MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Oakley Project: SRE330 stereo ensemble
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author New Oakley Project: SRE330 stereo ensemble
Synthbuilder

My newest rack project - the SRE330 stereo rack ensemble.

PCBs are now available from me. More information, Builders Guide, User Manual and ordering information at the project webpage:

http://www.oakleysound.com/sre330.htm

The Oakley SRE330 is a multi mode stereo ensemble unit designed to mimic the behaviour of the multichannel chorus and ensemble units of late 1970s and early 1980s. The SRE330 uses up to four channels of bucket brigade delay (BBD) lines and up to four voltage controlled low frequency oscillators (LFO) to achieve a sound reminiscent of various types of string machines, guitar chorus pedals and studio rack effects of yesteryear.

Unlike the original devices the SRE330 allows greater control over the modulation depths, speeds and waveforms, as well as featuring a wet/dry control. Input and output level control pots are also provided to allow maximum flexibility in dealing with a variety of input signal levels. Both the stereo input and output connections are balanced but can be used with unbalanced connections if desired.

The unit features classic companding noise reduction circuitry which keeps unwanted noise levels to an acceptable level while also adding a 'vintage' sound of its own. A four LED level meter helps you keep signal levels at optimum ensuring a good noise to signal ratio without clipping.

This is what it can sound like.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/takla-makan/sre330-noodling[/s]

The above is my playing around with the controls. In this sound sample set you hear the raw sawtooth first from a Roland Alpha Juno 2, and then the rest of the set I'm processing the Juno's mono output with the SRE330 to produce a rich string synth sound. At extreme modulation depths the induced vibrato effect can be very pronounced.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/takla-makan/lowrey-vs-sre330[/s]

This above sample set uses a Roland Alpha Juno to create a raw sawtooth pad which is then sent to both an Oakley Sound SRE330 and a Lowrey Symphonic Ensemble unit from 1975. The Lowrey ensemble is basically their version of the triple ensemble circuitry from the Solina string machine complete with TCA350Y BBDs.

In this set you hear the same sound firstly played through the Lowrey and then the SRE330 in Triple Ensemble Mode. I crossfade between the two effects after each sound to show how similar they sound. However, they are not identical. The Lowrey is noisier with considerable modulation oscillator breakthrough and there is some of sort of peak in the frequency response which isn't there in the more mellow SRE330. The latter could be added with EQ should one wish to replicate that part of the sound.

It should be noted that the SRE330's and Lowrey's outputs have been put into mono for this sample set to recreate the sound of most analogue string machines.

Tony
Synthsense
Sounds nice! It makes the Alpha sound much older. Well done
limpmeat
Wow! sounds great.
yan6
very lovely, nice work thumbs up

I'm curious about the sticker you used for the Bryant chassis, its a very nice look and solution, would you be willing to share any info with regards to it. Is the color of that chassis the "deep dawn mist" or a custom color.
cranleigh
This looks right up my alley, but I don't fancy the drill-your-own-faceplate side of things. Any chance of a run of pre-made cases?
julian
If you are happy to drill the back panel, then there are off-the-shelf 1u rack units that have flat front panels.

In the uk, even maplin used to, maybe still does, sell them. You can just remove the factory front panel, and replace it with a custom engraved / cnc panel.

The back, however, you would have to drill. Or at least you needed to with the maplin cases, as the rear panels were steel.

I cut a few panels for one of Tony's other designs - the 1u 303 clone for these cases, but im sure there are many other options.

You just need to look for a case that has a removable front panel, that has no folds or ridges on it - ie is an entirely flat sheet.
consumed
nice looking project. i picked up a very decent 1U 19" steel rack with a flat aluminum panel off *bay recently that looks to be perfect for this:

http://ebay.to/2yl4PMH

julian
That looks very very similar construction to the cases i was talking about.

The only awkward bit is that the sides, and back, are all one single bit of steel - which makes drilling the back awkward (but entirely possible!) but the front can be removed and replaced with an engraved (etc) replacement.
Synthbuilder
yan6 wrote:
I'm curious about the sticker you used for the Bryant chassis, its a very nice look and solution, would you be willing to share any info with regards to it.

It's not a sticker as such but a 2mm thick engraved aluminium panel from Schaeffer - you could use Front Panel Express in North America. The FPD database is on the project webpage.

I'd like to have used a 1mm or 1.5mm panel but they aren't able to do those as standard.

Quote:
Is the color of that chassis the "deep dawn mist" or a custom color.

That's a dawn mist front panel. The brushed aluminium version is cheaper and I think looks just as good when you put a Schaeffer panel on top.

