MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dead WAD?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Dead WAD?
n3wt15
So I left my equipment for a little over a month, I return and rewire my entire studio, I go to use my Animate the other night, and my wad isn't doing much of anything... It makes a quiet high pitched noise that hardly changes while turning dials, thats it.... Any advice on what I can do?
Very little DIY skills here.
sad banana
phisynth
I remember I received once a panel containing a WAD, with almost no sound coming out of it apart from a high pitched tone similar to what you describe. I resurrected it by tweaking the two trimmer inside, but I'm unable to explain how exactly any longer (it was a long time ago). I just remember these trimmer were very sensitive and needed very careful adjustments. There was a thread on the now defunct quadslope forum about it. So I believe there's hope, but unfortunately, cannot help you any further
batchas
From an old thread:

"The two trimmers that are next to each other are the bias 'window' offset for Outputs A & B the one next to the Reticon BBD chip is 'output B' and the other being 'output A'.

I recommend that you optimize the trimmer for 'output A' first as this feeds 'B', which is trimmed lastly."
bwhittington
I hope the trimmer adjustment proves to be the solution. When mine was unresponsive, the chips needed replacing, and that was an expensive proposition. I don't recall a high pitched noise in my case, though. Best of luck!
batchas
bwhittington wrote:
I hope the trimmer adjustment proves to be the solution. When mine was unresponsive, the chips needed replacing, and that was an expensive proposition. I don't recall a high pitched noise in my case, though. Best of luck!

Indeed, on my Klangzeit, when the Reticon was dead, there was no high pitch noise.
And by experience on my other WAD, trimmers should help against this high pitch noise. You'll find the right spot by ear starting with A. Only when you get A correctly you can trim B.
Microchanges will affect it drastically, so you need to do it meticulously.
syncretism
So, I had this exact same problem, n3wt15, except it has worked perfectly since then. Frustrating, but I hope it turns out the same, too.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1