MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla DIY - basics, beginner tips, newb questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Buchla DIY - basics, beginner tips, newb questions
soundslikejoe
Hi. I've lurked this sub-forum for a while... and still don't own any Buchla stuff. I'm starting to consider DIY of the 208r Easel. I'm curious about the difficulty level and similar. Here are some basic questions... (sorry if this has been discussed to death but search is busted)

Is the entire kit through hole?

What's the difficulty of this build? I've completed several simple eurorack modules.... Turing mkii was my first, and I've completed a few other Thonk kits. I'm not what I'd consider a skilled builder, but I can solder fairly well and have a decent setup.

Aside from the scale of the build, are there any steps that are potential pitfalls?

Etc. Any tips or considerations would be greatly appreciated.
muncky
Go for it - it’s not too easy, but not crazy either. Sourcing components can be tricky, but Boops has been doing rare parts, and Weedywhizz also has bits and bobs (cases, slider caps, sliders etc).

Main thing is don’t rush it, check out Don T’s ace build guide in the DIY section, and Dave Brown’s amazing pages at modularsynthesis.com.

I’ve just finished building 12u (see Systems pics), and it’s been great fun.
auxren
It's definitely not a straightforward build in that you are dealing with the stacked tolerance of lots of parts and you might need to do some adjusting and poking around to solve problems.
Good news is that there are already a ton of resources online for people who have built the 208 and there are plenty of people willing to answer questions and help you out.

Sourcing parts can be a little crazy but not too bad.

In my opinion, the reward for completing the build is incredible.
Peake
Assuming you're not a beginner as the 208 is a deep build. I've been building for a long time and the 208 still requires unusual attention (mods are required for 1.0 or 1.2V/Octave tracking for example, and things such as oscillator pitch can end up requiring offsets even after following the BOM, etc.) Yes, Dave Brown's page is Essential. There are mods of which to be aware on both the PCB 2.0 and 2.1 versions as well as particular component pinouts etc. Builders such as Don T are gracious with their time and experience in the DIY build threads, thankfully!
soundslikejoe
Peake wrote:
Assuming you're not a beginner as the 208 is a deep build. I've been building for a long time and the 208 still requires unusual attention (mods are required for 1.0 or 1.2V/Octave tracking for example, and things such as oscillator pitch can end up requiring offsets even after following the BOM, etc.) Yes, Dave Brown's page is Essential. There are mods of which to be aware on both the PCB 2.0 and 2.1 versions as well as particular component pinouts etc. Builders such as Don T are gracious with their time and experience in the DIY build threads, thankfully!

Key info. I wondered if mods were still required for v2+ boards. I have seen Build-Out blog that show wire and cut traces.... made me wonder.

To your other point... I'm afraid I would classify myself as "beginner" --- as in I can solder but not really troubleshoot and test skillfully.
APETECHNOLOGY
i highly recommend purchasing a rare parts kit from Boops,
the hardest part of the build for me was sourcing the correct parts.
the 208 v2 "the bare fiberglass one" was my first buchla build.
in building it i learned that there are counterfeit transistors and ic's out there.
those creepy little things can ruin your day.
yes the kit is through hole. and if you just look at each card as a build in itself you will see that its not that hard of a project.
go for it!

Mr. Green
soundslikejoe
APETECHNOLOGY wrote:
yes the kit is through hole. and if you just look at each card as a build in itself you will see that its not that hard of a project.
go for it!

Mr. Green

And... yet... there is still a shred of hope. I feel pretty good at TH Kits generally, and looking at the PCBs didn't seem too challenging.
But sourcing parts... oy.

Good info. Thx and keep dropping knowledge.
thumbs up
Peake
soundslikejoe wrote:
Peake wrote:

Key info. I wondered if mods were still required for v2+ boards. I have seen Build-Out blog that show wire and cut traces.... made me wonder.

To your other point... I'm afraid I would classify myself as "beginner" --- as in I can solder but not really troubleshoot and test skillfully.

Dave Brown's page is essential regarding the mods required for both PCB sets as well as for calibration. Take each card and print out the BOM, mark off each component as you stuff it, compare visually to the finished cards on Dave's page (the latter being Dave's recommendation and I strongly second it). Finish the motherboard first and power up with the first four cards installed to test for their functionality. (Don T found to add bypass caps to all of the CMOS ICs on card 1). Then add cards...Boops recommends this technique. It's important to be able to zero in on any issues through knowing which cards contain which sets of circuitry. Builders in the MW DIY forum will help.
gruvsyco
I’ll add that jmls are working on a new 208 that is close to production. No rare parts required. I think their build also uses the LED sliders like the TTSH has.

That being said, I’m currently ordering parts for for a Roman Easel.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1