MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

EMS aks with system 100m sequencer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author EMS aks with system 100m sequencer
Synthex
I have some dubts with this, first of all i would like to connect my ks to the trigger from a tr808 or a sync from it but Robin said me that the modification could be not so perfect in timing and i would have to make some holes in the ks.
Does anyone did it and how does it work?

Than i am looking at the kenton cable :
http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/leads/ems.shtml
with this i could drive the ems via midi with pro solo, but could i drive the ems sound from the sequencer of a roland system100m? i mean the voltages would be correct?( kenton said it can work but they can't guarantee).Anyone tested this connection?

And the last question is, what is the difference from this cable than to enter directly in the "high level signal in" in the upper front panel?I mean are those a cv - gate in?

Thank you
papz
To enter CV via the "high level" inputs, a 100k resistor in series is needed to avoid overloading the input amps. The panel jack inputs and the "keyboard" Jones socket are in parallel. This resistor is included in the Kenton lead.
It can be easily added in a jack cable.
In both cases, the signal is available on the lines 8 or 9 of the matrix and can be scaled with the "input level" pots.

The Kenton lead also gives a gate input, which is not available as a panel jack socket from the factory, but can be added as well, I use to do it using a "control output" jack socket.

A gate or trigger signal from +4.5V fires the envelope, so it should work with your 100M.
A gate to trigger converter might be useful, I offer this one http://www.portabellabz.be/kits.html#gate

When I asked him details about the KS clock input and step time mod a few years ago, Robin replied
Robin Wood wrote:
The main thing is it never seemed to work 100%. On an occasional KS it seemed OK but on many it would be awful.
The problem is that the first note you recorded would sometimes be doubled so you had to keep re-recording the sequence until you got a result without the repeated note. Apart from that it is also a physical challenge to fit the hardware into the KS casing, including carefully making holes in the plastic for two small slide switches, one push-button and one mini-jack socket.
I really don't want to be in a position where I am having to give you technical support for a project that I have abandoned as a lost cause.
Synthex
Ok, so i can plug and play from my system100m seuencer without other 100k resistor, perfect.

"The Kenton lead also gives a gate input, which is not available as a panel jack socket from the factory, but can be added as well, I use to do it using a "control output" jack socket. "
This is not clear, seems that the kenton cable gives directly the gate without connecting other things directly via the Jones socket, isn't it?
Would you explain better?

"A gate or trigger signal from +4.5V fires the envelope, so it should work with your 100M."
So the system 100m how many volts transmit?

"A gate to trigger converter might be useful, I offer this one http://www.portabellabz.be/kits.html#gate"
Is not clear how could i use this.

Sorry Papz for my English..
papz
Yes the Kenton cable uses the gate input available on the Jones socket and is "plug and play".
An unmodified Synthi has no jack input for gate.
What I meant is it is possible to add a parallel gate input on a jack socket, but this is not needed if you use the Kenton cable.

I don't know what gate voltage the 100M uses but it is probably higher than +4.5V.

My gate to trigger converter is very straightforward to use.
When the knob is pushed, the Synthi's gate input works normaly : the "on" time depends on the signal length, the envelope will stay "on" as long as it receives a signal, for example as long as you press a key on a keyboard. So if the gate signals come fast, the envelope will stay "on" all the time.
When the knob is pulled, any incoming signal (gate, keyboard, LFO...) is converted into a short trigger, so the "on" time depends on the panel knob setting only and is independent of the signal length, this is useful for short snappy envelopes.
It's similar to the Music Easel's envelope sustained/transient switch.
Synthex
All is clear now!
Thanks a lot!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1