MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Fuzz for use with eurorack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Fuzz for use with eurorack
richc90
I'm currently in the market for a fuzz pedal to pair with my eurorack system. I've done a fair bit of research and here is the current shortlist:

Smallsound/Bigsound TAFM. I already have their overdrive pedal, which I really like, and the TAFM seems a super flexible pedal that will cover alot of sonic territory. Clean blend will be useful to me.

Fairfield Circuitry Four Eyes. Really like all the Fairfield pedals, and this seems to be sonically very interesting, with the CV in option being nice. But perhaps a little bit less flexible than the TAFM?

Walrus Audio Janus. Looks extremely fun to play with, not sure how useful the tremolo will be to me and relatively pricey.

RML Electron Fuzz. Awesome looking pedal, the CV version interfaces with euro nicely. But super pricey.

Any thoughts about these pedals? Anything else I should look at?
Ptbarnum
All good choices, if your rack has room, I’d look at the fuzz factory module too...sounds great and super tweakable
smetak
Ptbarnum wrote:
All good choices, if your rack has room, I’d look at the fuzz factory module too...sounds great and super tweakable

Why not a WMD Geiger Counter? Well, not technically a fuzz per say, but getting the settings right, you can achieve some fuzzyness (and beyond) - Euro or pedal format. And there won't be a danger of accidentally frying the pedal. Not cheap, but well worth it.
richc90
Thanks for the input.

I perhaps should add that in addition to the SS/BS Overdrive pedal, I also have a Doepfer A189 bitcrusher in my euro case, so I'm looking for something to compliment those. No space left in the case, though, so has to be a pedal.
sloth713
Maybe look at the Great Destroyer eurorack module by Dwafcraft. If you don't want it in a module there is it's original pedal version too.

Edit just read your last post so ignore the module part and just look a the pedal.
Shadoweclipse13
It took me a long time to find the fizz for me, but my favorite is a Magnetic Effects White Atom. It plays well with buffers and everything else, it can do a dark thing almost like a Big Muff, or the treble-y thing like a fizz face. Also really reasonably priced!

Magnetic Effects White Atom Fuzz

Magnetic Effects White Atom Fuzz
Both sound great, but this second video (Just Nick) sounds the most accurate to what it's sounds like in person. Nick's video tend to not be overproduced, and sound very real. That said, I can get sounds like Mike's video above too.
mt3
All of them.
mateo
Unless you're re-amping, you might not get a good sound out of most fuzz pedals due to the impedance mismatch: this is why I use a zvex mastotron, which has an input impedance control.
richc90
I have an ALM SBG so shouldn't be a problem.

In any case, a Fairfield Four Eyes came up second hand locally so I'm gonna give that a try. Thanks for the input people!
mateo
richc90 wrote:
I have an ALM SBG so shouldn't be a problem.

The SBG doesn't do impedance matching though, just levels. In the end it depends on the design of the fuzz circuit: it might be fine, but it might not.
richc90
Not my area but...

ALM wrote:
BTG wrote:
Does this unit have impedance matching? Guitar pedals typically look for a very different than what a modular provides IIRC.

Yes - the send/return impedances are set up match typical pedal values.
yeatsvisitslincoln
The Four Eyes is a good choice! It has a 0-5V CV control of the filter, which I think will integrate nicely with a Euro system.
mateo
richc90 wrote:
Not my area but...

ALM wrote:
BTG wrote:
Does this unit have impedance matching? Guitar pedals typically look for a very different than what a modular provides IIRC.

Interesting, I had looked at the manual and it's not mentioned. Let us know how it works out!
Anechoic
The MXR Submachine Sub Fuzz combines tones of the La Machine Fuzz with a sub octave circuit with its own level control and a series switch so you can run the sub octave signal straight into the fuzz or alongside it

mateo wrote:
richc90 wrote:
Not my area but...

ALM wrote:
BTG wrote:

Interesting, I had looked at the manual and it's not mentioned. Let us know how it works out!

Thanks thats helpful.
Any idea about impedance matching also for
Malekko Send/Return
Bastl Hendrikson
RML GPI (Guitar Pedal Interface)
Future Aztec
You could go with one of the small fuzz pedals that BYOC sells. Maybe just order a board and build it.
tuj
another vote for the Geiger Counter, does incredibly good distortions on synths.
gentle_attack
richc90 wrote:
Smallsound/Bigsound TAFM. I already have their overdrive pedal, which I really like, and the TAFM seems a super flexible pedal that will cover alot of sonic territory. Clean blend will be useful to me.

I bought an etched FUCK OD like 3yrs ago. Bought an etched TAFM like 2yrs ago, never got excited about it. It's kind of 'behind' the notes, which I think would work well for 'always on' especially on bass guitar, but it doesn't do ripping leads or wall of sound (rereading the description, well I should have read the description!)

The BUZZZ that came out later, unfortunately no etched versions I've seen, but I have a regular screenprinted one, has many many options and knobs and works for all kinds of stuff. Can't recommend it enough, It doesn't do any specific vintage fuzz box, but can cover all manner of ripping lead tons, and can be held in check on the self oscillation with the starve control. I've even used it on a mixer send just to add some vaguely harmonically related noise to a mix. It has both germanium and silicon clipping, SI working much better with instrument level signals.
dkcg
richc90 wrote:
Thanks for the input.

I perhaps should add that in addition to the SS/BS Overdrive pedal, I also have a Doepfer A189 bitcrusher in my euro case, so I'm looking for something to compliment those. No space left in the case, though, so has to be a pedal.

Got a wavefolder? That would complement the bitcrusher and give another way to add harmonics to the signal.
calaveras
Why not the Malekko B:Assmaster?
There is even a eurorack version.
I've got one of the plain old non germanium versions and it sounds pretty great. I love the variety of sounds it gets. From Rat box to 808 screamer, and it has a blend, so you can mix in some clean.
One day I discovered how great a Taurus or X0X sounds through it. Now I want 3 or 4 more!

I will also always recommend the Proco Rat for anything.
ExtrasensoryPerception
richc90 wrote:

RML Electron Fuzz. Awesome looking pedal, the CV version interfaces with euro nicely. But super pricey.

Any thoughts about these pedals? Anything else I should look at?

without a doubt, RML.
Muse FTW
Can't go wrong with SS/BS, but I've had some success with some Fuzzhugger fuzzes (namely Velcroar and AB-Synth) with synths.

Do you want foot-switchable freakout oscillation? A gated fuzz? Octave fuzz?
Versatility to go between OD/Dist/Fuzz? Might help narrow it down.
Summa
I use Zvex Wooly Mammoth, EHX Big Muff, Touell Skouarn Strakal Brulu and Moody Sounds Zeygot they're all different and have different uses, some sound good when in line with a delay some don't.. you can never have too many fuzzes w00t
VauxFlores
Considering that I've personally built at least a couple hundred fuzzes over the past half-decade or so, I can definitely say amen to that.

Ala pairing fuzz with synth stuff, it might be a little far off from traditional fuzz, but you can get some awesome tones out of a Noise Swash - the perfect combo of versatility, tweakability and unpredictability.

But that's just my opinion, of course.
Ghost Hip
While I ahven't tried it with modular, I really love my TAFM. It is one of the few fuzzes I have played that excels more with bass/synths/drums over guitar.
racooniac
i am thinking about getting myself an Analog Heat to Saturate and Distort my Synths buuuuut .... for its price one could get a lot of pedals .... do you think its worth it?

okay its also a stereo filter and has lfo etc. but i would buy it mainly for distortion

thoughts?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2