MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Alessandro sold his Synthi AKS...?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Alessandro sold his Synthi AKS...?
dan_p
Thats a terrible idea.....

I buy expensive synths and make pointless drivel with them, I'd be skint within 3 months!

mousegarden wrote:
It would be interesting if people had sell their gear for a price that was directly related to the quallity of their music.
mousegarden
dan_p wrote:
Thats a terrible idea.....

I buy expensive synths and make pointless drivel with them, I'd be skint within 3 months!

mousegarden wrote:
It would be interesting if people had sell their gear for a price that was directly related to the quallity of their music.

Ha!

What if you're a collector and make no music at all? That could be a bit awkward...

hihi
automat
cyberdine wrote:
Truth from MindMachine... some of these musicians are not as well off as we would think.

I would love to be a professional musician, but I don't have the courage. I'm cool with that, I'm lucky enough to work in the music industry, because I want to be a part of it. But to make music for a living? That's tough, and I think those people that manage to do it, for all of our enjoyment, they deserve respect. And sure, a reverb page where they sell at a markup. Why not.

Well said
automat
I met Alessandro two nights ago at a tiny concert (less than 100 people in the room) which was awesome. Spoke with him afterwards and he has moved from LA to Berlin, and maybe it was time to leave some things behind, whatever. People are people I generally don’t give a f.. if they are famous or not. That simply is t of essence to who they are or what they do.

My take on the Reverb shops is that it is basically a way for reverb to get noticed - excellent marketing. I am pretty sure they will approach musicians, not the other way round. reverb is a very interesting business, a mix between publisher and shop.

As for anybody complaining about the moral aspects of selling gear ‘more expensive’ because it was used by a famous musician, well, nobody forces you to buy it. Whoever pays the price that’s asked, it was obviously worth it to them. Doesn’t mean it has to be worth it for you.
nickbaba
Quote:
he has moved from LA to Berlin

Interesting... didn't know that. Hope that means we might get more gigs in London from him in future.

thumbs up
Sinamsis
It's funny that everyone here seems to respond to Nelsons comments as if he's angry or bitter. Just for stating an opinion that's contrary to the OP. I think we all can be contrarian MFs from time to time. Honestly I didn't find his posts all that contrarian, and pretty on point honestly. I passed over this thread multiple times then I saw it kept popping up and had to see what the fuss was about. When I read the title, it may as well have said Alessandro Cortini takes a shit. Ha. I agree with Nelson. This mindset is consistent with the voyeurism that seems to have become more and more popular these days with social media and reality TV. It's nothing personal when someone says I don't give a fuck about that. And some people seem pretty easily offended by the use of words like fuck or any other profanities.

Also he seemed to be expressing a disdain for the mythology behind all these vintage synths because great music was made with them. They were the tools available at the time. We have better tools available now. Some might disagree. They can spend 10k plus on a CS80 in hopes of becoming Vangelis. I'm good with my Prophet 08 (that was for you Nelson).

Back on topic, I agree this is another Reverb gimmick. I still favor Reverb over eBay for buying and selling. But their marketing department chaps my ass sometimes.
nickbaba
Quote:
When I read the title, it may as well have said Alessandro Cortini takes a shit. Ha. I agree with Nelson. This mindset is consistent with the voyeurism that seems to have become more and more popular these days with social media and reality TV.

I respectfully have to disagree. I don't see what my question has to do with voyeurism or reality TV...?

I see what you're getting at, but I wasn't asking about the contents of Alessandro's browser history. Or his personal life or relationships.

Alessandro posted a public ad on a public website. He has also just publicly released an album of music made on a Synthi. As a performer he invites public interest. What part of asking a question related to that crosses the line into social media over-sharing or voyeurism?

As I have made clear up-thread, I'm a fan of his music. (Many here are not, but so what?) As a fan and a fellow musician I was curious why he would a sell a synth he had just made an album with. The very simple answer was that he had more than one. End of thread.
If he had posted his original Buchla Easel for sale, after making those Forse albums, I would have been curious about that too. It seems entirely natural to be interested in an artist whose music you enjoy. I'm interested to hear he's moved to Berlin, though that's none of my business either. Artists rely on interest from the public to attend their gigs and buy their music. There is a whole sub-forum right here dedicated to artist discussion and interest. Maybe I should have posted this question in the Artist thread, not the EMS gear thread? Fair enough.

Perhaps you are right and it is none of my business to even ask or be curious? Perhaps I should never ask anything about anyone I don't know or have never met? Perhaps I should never try and learn anything about anything ever because hey, its none of my business?

I'm really surprised that my simple question seems to have touched a nerve with some people here.
ersatzplanet
Maybe all he is thinking is "I can get 2 or three Easels for that much money."
Nelson Baboon
am I missing something, or is/was that reverb.com ciat lombarde plumbutter just about double the new price? Damn, do you know where I can buy some banana cables that he's sucked on?
pelican
My thing is who cared if a celeb touched or owned your gear. It's still the exact same item you get from a nonceleb. It's not like some of their talent passes on to you with the gear lol. It's a joke
Sinamsis
nickbaba
I'm not giving you a hard time. And I can see where you're coming from. But you should see the flip side of the coin. And I wouldn't say it touched a nerve either. Because I'm pretty sure the same people who said they don't GAF what Cortini does with his gear would say they don't GAF about these sorts of discussions either. I don't think any of the people who have spoken up feel particularly upset or irate or even remotely emotional over this. I think the whole point was to offer an opposing point of view. Not to say you're a piece of shit for thinking that, or saying it, or whatever.
Sinamsis
Nelson Baboon wrote:
am I missing something, or is/was that reverb.com ciat lombarde plumbutter just about double the new price? Damn, do you know where I can buy some banana cables that he's sucked on?

