MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Alessandro sold his Synthi AKS...?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Alessandro sold his Synthi AKS...?
nickbaba
Just saw over on Reverb.com that a couple of months back Alessandro Cortini sold an AKS he used on the Avanti album...

https://reverb.com/item/6350452-synthi-aks-suitcase-synthesizer-owned- by-alessandro-cortini

I was kind of surprised to hear that, does anyone who knows him know what's the story there?

Does he own, like, a few of them? Or maybe just moving on after Avanti?

Seems strange to me that you would sell an instrument you had just made an incredible album with... I mean, I know he has a big synth collection, but still... he never thought he might need it again or what?

and I don't imagine he's short of a buck or two...?

Is Alessandro giving up on the Synthi? No, say it ain't so!

Or just selling one of his 'spare' ones?
musicalfungus
nickbaba

I saw that too... and was wondering why he sold it too haha. I feel like in an old Sonic State video I saw he had multiple Synthis.... but I think one was a VCS3 and the other was the Synthis AKS.

I know I would never sell it if i had one. But that's just me.
gruvsyco
Quote:
Cortini’s moving studios in the near future, so he teamed up with us to create the Official Alessandro Cortini Reverb Shop, which launches on Tuesday at 10 AM.

"It’s hard to part with a lot of these pieces," Cortini told us. "But times call for a more compact studio setup. I have truly enjoyed each and every piece, but at this point, my hope is to find the right home for such an interesting, quirky family of creations."

https://reverb.com/news/alessandro-cortini-of-nin-to-launch-new-reverb -shop
Nelson Baboon
why are people so obsessed with the decisions of somewhat famous people?

who the fucking hell cares what he does with his instruments? I don't.

he's one of these people who buys/sells tons and tons of stuff. Now he has his own reverb page where he jacks up the price because he's famous. Fuck him.
construct09
He was looking for a Mk 1, maybe he found one(?)
tobb
Nelson Baboon wrote:

he's one of these people who buys/sells tons and tons of stuff. Now he has his own reverb page where he jacks up the price because he's famous. Fuck him.

Yep,if he is keep buying but selling back for high prices its just another vintage synth dealer in the works.

So be careful to sell any gear to this guy,he will try to get deals and trap you using his name,so you sell cheap.
nickbaba
Jeezis. Wtf happened there?

I'm a fan of his music, and therefore interested.

He's (somewhat) famous, and has a bunch of synths to sell.

What's the big deal? I don't see why either of those things should make anyone unhappy.
chamomileshark
I don't know what happened either. Artistic or gear envy maybe? Obviously enough to stir people up to post.

Anyway I also wondered. As I'd wonder if one of our members who was really into using a Synthi, Buchla, Serge or Wiard suddenly sold their's.
dubonaire
Nelson Baboon wrote:

I'm totally with you on this.
nickbaba
Unexpectedly controversial
(hides)

No wonder the guy doesn't post on here anymore...

Dead Banana
Joe.
nickbaba wrote:
No wonder the guy doesn't post on here anymore...

Wasn't his final thread in the BST? hihi
lumin
why does this matter to anyone? has dude somehow sold out according to the angry ones?
put some music out, get some acclaim, and you can do the same shit with your equipment. its a beautiful thing.
nickbaba
There's a Synthi A up for auction on the VEMIA site right now. It's an early one (1971) owned by EMI/KPM and was used at Abbey Road on sessions. For 24 hours it was posted that due to its EMI provenance it may have been the EMS synth used by Pink Floyd on DSOTM... during that time the starting bid price jumped from £9000 to £20,000. After it was discovered that, no, it wasn't that one after all the price went back down to £9000 again.
Think David Gilmour's old guitar is worth the same to a fan or collector as my old guitar? Maybe it should be, but of course it isn't.

Personally, if I had that kind of money to spend, I'd be thrilled to own the actual synth that AC used on Avanti. It's an incredible album. But that's just me. Or rather, me and at least one other person out there, because someone bought it.
Ymmv.
hydrophilos
I sold my synthi AKS in 1976 for $800 (bought it for $1000) so I could buy a serge prototype...never looked back
pelican
What's the big deal? Can't say I give a crap if he used a synth or not, sure wouldn't pay a premium for anyone using a synth. He probably has a lot of synthi aks.
mrbloor
Alessandro buys kit, learns kit, records album, sells kit. He seems very focussed, the only kit that seems to stick is the Buchla systems. It has nothing to do with money or gear, just personal choice and it seems a sensible attitude to work.
ersatzplanet
hydrophilos wrote:
I sold my synthi AKS in 1976 for $800 (bought it for $1000) so I could buy a serge prototype...never looked back

I bought my first synth in 1975, a used VCS3 for $500 and then bought 2 synthi AKSs for around the same prices not much later. Sold/traded them all a decade or so later for not much more. I moved to melodic music and got a 4-voice and a couple of Pro-Ones. I had to sell old stuff to get new stuff and I imagine He isn't wealthy enough to not have to do the same. A used AKS with provenance is worth a lot of other gear...
nickbaba
The "Alessandro has a bunch of AKS" thing I can understand.

