct' vocal inflections into dialogue to fix that as well
Hainbach
Oh wow, that sucks with the Internet connection. Takes half an hour here for 10 min if I am lazy and on wifi, 10 if I use the LAN cable.

Anyway, I will be watching and don't stress yourself out too much. Two videos a week is a very professional schedule and for my format it equates to 3.5 days of work plus half a day in responding. And my channel is still small.
Zube
Great stuff! Already you've covered some stuff I've been looking into, or I needed a bit of extra help on. Thanks! Subscribed
dubonaire
I just watched your first video and it's possibly one of the best music production videos I've seen.

I really like how you broke down the three key dimensions that will inform your approach. I wish I was that systematic.

I also liked the inscription/transcription/transduction references that I'm assuming you intended. The installation looks great.
Refund
finally uploaded the new video, I aimed for having it be much more direct, less distracting, quieter music, and fixed the font

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXd04qxtdYE
hellfeatures
great video. subscribed and looking forward to seeing more
personally big into the microtonal vibes, would love to see more of your setup/thoughts with regard to that aspect
Refund
thanks!

some upcoming topics are making microtonal instrument sample packs for renoise (or any multi-sample capable daw) and also how to do spreadsheet conversions for the different scale types (ratios/cents/edo/harmonicfolding)
mckenic
Subbed!

Enjoyed the series and some of the others too - thank you for sharing!
JakoGreyshire
I liked your videos... I like the cuts too... Remember Max Headroom from the 80's?? (Shit.. of course not!.. I'm getting old....ughh... Look it up mate...or as you young kids say:"google it") I'm not comparing you to Max... No.. Just the style. Actually the cuts are super style-y. I'm thinking of copying your cutting style. I think it's cool. Please do it on purpose from now on... Even if you get some sentences or wording perfect, record it again just so you can chop it up for the effect!

Keep up the good work.. thumbs up thumbs up
hellfeatures
Refund wrote:

some upcoming topics are making microtonal instrument sample packs for renoise (or any multi-sample capable daw) and also how to do spreadsheet conversions for the different scale types (ratios/cents/edo/harmonicfolding)

This sounds great.
Really enjoyed the video on the Xenharmonic/PD patch
I have been making microtonal instruments with Reaktor for a few years now, would be really interested to see your approach re- DAW/Sampler..
Refund
Hainbach wrote:
Two videos a week is a very professional schedule and for my format it equates to 3.5 days of work plus half a day in responding. And my channel is still small.

I've since decided to scale back to doing one a week and focusing on quality
once I have the quality consistent, I'll go back to my 2 videos a week goal

I only just got around to watching some videos on your youtube channel and your videowork/editing is fucking fantastic

I'm going to use your videos as a reference point for the quality of my future videos, it's doing so many of the things I'm trying to do, but way better than anything I've done,

I'd like to know about your process regarding
dialogue scripting
planning for your "feature" shots (eg. the overhead shots of making music)
planning insert shots

do you do things in a particular order?
what is your process for coming up with and organising ideas for later videos?

this is probably way too much information for a muffwiggler forum response but I'd love to hear all about these things if you're happy to share details
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2