MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New DotCom module - Q114
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author New DotCom module - Q114
Voltage_Controller
looks compelling:

https://www.synthesizers.com/q114.html
hsosdrum
TOTALLY compelling — I'm gettin' me one, fer sure!
ba1
Looks great!

I just realized that between the ++ and A series, Roger has released a whole, not so basic system in the last year or so.
Huba-Swift
Seems to be a very versatile and well thought out utility module! Love the fact that it can be used essentially as an attenuverter.
wily
So it's a mixer, attenuator, amplifier, clipper, distributor, ...

Also daisy-chainable.

Also, according to the datasheet, every channel has a jumper so we can select what the option switch does on each channel.

Cool, sign me up.
Flareless
Nice to wake up and see this new toy! Very flexible and cool. I might have to check one of these puppies out.

Thanks Roger! thumbs up
alternating.bit
Too complicated for me. I prefer a straightforward mixer hihi
But yes, Roger has definitely upgraded the potential of Dotcom with these ++'s
Squattamolie
alternating.bit wrote:
Too complicated for me. I prefer a straightforward mixer.....

Don't think of it as a mixer - it's a combo of a Q125, a Q147, a Moon 525, an STG Active Attenuator, and then adding in a few more features. It's a swiss army knife module. I think it's an absolute winner and I foresee getting at least two, maybe three (not to combine, but to place singly here and there - just too useful not to).

I agree that some of the ++ modules are getting away from what I fell in love with about modular. It's not Roger's fault (hey, lots of folks used to slam him for his modules being too sparse/simple, now some bemoan the new ones being too dense - poor guy can't win!). That said, I think some designs lend themselves better to the denser format than others (the Q167 rocks, and I think the Q173 also utilizes the density in ways that allow the user to dive in as shallow or deep as they want). I initially felt that the Q179 was too much, but after spending some time with it, I'm liking it more and more.

But this new one is really not that complicated, there's no menu diving or 12-page data sheet.

One thing funny - I was playing a game trying to figure out what the model # of the new module would be, and I immediately ruled Q114 out - because on his old site, hidden (if you knew where to look) was a description for a "Q114" (this was around 14 years ago) - and it was a 4MU powered speaker module! I think this idea predated even the portable cabs.

alternating.bit
1) I want that speaker module something wonderful

2) It doesn't matter if I THINK of it as a mixer or not but all those other modules I've never found a need for; clippers, folders, "attenuverters" and what have you. Another reason why I'm selling the "must have essential module" that is the Signal Processor. I never found a use for it.

Everything I say is obviously just my own opinion and about my needs. I'm a rather simplistic person. I'm also one of the people who used to gripe about Dotcom modules being too vanilla but for me he took things a bit too far. I prefer simple combos like Oakley does; TWO VCAs instead of one, combining noise with another function etc.
Dr Gris
Looking at his instruction video.
So in theory I can get 500 Volts out of this... hmmm..... Dead Banana
I just gotta have that!!! nanners

//M
alternating.bit
That's precisely the stuff I don't understand... VOLTS. When does someone need "more volts"?? Unless you're talking about a muted signal run through a lot of filter processing that may need a boost (which I use an insturment amplifier for), I still haven't grasped the concept of voltage numbers and what they are for. I thought you just need sufficient volts to power a unit, period.
Eric the Red
On topic: cool Module - still planning out what modules to get to finish off my “Box 33”.. DIY First. Stay focused Eric!!

Off topic - Alt Bit, I understand what you are saying - I don’t get it much either. I think Voltages = Octave? Is my basic understanding

Note, everything I am saying is most likely incorrect because of my ignorance / lack of experience - please please please correct me.

1V = Middle C (C4)
2V = c5
3V = C6

That’s my understanding... for now. Who wants to drop some knowledge on me?
Just me
Eric the Red wrote:
On topic: cool Module - still planning out what modules to get to finish off my “Box 33”.. DIY First. Stay focused Eric!!

Off topic - Alt Bit, I understand what you are saying - I don’t get it much either. I think Voltages = Octave? Is my basic understanding

Note, everything I am saying is most likely incorrect because of my ignorance / lack of experience - please please please correct me.

1V = Middle C (C4)
2V = c5
3V = C6

1V= 1 octave above whatever the OSC is tuned to.
2V= 2 octave above whatever the OSC is tuned to.
0V=whatever the OSC is tuned to
-1V=1 octave below whatever the OSC is tuned to. (Provided the OSC can accept bipolar signals.)
Eric the Red
Nice! Just like throwing a grenade... I was close enough Rockin' Banana!
bwhittington
alternating.bit wrote:
That's precisely the stuff I don't understand... VOLTS. When does someone need "more volts"??

