MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SP-1200 DAC / Filter Emulation
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author SP-1200 DAC / Filter Emulation
RhythmDroid
There is something very special going on inside this machine.

http://www.beatshelter.com/?p=73

Did this guy ever come out with a usable product? I would PAY.

Any thoughts on this? Please don't say "just use a bitcrusher". Not all bitcrushers are the same and the magic involves more than that. There is something more going on. After all, the SP1200 sounds different than an MPC60.

Has anybody been able to successfully built a software emulation?
CalvaryBand
Decimort 2 sounds really good. If you run the sound thru that, then hit a nice SSM2040 filter module and quality VCA I think you're close to that type of sound.
computer controlled
TAL Sampler?
ekwipt
Maschine
Soy Sos
Seems like a deeeeeep dive to try for THAT EXACT SOUND.
Lots of options with Plouge chipcrusher.
https://www.plogue.com/products/chipcrusher/
My studio assistant and I compared and experimented with a borrowed
SP12 and got pretty damn close. Close enough for me anyway.
Give it a try, It's $39 and covers a ton of ground.
Kind of a convolution DA/AD converter.

BTW, I hung on to an original EMU SP12 for a few months
that belonged to my barber. I was trying to sell it for him and considering
trying to buy it for a sec. After playing around for a bit and getting the
the hang of the work flow, I got THAT SOUND.
The trade off of the expense and hassle of that gear
would be so not worth it for me.
RhythmDroid
Thank you everyone!!
I am going to try those out--that is exactly the kind of input I was looking for.

Rockin' Banana!
CopperHydra
CalvaryBand wrote:
Decimort 2 sounds really good. If you run the sound thru that, then hit a nice SSM2040 filter module and quality VCA I think you're close to that type of sound.

I'll put these claims to the test then.

Edit:

But take note that the Emu SP1200 has SSM2044 filters, an "Improved Moog Ladder on-a-chip" not 2040s.

The 2040 and the 2044 sound different. 2040s have this strange effect that can make an analog wave sound like a realistic instrument probably due to the gain cell which the 2044 lacks. The difference in the way waves being filtered through each chip sound is apparent when you crank the resonance up too.

If you have a Moog software plugin that allows you to route audio into the Ladder filter emulation, that plus the bitcrusher should get you closer.

One more crucial thing that's missing from all of this is an SP1200 feature that's a part of drum machine production technique: pitching samples. The way the SP1200 pitches samples sound different. It's subtle and easy to miss but most samplers pitch-shift samples differently. That SP1200 sound is used to refer to not only drums but melodic samples from vinyl as well. A common technique is:
pitch down --> filter ---> layer ---> repeat. By layer I mean play each differently pitched version of the sound simultaneously.

Hope this helps smile
sp1200
Another element you could try adding is sampling how they used to way back when there was limited sample time.

They would speed up the turntable to sample then pitch it back down with the sampler. Obviously most of the mojo is going on within the machine but it could perhaps add a few more percentage points of authenticity if you’re trying to get this sound via software.

Like already stated, TAL has an SP1200 setting or something to a similar affect.
Notron fn
Tap Sampler is essential.
NU
RhythmDroid wrote:
Did this guy ever come out with a usable product?

He was commenting on that post as recently as September. Doesn't look hopeful:

Quote:
Thanks! The project has been closed for years, so it’s not likely we will update it anytime soon. At least not for release.

Quote:
Thanks. I can’t distribute the code.

It is, unfortunately, the best model I have heard by far.

http://www.beatshelter.com/?p=73#comments
CopperHydra
sp1200 wrote:
They would speed up the turntable to sample then pitch it back down with the sampler. Obviously most of the mojo is going on within the machine

Actually, if you're sampling vinyl, most of the mojo is going on from the medium, the musicians, the instruments, the room and all the equipment used to record/mix/master that little moment in time.
v00d00ppl
As a lazy SP1200 owner who wants to audition sounds first before doing a Sunday SP1200 sampling session I use decimort 2. It's a good ballpark figure of what the main out sounds like. Decimort 2 also does a decent job of doing a studio 440 tone at one of the lower sampling frequencies and a good job on the MPC60. I use decimort for all three samplers to gauge how the loop would sound when going on any of those three samplers before recording.

I just got the mpc 2.0 software and I also like the sp1200 ring mode effect that comes with the daw because that emulates some of the outputs depending on what you're shooting for.
dynamixii
check out the TAL Audio DAC it is exactly what you are looking for.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1