Tony
julian
Synthbuilder wrote:

It's not a sticker as such but a 2mm thick engraved aluminium panel from Schaeffer - you could use Front Panel Express in North America. The FPD database is on the project webpage.

I'd like to have used a 1mm or 1.5mm panel but they aren't able to do those as standard.

I was thinking they did 1.5 now, but ive just checked, and they have a size restriction on the thin metal.

I wonder why that is.
Synthbuilder
cranleigh wrote:
Any chance of a run of pre-made cases?

I'm looking into it. I'm hoping to be able to manufacture the SRE330 as a ready made unit and I will be wanting some nice cases. I think they'll be quite expensive as the number of units will be probably be quite low. Either way, I'll let people know as soon as I have some news.

Tony
consumed
julian wrote:
That looks very very similar construction to the cases i was talking about.

The only awkward bit is that the sides, and back, are all one single bit of steel - which makes drilling the back awkward (but entirely possible!) but the front can be removed and replaced with an engraved (etc) replacement.

the picture does not show it, but the sides and rear are separate pieces that screw together. the case is made of six pieces.

this case was intended for my as-yet unfinished filtrex 2. i had originally intended to order a replacement panel from FPE but i may just send this panel in for them to engrave instead...im pretty happy with the look of it.
sanders
Do you have any plans for a re-make/re-model of the Human Voice Filter? Was impressed w the demos and always intended to buy a Kit--didn't realize till now that it was discontinued.

Synthbuilder wrote:
cranleigh wrote:
Any chance of a run of pre-made cases?

Either way, I'll let people know as soon as I have some news.
sanders
Synthbuilder wrote:

You probably know this already, but maybe it's still worth pointing out: Front Panel Express will make 1mm or 1.5mm panels in any size, you just have to request it in the special instructions window. As far as I know, there's no extra fee. I've ordered 1.5mm panels this way many times.
heapish
What kinda price are we looking at for the BOM?
Haralds:Werk
Just looked through the BOM.
Are those 3mm LED low current (2mA) types?
The BC550 and BC560 transistors A,B or C types?
julian
Forgive the rain spots -

This part was cut using Tony's overlay design, centred into a 3mm 19" panel, with radiused corners.

I have just uploaded a single unit of this test part to my shop -

http://thebeast.co.uk/?product=19-oakley-sre330-panel
Eric the Red
Julian - your panels always look great.
julian
Thank you. Everyone always likes compliments!

: )

Remember however - the working / functional area is Tony's layout, not mine.
consumed
Eric the Red wrote:
Julian - your panels always look great.

agreed SlayerBadger!
yan6
I scooped it quick nanners.... great work. What is a suggested box for this to mount to.
julian
yan6 wrote:
I scooped it quick nanners.... great work. What is a suggested box for this to mount to.

Thank you. I will post it out tomorrow.

As commented above, it will work with any case that has a flat removable front panel (ie not folded).

You will need to drill the holes that attatch the panel to the case (i cant do that, as they are all slightly different) but that is simple enough - remove the original panel, and lie it on the back of the engraved panel, then drill through, using the original panel as a guide for the drill itself. There is no need to measure anything, just align the drill through the hole to drill the second panel.

It works well if you tightly wrap them in food wrap, so they are bonded as one unit before you drill - that also protects the engraved panel - its easy, and can be done with hand tools.

Also, the edge of the cut is ok to be drilled (rather than milled) as it will be covered by the fixing screw anyway.

The case that consumed linked to above looks fine so far as the panel goes. You can see the 4 mounting screws where the front panel fastens to the body of the case -

These are the 4 fixing points.
Synthbuilder
The first run of boards have sold out. Thank you to everyone who has bought one.

I have ordered some more boards and they should be arriving towards the end of November. If anyone would like board sets I am now taking pre-orders.

http://www.oakleysound.com/sre330.htm

Tony
Synthbuilder
julian wrote:

Just noticed something about that panel. It's got some extra holes that aren't needed for a complete 19" front panel. The three leftmost unlabelled small holes along the central axis were there to help affix the thin overlay to an existing front panel. They were designed for three M3 screws that would go through the overlay and the enclosure's front panel. Nuts and washers would then go onto the screws from the inside.

The fourth unlabelled hole on the right is required as it is for the power switch. This would need to be made larger for the switch chosen.

Tony
julian
I am re-cutting yan6's panel due to Tony's comment above.

At the same time, i am going to cut a couple of extra panels.

Power hole will remain small, for the end user's power switch choice, but the three left holes are removed.

I will take another photo when they are done and post up here, should anyone else require the part.

Thank you.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2