MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

.com an insular lot?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author .com an insular lot?
klstay
No, i do no mean insulting... ;-)

I skulked around the yahoo group (and MOTM over there, too) for ~4 years and finally bought a used 1 cab portable system and have been growing it since.

It seems there are a lot of folks here with at least a bit of .com in the kit and most seem happy with it? In any case it also seems there are a fair number of Roger's customers who maybe visit the yahoo group on rare occasion and will always be exclusively .com in their rig.

So, is price the only reason? Aesthetic? You have to admit the brand covers pretty much all the bases in some form though in places not nearly as efficiently as others; particularly Modcan.

I have some stuff from others, but am happy with an 80% .com setup. For me I think it is mostly the pure simplicity and focus of each module that is a lot of the appeal. Some do not care for that and, as alluded to earlier, Modcan is perhaps the best 5U example of a philosophy at the other end of that spectrum.
Just me
In my 44 space system I have all Arrick except 4 modules. ( A Moon 511EVCEG, STG Signal Amplifier and Wave folder and Cynthia Quad Low Pass Gate.) I got into DotCom primarily because of price point and familiarity of the modules/function. Also, someone who's opinion I trust discussed the merits what is available and what isn't (Vintage) and showed me how dollar for dollar, the Arrick was just what I needed for what I wanted to accomplish. (Physical size was an issue, I wanted the room to get my ham fists into it to adjust the knobs.) When I add the next cabinet, it will still be mostly filled with DotCom but I do also want to add a few more other 5U builders items. (A pair of LForg/LForp's and a Grove Polymoog Resonator.)
The reason is that they are modules that aren't available from Roger or are just more compact for the same function.
Some of the other gear out there is really wonderfull, but price, availabilty or both have precluded them from my use. It doesn't matter how good it is if I have to pay 3 prices for it and wait months to get it. (Why I love the used market!)
darwingrosse
I agree largely with just me regarding the bases being covered by the Arrick mdoules and their overall functionality/space efficiency and value. I chose to restart my modular system with dotcom stuff for the following reasons:

- Performability: I do a lot of live performance, and having something that is easy to operate in a live world was important to me. 1/4" jacks are greatly preferred to 1/8" for me, since they are less likely to break (in either performance or hauling), and are easy to aim-and-shoot in the heat of the moment.

- Availability: When you order something from dotcom, you will have it in 10 days. Not two months or two years - 10 days. Once I save up enough money to get a module, I want it NOW, BABY! It also means that getting Moon modules from Noisebug is also a win, since that'll be in my house within 3 days. Works for me - but is probably an important part of the mix.

- System consistency: All the modules work as you'd expect, are powered without hassle, and they all fit nicely into the available cabinetry (something that shouldn't be discounted...). The hassle factor of adding MOTM-format modules is just a pain, so it is easy to avoid by finding dotcom format modules to fit your needs.

If anything, I find the dotcom modules sort of uninspiring - which is why I've got Moon modules (the 565 quantizer and expander, the 511 VC ADSR), one of the Megaohm dual LFO's (the best space-saver ever), and Encore UEG and I've just ordered the Grove VC LFO. These are the things that provide extended functionality in a way that isn't available from dotcom systems, and allow me to follow my experimental moods where they take me.

So there you go. I've got two portable cabs chuck full, and expect to expand endlessly for a long time to come. Over my years of modular play, I've regretted a lot of thing - but working with 5U systems (and basing the system on dotcom modules) is not one of them!
sunsinger
I've got a primarily inte-racial kit, I started with a MOTM module, then put a .dotcom system together then about 1/4 of my modules are Suit and Tie Guy, then some Modcan, and now a few MegaOhm, and an Encore or two, and many more MOTMs.

I can't see where this thread is going, about 50 % of what I see on the "Post pics of your 5U setup" thread are Mutts like mine.

The yahoo group is a group for Dot com'ers but I don't think they would kick me off for having other modules in my kit. And even though I have modules from all the above builders, I haven't yet encountered any exclusivity clauses from these guys. (They all know secretly what I'm doing) lol

But maybe adding mutts to a DotCom rig could be seen as getting caught masturbating.
kindredlost
My rig is 82 spaces of DotCom and 3 spaces (so far) of STG, and 2 spaces of Cyndustries.

