MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Solo Tocante
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author Solo Tocante
Yasha
I started this thread because I've been really getting into solo Tocante playing lately. I've started doing some recording and I'd like to hear other examples, especially from some of the underrepresented models like the Thyrises, the bass jobbies and the new red-intonated versions. Not just the basic touchpad sounds but all the nitty and the gritty madness that laying on hands can produce. I want to see what kinds of sounds can be squeezed out of all the other Tocantes.
Yasha
I didn't really know what I was getting myself into when I bought my Tocante Bistab. Things started to click one night when I was really, really high, playing the Bistab in the dark. I learned that, with lots of sandrode action, the analog circuits produce constantly evolving sound. Even though the basic notes are square waves, with all the modulation going within its analog circuitry it seems like almost anything can come out: sometimes sounds like saxophones, electric guitars, violins, flutes, human voices...

You don't have to move your fingers much to get a wide range of sound. Subtle changes in finger pressure can make a big difference. Lifting and dropping fingers can accelerate the timbre changes. I worry that I might break the wooden case some day because I find myself squeezing from both sides -- my fingers on top and my thumbs on the bottom -- treating it as if it were some kind of squishable instrument.

Playing the Bistab, it sometimes seems like the Bistab is doing most of the improvisation and that I need to stay on top of it and steer it. When I'm getting a new sound that interests me, I try to focus on it and play with it until it slips away into something else.

I've been trying to record it, but under the effects of cannabis I'm not very motivated to fiddle with the laptop. I've been hoping to find ways to get back into the Tocante trance without herbal assistance. Just closing my eyes can help. Here's one recording from last Saturday, under the influence of coffee. I rather drenched it in reverb from Smartelectronix Ambient.
Smokey
I dig your Bistab video! The beginning melody sounds a bit like a Reveille.

Here is some more solo Tocante action. Solo, mostly outside, action is what I got them for! I like to record them with a field recorder to get that raw, distorted, tiny speaker sound

Here's my latest Karper video. It was a super hot day, the air was sticky and I barely had to touch the Karper to get it to go off. I recommend everyone, at least once, hold their Tocante against their skull while playing as it transmits the sound through the skull wonderfully (skip to 1:20 to see a third eye Tocante meditation)! You can ignore the last third as I'm just tripping out with a Kalimba.

I like this one with the Phashi as it came out kinda bluesy. Probably posted this somewhere before...

There are a bunch more solo Tocante viddys on my Youtube if anyone is interested.

I gotta get my hands on some of the bass models.
Yasha
Now I'm imagining a cyborg version of the Tocante, built into one's own skull. A solar panel on the top with touchpads on each side, and an implanted transducer for bone conduction.

Your Phashi & Karper videos are great, especially when you're out in nature. The next time I go backpacking, my Tocante is definitely coming along.

I wish I could run mine off of solar power. We live in a townhouse surrounded by other townhouses & apartment buildings & tall trees. And it's Seattle. So we're lucky when we get a couple of hours of direct sunlight. I end up using a rechargeable battery pack most of the time.

I just saw that Control Voltage down in Portland has both a Thyris & Bass Thyris for sale. I might need to go on a bus trip & check them out.
Yasha
Another Tocante Bistab video. This one's shorter. Reverb using Denis Tihanov's OrilRiver. Creepy video effects from Artmatic Designer because I really didn't like how our living room looked through the eye of my MacBook Pro.
SPIKE the Percussionist
Yasha
Very cool, SPIKE!

Speaking as someone without much rhythm, and who should probably do some rhythm training, I really like how you approach noise as a percussionist.

I was about to ask you about your visuals, but it's all explained there on the YouTube page.
SPIKE the Percussionist
Yasha wrote:
Very cool, SPIKE!

Speaking as someone without much rhythm, and who should probably do some rhythm training, I really like how you approach noise as a percussionist.

I was about to ask you about your visuals, but it's all explained there on the YouTube page.

Thanks!!!
w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1