Ha, it's the same for all the "celebrity" Reverb shops. I gagged a few times flipping through the J Mascis shop last night.
dubonaire
Sinamsis wrote:
It's funny that everyone here seems to respond to Nelsons comments as if he's angry or bitter. Just for stating an opinion that's contrary to the OP. I think we all can be contrarian MFs from time to time. Honestly I didn't find his posts all that contrarian, and pretty on point honestly. I passed over this thread multiple times then I saw it kept popping up and had to see what the fuss was about. When I read the title, it may as well have said Alessandro Cortini takes a shit. Ha. I agree with Nelson. This mindset is consistent with the voyeurism that seems to have become more and more popular these days with social media and reality TV. It's nothing personal when someone says I don't give a fuck about that. And some people seem pretty easily offended by the use of words like fuck or any other profanities.

Also he seemed to be expressing a disdain for the mythology behind all these vintage synths because great music was made with them. They were the tools available at the time. We have better tools available now. Some might disagree. They can spend 10k plus on a CS80 in hopes of becoming Vangelis. I'm good with my Prophet 08 (that was for you Nelson).

Back on topic, I agree this is another Reverb gimmick. I still favor Reverb over eBay for buying and selling. But their marketing department chaps my ass sometimes.

I agree, and as I said before also agree with NB.

For what it's worth, there is somewhere on youtube someone doing On The Run on a $500 DSI Desktop Evolver which sounds great. On The Run is not an amazing tune because it was made on a Synthi it is an amazing tune because it was created by someone experiencing a lifetime creative peak, although made all the more special by the fact that he was recording it at a world class studio going through hand made analogue desks with the best engineers in the world at that time who were also producing the Beatles. Nontheless it's a simple arpeggio with perfectly structured subtractive filtering.

You might be able to afford a 40 year old $10k mono synth but that won't make you a better musician.

What makes these people great is having an artistic direction and devoting all their time to getting it right. People lust after Boards of Canada synths, but what made BOC albums so amazing is the time they spent on them. I can't remember the exact timeframe, but when they made Geodaddi they say they worked 20 hours a day for something around a year.
MindMachine
I like that Reverb does a lot of historical articles about various genres, bands, songs, etc.

Now this is a stretch: https://reverb.com/item/6549268-roland-system-100-synthesizer?

Should we vent our ire or just mumble 'fuck you'? What's the difference? Who cares? These things are for collectors apparently. I mainly just buy Euro now.

I do own equipment formerly owned by Nelson Baboon and I will never sell it.
dubonaire
MindMachine wrote:
I like that Reverb does a lot of historical articles about various genres, bands, songs, etc.

Now this is a stretch: https://reverb.com/item/6549268-roland-system-100-synthesizer?

Should we vent our ire or just mumble 'fuck you'? What's the difference? Who cares? These things are for collectors apparently. I mainly just buy Euro now.

Well I don't really feel I have ire to vent. Mainly because of Sinamsis's observation that there are more competent synths now, and I don't really want the hassle of maintaining an old piece of electronics. In my case I don't live in a country where these things are for sale or could be repaired anyway.

It's ironic that the System 100 demo is drenched in reverb is it not? Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat.
egg
he doesnt sell his buchla because buchla is much more rare than synthi aks

I read from his interwiew that he was after buchla for long time this is why he does not sell his buchla , it is all about rarity but if he finds another buchla ı am sure that he will sell his buchla to those fools who are willing to pay at least two times more

think about it he sold aks for 16.000 usd then he can buy again over 5000-8000 usd
you can be sure that he has many connections he can buy stuff cheaper than we buy
dont be fool
dubonaire
egg wrote:

I read from his interwiew that he was after buchla for long time this is why he does not sell his buchla , it is all about rarity but if he finds another buchla ı am sure that he will sell his buchla to those fools who are willing to pay at least two times more

think about it he sold aks for 16.000 usd then he can buy again over 5000-8000 usd
you can be sure that he has many connections he can buy stuff cheaper than we buy
dont be fool

OK. I'll try not to be a fool. Thanks for telling us what you read and explaining how buying and selling works.
Sinamsis
I pity the fool
egg wrote:

dont be fool

I'd hate to break it to you, $5000-8000 is living a dream. He paid quite a bit more for it(I would know)...

The price is high, but synthis reguarly go for that price, especially serviced. This is a very rare version that has mk1 boards with a mk2 face.

He did not pay a cheap amount for it, and he got it serviced more after he purchased it.

He made a profit, and me being the guy who he made a profit off, maybe I should feel more slighted, but I don't. This is the capitalist world we live in. The only slight i feel...is that we agreed that any record he used it on he'd send me a copy...and I don't have one! I love his work. Dead Banana
mousegarden
Sinamsis wrote:
I pity the fool

Fools rush in...
the bad producer
Is it a nearly-sat-on Milton? That must be worth a few dollars now!

MindMachine wrote:

nickbaba
Heheh its pretty funny to see this thread still going...

There's an AKS on the Vemia auction this week, starting price 8k (GBP)... no bids yet... be interesting to see what it goes for... (nothing to do with me or AC either btw lol )

http://www.spheremusic.com/Bargaindtl.asp?Item=17699
dan_p
lolspew

the bad producer wrote:

MindMachine wrote:

MindMachine
the bad producer wrote:

MindMachine wrote:

I wish!!! Poor Milton. 'And did those cheeks, in ancient time...'.
nickbaba
The Vemia AKS went for 8.9k GBP... that's about 11.7k USD according to Google... and no magic fairydust sprinkled by Alessandro... hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 3 of 4