The reason for so much Arrick is the price and simplicity. These are familiar synth modules from the early era of Moog, so I can relate to them easily. I don't have as much of the expansion modules (VCO Aids, Filter Aids etc) as I'd like and none of them are normalized so I have a wall of cables.

The use of other 5U module makers is undoubtedly more compact and offers the bells and whistles that Arrick lineup falls short of, but the fundamentals of modular synth gear is covered nicely for an economical and (important) available level. This is why I am ready to start collecting other manufacturer's stuff now. I have a pretty decent size modular base to start from at a very affordable rate and in only a couple years or so from start to finish.

Another thing is the level of service. I've only had one incident with a module and Roger replaced the circuit board at no charge without a question. I know most do service like this too, but the combination of quick delivery, availability, price and service is just too professional to ignore.

-EDITED-
I'd like to also say that Doepfer is the only other mass produced modular maker that falls into this category, but I just don't think the gear has much in common other than the availability and price factors. The build and sound are not alike and the form functions are entirely different.

Yeah I'm an apostle of goodwill for synthesizers.com no doubt but in my opinion if you had to start somewhere and 5U is sized right then DotCom is a no-brainer.

-David
sunsinger
Yeah... I agree with Mr. Spacely. The cost, simplicity, selection, and service of Dot Com are all great! That's why I had 20 DotCom modules before I'd built my cabinet.
drewtoothpaste
The Dotcom stuff works reliably and is inexpensive.

You can put really fancy mustard on a sandwich but it's still gotta have two pieces of bread.
synthguru
This is an interesting topic since I really do prefer Roger's analog modular synthesizer over all other analog modular synths that I have owned and played over the past three decades.
For me, the Dotcom series won me over on sound.
Plain and simple.
I've owned modular Moogs and modular ARPs and modular Rolands and several other brands, but nothing had the musical character and quality of tone I was looking for until I bought my first Dotcom system.
This is the synthesizer I have always wanted.
When I play it, it feels like it is "my voice" singing from the speakers and I can ask no more from a musical instrument than this.
The fact that is it amazingly affordable and readily available makes it even more appealing.

Zon
suitandtieguy
welcome to the forum, Zon!
Just me
'Bout time you joined up, Zon!
synthguru
LOL! Guinness ftw!

Thanks for the welcome!
I like this place. 8_)

Zon
JohnLRice
Welcome Zon! w00t
zerosum
For me it is about cost.
I have a Q106 osc, Q112 mixer, Q108 VCA, and Q115 spring reverb.
I got these to fill out my Frac system, now they expand the Frac system and a MOTM and Modcan system.
Its a good source for utility modules! w00t
VinceL
This topic comes up on the Dotcom mailing list at least once a year. Usually under the topic of Dotcom being too vanilla.

I think there is some truth to that. But, as others have pointed out, you need those vanilla modules. And, where else can you get the equivalent combination of quality, price, availability, and service?

And, Dotcom has more than just vanilla. What about the Q960 and related modules? I have seen so many modulars that are MOTM, Blacet, whatever, and yet they have 1 or 2 Q960's. Until the Moon Modular 569, I don't think there was any seqeuncer that comes close to offering as much real-time "playablility."

My system is mostly Dotcom. It is a 164 space system spread over 6 portable cabinets and 2 rack cases (each 10U high).

I dedicated a section of 2 of the Portable cabinets for MOTM. I have 5 MOTM modules with room for a few more. I've got a Zeroscillator and a couple of STG modules (definitely will be adding more).

And, yesterday I placed an order for the Moon Modular 569, 569ES, and 569EG.

So, my system is a mutt, too. They say mutts are healthier than purebreds. 8_)
drewtoothpaste
I would rather have one scoop of really high-quality vanilla ice cream than twenty thimbles of olive / pineapple / pork / lavender / earwax / falafel / alum / caraway / pear / kerosene / asparagus / bleach / musk / jalapeno / bologna / cole-slaw / avocado / gin / couscous / chocolate ice cream.
bwhittington
drewtoothpaste wrote:
I would rather have one scoop of really high-quality vanilla ice cream than twenty thimbles of olive / pineapple / pork / lavender / earwax / falafel / alum / caraway / pear / kerosene / asparagus / bleach / musk / jalapeno / bologna / cole-slaw / avocado / gin / couscous / chocolate ice cream.

