MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Alessandro sold his Synthi AKS...?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Alessandro sold his Synthi AKS...?
nickbaba
Just saw over on Reverb.com that a couple of months back Alessandro Cortini sold an AKS he used on the Avanti album...

https://reverb.com/item/6350452-synthi-aks-suitcase-synthesizer-owned- by-alessandro-cortini

I was kind of surprised to hear that, does anyone who knows him know what's the story there?

Does he own, like, a few of them? Or maybe just moving on after Avanti?

Seems strange to me that you would sell an instrument you had just made an incredible album with... I mean, I know he has a big synth collection, but still... he never thought he might need it again or what?

and I don't imagine he's short of a buck or two...?

Is Alessandro giving up on the Synthi? No, say it ain't so!

Or just selling one of his 'spare' ones?
musicalfungus
nickbaba

I saw that too... and was wondering why he sold it too haha. I feel like in an old Sonic State video I saw he had multiple Synthis.... but I think one was a VCS3 and the other was the Synthis AKS.

I know I would never sell it if i had one. But that's just me.
gruvsyco
Quote:
Cortini’s moving studios in the near future, so he teamed up with us to create the Official Alessandro Cortini Reverb Shop, which launches on Tuesday at 10 AM.

"It’s hard to part with a lot of these pieces," Cortini told us. "But times call for a more compact studio setup. I have truly enjoyed each and every piece, but at this point, my hope is to find the right home for such an interesting, quirky family of creations."

https://reverb.com/news/alessandro-cortini-of-nin-to-launch-new-reverb -shop
Nelson Baboon
why are people so obsessed with the decisions of somewhat famous people?

who the fucking hell cares what he does with his instruments? I don't.

he's one of these people who buys/sells tons and tons of stuff. Now he has his own reverb page where he jacks up the price because he's famous. Fuck him.
construct09
He was looking for a Mk 1, maybe he found one(?)
tobb
Nelson Baboon wrote:

he's one of these people who buys/sells tons and tons of stuff. Now he has his own reverb page where he jacks up the price because he's famous. Fuck him.

Yep,if he is keep buying but selling back for high prices its just another vintage synth dealer in the works.

So be careful to sell any gear to this guy,he will try to get deals and trap you using his name,so you sell cheap.
nickbaba
Jeezis. Wtf happened there?

I'm a fan of his music, and therefore interested.

He's (somewhat) famous, and has a bunch of synths to sell.

What's the big deal? I don't see why either of those things should make anyone unhappy.
chamomileshark
I don't know what happened either. Artistic or gear envy maybe? Obviously enough to stir people up to post.

Anyway I also wondered. As I'd wonder if one of our members who was really into using a Synthi, Buchla, Serge or Wiard suddenly sold their's.
dubonaire
Nelson Baboon wrote:
why are people so obsessed with the decisions of somewhat famous people?

who the fucking hell cares what he does with his instruments? I don't.

I'm totally with you on this.
nickbaba
Unexpectedly controversial
(hides)

No wonder the guy doesn't post on here anymore...

Dead Banana
LoFi Junglist
nickbaba wrote:
No wonder the guy doesn't post on here anymore...

Wasn't his final thread in the BST? hihi
lumin
why does this matter to anyone? has dude somehow sold out according to the angry ones?
put some music out, get some acclaim, and you can do the same shit with your equipment. its a beautiful thing.
nickbaba
There's a Synthi A up for auction on the VEMIA site right now. It's an early one (1971) owned by EMI/KPM and was used at Abbey Road on sessions. For 24 hours it was posted that due to its EMI provenance it may have been the EMS synth used by Pink Floyd on DSOTM... during that time the starting bid price jumped from £9000 to £20,000. After it was discovered that, no, it wasn't that one after all the price went back down to £9000 again.
Think David Gilmour's old guitar is worth the same to a fan or collector as my old guitar? Maybe it should be, but of course it isn't.

