FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 

live sets: The same Drum-kit through out, or mix it up?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author live sets: The same Drum-kit through out, or mix it up?
LoFi Junglist
I don't know, i feel conflicted.

When i use multiple drum kits over 15 minutes it feels like im just arranging disjointed tracks like a DJ, when i'm just using one drum kit it feels like i'm conducting a (small) band...

But it does get tiring very quickly seriously, i just don't get it

Is there some type of 'ear fatigue' that happens if you use the same (electric) drum kit for every track, or the same synth patches?

Why can I listen to jazz trio for an hour without caring it's the same sounds, but an untweaked 808 for more than 15 minutes makes me cringe?
What does the song require?

That's basically the correct answer to every production-related question This is fun!
The Grump
Change up your kits. You're playing electronic music, and part of what makes it work is the changes in timbre.

The reason a human playing a kit of drums can be satisfying for a whole set is that a human can make those drums far more expressive than any machine, thus far. They can hit them in more ways than an 808 can play its sounds. If a human drummer played a show and hit the drums with the mechanical repeatability of a machine, you'd probably get bored of their playing very quickly as well.
What are you using for drums exactly? If it's something that allows velocity based MIDI or CV to modulate non-volume parameters, you could find a lot of variety hooking that up to various things without having to fully change the sound.
When I played live, it was on a super simple setup, this allowed me a lot more time and attention to individual pieces of gear. I rarely changed drum kits, but would rather change individual instruments on the fly, as the song/performance demanded. I would also add that if your drum patterns are not static, especially across 'songs', it relieves a bit of pressure on making all the drums sounds different all the time. Was it borring? I certainly put a few people to sleep, but I would count that as the wrong type of audience or even just me still growing as a performer than my drum sounds.

Maybe a compromise you could try out is to have inbetween kits that you move to before switching to the next kit. So instead of kit #1 and kit #2 having completely different instruments, you put a kit inbetween these two the share half of the same drum sounds with each other.
I try to have at least 2 kits ready for whatever tune I'm playing. I mix and match sounds from each kit each time I play a tune so it's always slightly different.
The Grump
Mix it up, always. When I play live, I have the original parts for each piece stemmed out, and I often like to mix and match. Changing up the drum sounds are some of the tools I use for transitioning between between composed pieces, as well as jump off points for improvisation. Generally, I try to use at least two or three independent sequencers for this purpose.
get 2 drum machines and mix the sounds around of both smile
if you play for a club 8-10 different sounds are enough. don't be to hard an you. the audience only need a constant bd. i know it's sad but honestly...
if you don't play to dance 1-infinte sounds are possible. then it more crutial to be precise on your intentions. you get a away with 3 atari style tracks (bd, hh, sd/cl) easily if it fits.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1