Frighteningly enough, I know an ice cream shop in the Andes where the majority of those flavors are actually available.

Cheers,
Brian
dude
bleach icecream is totally my fave
suitandtieguy
dude wrote:
bleach icecream is totally my fave

that reminds me, Mark (the guy who edited and directed the Operation Mankato video) and I used to joke about trying to convince frat boys that bleach new in thing for party drinks.

"Bleach Bomb" and "Sex on the Bleach" are the two names we gave drinks.

"what are you having?"

"bleach bomb. you?"

"sex on the bleach, but i think after this one i'm going to switch to neat turpentine."
doctorvague
I'm 85-90% dotcom. I'm really happy with it. I'd have more MOTM if delivery was faster and more reliable and communication was better. I just cancelled an order last week I'd been waiting on since February with 2 broken promise delivery dates. I'd have more Modcan B but it's mostly a price issue there, but the long delivery factors in as well. Moon is nice if a little pricey by comparison but I had some problems with quality there (as have others) so have backed off a bit. Too bad since Noisebug now has them in stock. STG is good so far, just haven't ordered that much yet but will gradually be adding more of his stuff in to my system. Ditto for MegaOhm.

Arrick= sounds good, reliable, good delivery, good prices, the stuff works (and they have excellent service if it doesn't), nice cabinets and they sell everything including every accessory you could want for a complete good-looking system. Plus my friend Guido said that's what I should buy. Mr. Green

I really really like and support Roger's business ethic. He runs his business like I have run my businesses. He not only gets my business but also my utmost respect. I never mind sending them my money and I don't have to worry about any aspect of it- delivery time, communication, quality etc. They do they job.
klstay
I did not intend for this to become another "Yay Roger is great" type thread even though I do have that sentiment myself.

I just find it interesting that among those who are predominantly 5U there seem to be:

A) Quite a significant number who will always be exclusively .com (or maybe 1 or 2 STG or moon modules at most) who rarely if ever even visit the yahoo group and are possibly unaware this place even exists.

B) Folks like me who will probably always be mostly .com but have and enjoy a fair number of other modules. (I have really got it bad for some of the Mattson quad stuff and especially the VC mixer right now but am SOOOOOO broke...)

C) Folks who are mostly 5U because they prefer the size for various reasons, but only have a few .com modules and seem to tend to buy across all the other vendors for various reasons.
drewtoothpaste
Yahoo Groups is probably the worst communication medium in the history of man. I think it probably tends to attract the sort of people who enjoy using Yahoo Groups as opposed to a message board.

I have a decent amount of Modcan B but my mixers/inputs/VCAs are all .com because they work well and it seems silly to drop $3-4k to replace them all in Modcan just so the faceplates match.

A huge thing .com has that other systems don't is the wood cabinets. They are inexpensive and look great.
kindredlost
Howdy Zon!

I like your avatar. I'd follow you into the gates of hell with a Moog sticker on the bumper.
(easy guys, it's just a saying) Driving

I really enjoy "Looking Forward". When is the next CD due?

-David Ryle
Tronman
bwhittington wrote:
drewtoothpaste wrote:

Frighteningly enough, I know an ice cream shop in the Andes where the majority of those flavors are actually available.

Cheers,
Brian

Care for a little horse in your ice cream?

http://www.who-sucks.com/food/101-frightening-ice-cream-flavors-from-a round-the-world
doctorvague
klstay wrote:

A) Quite a significant number who will always be exclusively .com (or maybe 1 or 2 STG or moon modules at most) who rarely if ever even visit the yahoo group and are possibly unaware this place even exists.

Some of us just don't enjoy the vibe over there that much compared to here. Plus it gets dicey mentioning other brands besides Arrick over there.
Just me
kindredlost wrote:
Howdy Zon!

I like your avatar. I'd follow you into the gates of hell with a Moog sticker on the bumper.
(easy guys, it's just a saying) Driving

I really enjoy "Looking Forward". When is the next CD due?

-David Ryle

Continuing the pressure to re release 'Earthzone'!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3