Personally, if I had that kind of money to spend, I'd be thrilled to own the actual synth that AC used on Avanti. It's an incredible album. But that's just me. Or rather, me and at least one other person out there, because someone bought it.
Ymmv.
hydrophilos
I sold my synthi AKS in 1976 for $800 (bought it for $1000) so I could buy a serge prototype...never looked back
pelican
What's the big deal? Can't say I give a crap if he used a synth or not, sure wouldn't pay a premium for anyone using a synth. He probably has a lot of synthi aks.
mrbloor
Alessandro buys kit, learns kit, records album, sells kit. He seems very focussed, the only kit that seems to stick is the Buchla systems. It has nothing to do with money or gear, just personal choice and it seems a sensible attitude to work.
ersatzplanet
hydrophilos wrote:
I sold my synthi AKS in 1976 for $800 (bought it for $1000) so I could buy a serge prototype...never looked back

I bought my first synth in 1975, a used VCS3 for $500 and then bought 2 synthi AKSs for around the same prices not much later. Sold/traded them all a decade or so later for not much more. I moved to melodic music and got a 4-voice and a couple of Pro-Ones. I had to sell old stuff to get new stuff and I imagine He isn't wealthy enough to not have to do the same. A used AKS with provenance is worth a lot of other gear...
nickbaba
The "Alessandro has a bunch of AKS" thing I can understand.

The "Alessandro buys a synth, records with it then sells it" I find harder to get my head round.

OK, if he doesn't have much money and is forced to do that, I get it. But I don't really believe it. Dude's in NIN and has like $250,000 of Buchla in his studio. (OK maybe that's why he's broke hihi )

I'm not saying he doesn't do that, I'm just saying I can't personally get my head round it. There are a bunch of things I would sell before I would sell a synth I loved. I can barely even sell a eurorack module without regretting it.

But that's just me - I guess I do have a tendency to hoard... I respect people who can treat these things as tools and not be attached to them... but I personally find it hard to do that.
I guess that's why I was surprised to see AC selling this synth up at the top of the thread.
mgscheue
I asked when that popped up. He said he had two.
MindMachine
nickbaba wrote:
There's a Synthi A up for auction on the VEMIA site right now. It's an early one (1971) owned by EMI/KPM and was used at Abbey Road on sessions. For 24 hours it was posted that due to its EMI provenance it may have been the EMS synth used by Pink Floyd on DSOTM... during that time the starting bid price jumped from £9000 to £20,000. After it was discovered that, no, it wasn't that one after all the price went back down to £9000 again.
Think David Gilmour's old guitar is worth the same to a fan or collector as my old guitar? Maybe it should be, but of course it isn't.

Personally, if I had that kind of money to spend, I'd be thrilled to own the actual synth that AC used on Avanti. It's an incredible album. But that's just me. Or rather, me and at least one other person out there, because someone bought it.
Ymmv.

Floyd used two or three AKS/A's on those sessions along with at least one VCS3. It is on the Live at Pompei video. They had KS and DK-1 or 2 hooked up t a few.

Some of these musicians are not as well off as we would think. There have been many a musician who have created Reverb pages whom I respect and others who I quietly chuckle at. Some may do it for an ego stroke, but I doubt that they could flip new merch for much. Likewise they likely only sell crap they don't care much about. I think some of the older sellers, like I think Nils Lofgren was on there, may need to dough for whatever. Who knows. The internet is a more viable resource for them than an auction, like in 1980.

I am waiting for the Kanye/Kim Kardashian Strat to sell. Imagine how it smells and feels. It could be yours.
cyberdine
Truth from MindMachine... some of these musicians are not as well off as we would think.

Being a well-respected musician, in any genre, but especially a niche genre, is not necessarily a profitable place to be.

To make a living making music is hard, hard, hard, and the reality is that the money doesn't always flow free. There's no 9-5, sure, maybe your ASCAP royalties pay the bills, but probably not. If people will pay a premium for your old gear, why not sell it.

I would love to be a professional musician, but I don't have the courage. I'm cool with that, I'm lucky enough to work in the music industry, because I want to be a part of it. But to make music for a living? That's tough, and I think those people that manage to do it, for all of our enjoyment, they deserve respect. And sure, a reverb page where they sell at a markup. Why not.
MATSmile
Who cares?! He sold it, maybe he got bored with it. It's none of your business anyway.
not this shit again
neandrewthal
MATSmile wrote:
Who cares?! He sold it, maybe he got bored with it. It's none of your business anyway.
not this shit again

I don't care but people are free to speculate about anything a famous person does or anything anyone does on a public website.
dan_p
I had a few PM exchanges with AC on here, a couple of them about gear sales (both ways) He was a really pleasant guy and a gentleman at all times. I think some of the statements in this thread are a little wide of the mark.
nickbaba
Well... ExxccuuuuUUUUUuuuuuuUUUUuuse me!

I shall be sure to run any future questions past the Muffs Board of Censors, oh great Overlords of Cool, before posting in future.

not this shit again
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4