I suspect you may just stumbling over the way he phrased that. When you turn many knobs on your synth, you are often adding or subtracting voltages. Amplifiers, attenuverters, etc, ultimately just adjust a voltage range for a more nuanced or more drastic effect. You probably do so in lots of little places in your system. Transposing notes, say, which are 1 v/oct, of course. Or if you want to fully open an LPG with a 5v envelope, you might need to double the voltage. Or if you want to use an EG to close a filter, you might want to invert it, etc. Or maybe you don't, since you mentioned not having a use for your Q125. That is okay, too! oops

You referred to volts to power modules. That is the behind-the-panel application, but your patch cords are also carrying voltages, and the functions of the Q114 and others just manipulate those levels for greater control.
trentpmcd
Looks good to me, and since I had a few of the modules that it combines on my wish list already... I just updated my wish list hihi

For modular, I want to be able to look at a module and know what is going on. If you can set a parameter, toggle or switch something, and change another parameter with the same nob with the first parameter keeping its value, no, I do not want it. If I read the datasheet for the Q179 envelope++ correctly, you can hide settings like that. For the new Q114, since it is a little customizable with jumpers, I might not be able to look at your synth and know what it's doing, but I would know with my own module - it is straight forward enough, yet powerful.
EPTC
The new module from Roger looks terrific!

alternating.bit wrote:
Another reason why I'm selling the "must have essential module" that is the Signal Processor. I never found a use for it.

Simple example of its usefulness is with modules that require a 10v trigger to open up their gate; most of the best sequencers send out a 5v, so that conversion to modify a 5v to a 10v is very useful.

That function seems included in Roger's new swiss army knife, as well. Nice job!

(btw, Alt.bit - where's your sale for the Q125? Not seeing it in BST)
Squattamolie
alternating.bit wrote:
That's precisely the stuff I don't understand... VOLTS.....

I teach this stuff all the time as my full-time job (I'll spare you the details). It's probably stuff you already know, but maybe just don't put the same words to it.

If sound is not in acoustic form (dB-SPL "sound pressure level"), it is in electrical form ("electrical dBs" like dBv, dBu, etc.). Sound in your modular is literally AC voltage (usually +/-5V, or 10V peak-to-peak), and all the CV you send anywhere, for anything, for any reason, is also voltage (usually 0-5 VDC but sometimes AC for LFOs or doing FM synthesis). Everything you patch in a modular, whether it is "sound" or not, is voltage.

The great thing about modulars is that they are all customized to each of us individually, so if you have no need of utility modules like this, that is just as fine as if you use 100 of them. That said, it is (IMO) in your interest to at least know about modules like these, given the fact that so many other people find them to be a lot of use. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing (from seeing previous posts etc.) that your system is as big or bigger than mine (132MU), and, besides 5 dedicated mixer modules, I have and use a half dozen utility modules like these (STG Active Attenuators, Moon 525, Q125, AC 4X interface, etc.) - they really do add a lot of power and functionality.
josaka
This is basically an oakley multi mix on steroids then.. Rodger has tried the seemingly daunting task of explaining a "new" module to the 5u masses again.. kudos...like Pablo with his sub mix osc..
josaka
Muff induced double post..
Rex Coil 7
Eric the Red wrote:

1V = Middle C (C4)
2V = c5
3V = C6

That's all about control voltages (the stuff you're speaking of Eric). A lot of what may be done with this can involve AUDIO signals ... easily driving the opamps of this new gizmo into clipping.

It's nice, I may find a use for it, however for now the several Q147 Distributors I have are plenty fine. There's a jumper in the back panel that pumps up the output 200%, whether in distributor mode (signal patched into input) or in voltage source mode (no signal patched into input).

As far as driving the mixer channels, the little mod I do the the buck standard Q112/Q113 mixers works neat for that.

At the end of the day, everyone has their own ideas about what ~good~ is.

Jyoo no whut I'n saying, mangs? thumbs up
Ockeghem
Eric the Red wrote:

1V = Middle C (C4)
2V = c5
3V = C6

Remember:
Too much voltage and it Hertz,
Too many Hertz, and it's Über.
Dead Banana
Synthesizers.com is indeed on a 1-volt per octave standard. Other hardware synths have other standards...but I digress somewhat...
I like this mixer module, to return abruptly to the topic. Will probably get one.
Dcramer
Very cool w00t
Mirolab
I love this so much!.... I use the top half of my Q125 signal processor all the time, but it's hard to justify a whole space for a 2nd one..... I've always wished the Q125 had 2 identical (Gain+Offset) sections. This Q114 will do that, plus plus so much more. This module looks like a winner to me, and is about as intuitive as it can be considering all the flexibility.
As for the comment above about never needing "more volts"..... you don't if you stay within your modular... but having a x100 input allows you to easily patch a signal in directly from an external source or guitar pedal, which is usually well below the 5v modular level.
The only thing I find confusing is that in the description, it states that the knobs ATTENUATE from 0 - 100%.... read literally..... that means that the signal is at Max when the knob is fully CCW (0% attenuation).... I wonder if that's correct, or just misstated. It would not be intuitive for the knobs to work backwards. I'll still buy one anyway!
alternating.bit
EPTC wrote:

(btw, Alt.bit - where's your sale for the Q125? Not seeing it in BST)

I sold it in an "essentials suite" grouping.

Thanks everyone for the explanations. As I figured, it's not really that important to me and my feeling is if a module requires a voltage that isn't standard and requires another module to make it work then it is simply bad design.
My MFOS sequencer can't accept certain inputs for clock unless it has extra juice which I've become used to, and interestingly my Yusynth clock divider always feeds the same signal to the sequencer triggering it just fine so maybe the divider gives it the boost it needs somehow.

Sorry for derailing this thread.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2