MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Trouble with Synth Invent (Dot Com website tool).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Trouble with Synth Invent (Dot Com website tool).
Rex Coil 7
I've used that little (very cool!) program in the Synthesizers.Com website called "synth invent" that allows one to put together a virtual modular synth. It tells you all kinds of neat things, like total cost of the stuff you've selected, as well as total power consumption of the modules you've included.

I've used the total power consumption feature a few times to help me with calculating total power supply requirements. That is where I seem to get into trouble. It seems that EVERY SINGLE TIME that I click on "calculate power", the pop up window does it's job, popping up and displaying the total power consumption of the modules I've selected. Well and good, however .....

.... There's no way to get out of that window! There's simply nothing I can do to get anywhere after I've clicked on the "consumption" button. If I try to close Synth Invent, that pop up just sits there sortof ~flashing~ or ~blinking~ at me (as if to tell me that the pop up is still open and must be closed before going any further). Yea, I get that .... but there's no way to close it. No "close" button, no red "x" at the top corner of the pop up window, nothing.

I end up having to do the ~control-alt-delete~ thing to bring up task manager and close down the entire program from there. Task manager always says "This program is not responding" (no shit?) and begins to shut it down, then another pop up asks me if I want to send a message to Microsoft to report the problem. I click "yes" each time ... just cuz ... y'know .. reasons.

Anyhow, does this happen to anyone else? I'm using:

** Win7 Pro
** SP1
** 8GB of active RAM.
** Intel Dual Core CPU.
** 3ghz.
** 64 bit.
** 3 TB of open HD space.

So ...... seriously, i just don't get it

OH! BTW .... it has done this with the last 3 computers I've had over the last ten odd years, all the way from Win XP on up to now. I'm gots no cloo.

OH! One more BTW .... I've written Roger about it, he insisted that it works fine and that the trouble is on my end. Granted that was five years ago.

Thanks.
hsosdrum
I just tried it (Windows 7) and the pop-up window with all the power numbers also had an "OK" button near the bottom that closes the window when I clicked it. Works the same on my computer at home (I'm at work right now). Here it is:

Rex Coil 7
hsosdrum wrote:
I just tried it (Windows 7) and the pop-up window with all the power numbers also had an "OK" button near the bottom that closes the window when I clicked it. Works the same on my computer at home (I'm at work right now). Here it is:

I see the button, I suppose I misspoke in my post. The button shows up on my system as well, however when pressed the pop up simply does nothing but sit there. I've tried everything I can to get the window to close, it simply refuses. And the program is ~locked up~ (in other words it won't do anything at all until that pop up is closed) unless the pop up closes. Only option is using task manager at that point. Even then task manager reports that "this program is not responding".

Dunno. seriously, i just don't get it
hsosdrum
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

Dunno. seriously, i just don't get it

Beats the shit outta me too...
Rex Coil 7
HAA! I just now tried to open SynthInvent to try again .... nope.

Here's a few screen grabs:

I tried to open SynthInvent with PC Matic Super Shield running, and S.I. wouldn't even OPEN! Here's the pop up from that effort.

I turned PC Matic off (back on now though) and tried again, this time it opened. So I selected a cab, put 2 modules in it, went to compute power consumption (which worked) ... however, same old trouble. The program totally locks up, nothing works, nothing can even be moved around (I can't move windows or pop ups around by mouse dragging) .. .just nothing. Other programs run, such as PAINT. And I can access them by clicking on icons that are still in view (but I cannot move Synth Invent or minimize it, or close it). Here's what that looked like (notice there is no "OK" button ... the entire pop up window just ~blinks~ at me when I try to do ANYTHING with the mouse when it's in this state):

CONTROL - ALT - DELETE (again!) and Task Manager opens, I select SynthInvent from the Task Manager list, tell it to shut S.I. down, and then I get this .....

So then I thought that maybe since I didn't select a power supply or power system controls that may be the problem. So I opened it all up again (PC Matic still off at that time), selected a cab, placed 2 modules plus a power control module in the cab. Then I selected a power supply, and squid. Computed power consumption ... this time I got this green banner saying I had enough power ... but still no "OK" button, and the pop up window still did the ~blinky~ thing at me any time I tried to do ANYTHING with the mouse inside of Synth Invent. So once more, I go with Control - Alt - Delete, open task manager, select Synth Invent, tell it to shut it down, and I got the same "Fuck you!" message about the program not responding. Here's the screen grabs from that effort.

NO "OK" BUTTON!

And just as a reminder, Synth Invent has done this to me through THREE separate computers over the last ... hmmm ... 5+ years? Each computer using different versions of Windows (currently Win 7 Pro).

No clue ..... very frustrating seriously, i just don't get it d'oh! eek! Dead Banana

WTF, OVER?! ....
Dr Gris
Use a beefy PSU, get a Mac & move on... cool hihi twisted

Sorry, couldn't resist a joke... Mr. Green

//M
steffengrondahl
I'm able to close the power consumption popup with ALT+F4. Perhaps give it a try?

Still strange with the missing OK button. As far as I remember Synth Invent uses some .Net libraries/framework, so perhaps something is missing here or not updated? Can't remember I've done anything explicit hmmm..... Have you tried to reinstall synth invent (well you probably have if you installed on 3 separate computers hmmm..... )

Cheers, Steffen (who actually found the easter egg in synth invent some years ago hihi)
Rex Coil 7
steffengrondahl wrote:
I'm able to close the power consumption popup with ALT+F4. Perhaps give it a try?

Still strange with the missing OK button. As far as I remember Synth Invent uses some .Net libraries/framework, so perhaps something is missing here or not updated? Can't remember I've done anything explicit hmmm..... Have you tried to reinstall synth invent (well you probably have if you installed on 3 separate computers hmmm..... )

Cheers, Steffen (who actually found the easter egg in synth invent some years ago hihi)
That's actually a fair question (highlighted above). "Yes" it is the most recent version offered on the Dot Com website. And it's a fresh installation since this is a brand new computer.

I will try the ALT+F4 thing. Thanks for looking this over.

thumbs up
Rex Coil 7
Dr Gris wrote:
Use a beefy PSU....
Uh .... whut?

Dr Gris wrote:
.... get a Mac & move on...
Not even with a gun to my head.

MAC vs PC: One is fast food made for the masses. The other is a kitchen stocked with excellent ingredients and outstanding utensils. One is designed for those with credit ratings, the other is for those with a will to customize and adapt the system for personal use that goes beyond simply buying software.

Sorry ... couldn't resist the joke. lol
EPTC
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

That error initially suggests a permissions error on the files themselves, but then specifically it says it can't run that file because Super Shield is detecting it as unrecognized software.

Short version: Reconfigure your spy software to allow the exe of Syntinvent.exe (if it allows you to do this) or try turning off Super Shield when you use Synthinvent.

Give that a try.
mutierend
Have you tried contacting Roger at synthesizers.com?
Rex Coil 7
EPTC wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

That error initially suggests a permissions error on the files themselves, but then specifically it says it can't run that file because Super Shield is detecting it as unrecognized software.

Short version: Reconfigure your spy software to allow the exe of Syntinvent.exe (if it allows you to do this) or try turning off Super Shield when you use Synthinvent.

Give that a try.

From my third post, right beneath that picture, and written in ~bold~ text .....

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
.... I tried to open SynthInvent with PC Matic Super Shield running, and S.I. wouldn't even OPEN!....
.... I turned PC Matic off ... and tried again, this time it opened. So I selected a cab, put 2 modules in it, went to compute power consumption (which worked) ... however, same old trouble.

mutierend wrote:
Have you tried contacting Roger at synthesizers.com?

From my very first post ....

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
.... I've written Roger about it, he insisted that it works fine and that the trouble is on my end.....

thumbs up So .... The MSN Smack! (just kidding around ...)
mutierend
I should rephrase: have you tried contacting Roger in 2017?
Silflay Hraka
Shot in the dark time -- Have you scaled up your display settings?
If I remember correctly, changing font size (on Windows, not individual programs) had strange effects on boxes and buttons and such.
ranix
you have some hardware or software quirk in your system that is triggering a bug in the synthinvent software. There are too many moving parts to chase down what exactly is causing the problem and debugging Windows applications is basically a waste of time and the system gives you no tools to do it with.

This program was probably written for a random version of windows (xp? who knows what service pack, probably whatever Roger had when he wrote it) with random hardware and software installed on it. If it does work on your system it's going to be mostly a happy accident.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Windows
Zodanga
Have you checked Windows' Event Viewer? (Event Viewer | Windows Logs | Application) If something in your environment is amiss, the OS may very well be recording important clues there. Since you got a permissions-related error, also check the Security logs.

I've never encountered any issues with SI on Windows 7~10. It's likely that either something is missing or damaged on your system, or that other software you are running is interfering with something it's trying to do.

This may not really be the place to do a full cleanup discussion, but look into things like "SFC /SCANNOW," etc. Check that you have the .NET framework properly installed also.
Rex Coil 7
Thanks a LOT for all of the help!

~No~ ... I still have not located the issue. It is just SO WEIRD that the little ~button~ does not appear.

seriously, i just don't get it Meh ..... I only use Synth Invent for calculating my power draw, and the occasional modeling of module setups for screen grabs that I later import into "Paint" ... cuz reasons.

To answer one of the questions .... ~no~ I have not attempted to contact Roger (Arrick) about the issue this year. With all of the new things and systems Roger has been busy with, the last thing I want to do is slow him down with some little nonsense about my computer. He has just been a machine lately, grinding out new product after new product.

Go Roger, GO!

And thanks once more to everyone that replied ....

thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1