The "Alessandro buys a synth, records with it then sells it" I find harder to get my head round.

OK, if he doesn't have much money and is forced to do that, I get it. But I don't really believe it. Dude's in NIN and has like $250,000 of Buchla in his studio. (OK maybe that's why he's broke hihi )

I'm not saying he doesn't do that, I'm just saying I can't personally get my head round it. There are a bunch of things I would sell before I would sell a synth I loved. I can barely even sell a eurorack module without regretting it.

But that's just me - I guess I do have a tendency to hoard... I respect people who can treat these things as tools and not be attached to them... but I personally find it hard to do that.
I guess that's why I was surprised to see AC selling this synth up at the top of the thread.
mgscheue
I asked when that popped up. He said he had two.
MindMachine
nickbaba wrote:
There's a Synthi A up for auction on the VEMIA site right now. It's an early one (1971) owned by EMI/KPM and was used at Abbey Road on sessions. For 24 hours it was posted that due to its EMI provenance it may have been the EMS synth used by Pink Floyd on DSOTM... during that time the starting bid price jumped from £9000 to £20,000. After it was discovered that, no, it wasn't that one after all the price went back down to £9000 again.
Think David Gilmour's old guitar is worth the same to a fan or collector as my old guitar? Maybe it should be, but of course it isn't.

Personally, if I had that kind of money to spend, I'd be thrilled to own the actual synth that AC used on Avanti. It's an incredible album. But that's just me. Or rather, me and at least one other person out there, because someone bought it.
Ymmv.

Floyd used two or three AKS/A's on those sessions along with at least one VCS3. It is on the Live at Pompei video. They had KS and DK-1 or 2 hooked up t a few.

Some of these musicians are not as well off as we would think. There have been many a musician who have created Reverb pages whom I respect and others who I quietly chuckle at. Some may do it for an ego stroke, but I doubt that they could flip new merch for much. Likewise they likely only sell crap they don't care much about. I think some of the older sellers, like I think Nils Lofgren was on there, may need to dough for whatever. Who knows. The internet is a more viable resource for them than an auction, like in 1980.

I am waiting for the Kanye/Kim Kardashian Strat to sell. Imagine how it smells and feels. It could be yours.
cyberdine
Truth from MindMachine... some of these musicians are not as well off as we would think.

Being a well-respected musician, in any genre, but especially a niche genre, is not necessarily a profitable place to be.

To make a living making music is hard, hard, hard, and the reality is that the money doesn't always flow free. There's no 9-5, sure, maybe your ASCAP royalties pay the bills, but probably not. If people will pay a premium for your old gear, why not sell it.

I would love to be a professional musician, but I don't have the courage. I'm cool with that, I'm lucky enough to work in the music industry, because I want to be a part of it. But to make music for a living? That's tough, and I think those people that manage to do it, for all of our enjoyment, they deserve respect. And sure, a reverb page where they sell at a markup. Why not.
MATSmile
Who cares?! He sold it, maybe he got bored with it. It's none of your business anyway.
not this shit again
neandrewthal
MATSmile wrote:
Who cares?! He sold it, maybe he got bored with it. It's none of your business anyway.
not this shit again

I don't care but people are free to speculate about anything a famous person does or anything anyone does on a public website.
dan_p
I had a few PM exchanges with AC on here, a couple of them about gear sales (both ways) He was a really pleasant guy and a gentleman at all times. I think some of the statements in this thread are a little wide of the mark.
nickbaba
Well... ExxccuuuuUUUUUuuuuuuUUUUuuse me!

I shall be sure to run any future questions past the Muffs Board of Censors, oh great Overlords of Cool, before posting in future.

not this shit again
nickbaba
Quote:
I asked when that popped up. He said he had two.

Thank you for answering my question.
Minimoog56
That is Reverb's Shtick. They solicit rock musicians and stars mostly of the independent variety to unload their unused gear, probably help them with the webpage and pricing and do a write up and heavily publicize the sale. They get 3.5% cut of the proceeds and the stuff sells at top of the market pricing because of the hype/mojo of the artist association. It's old fashion capitalism at work. Can't blame Alessandro, Wilco and the others if they want to take advantage of their modest celebrity to dump post tour/recording project gear at a better price so they can stock up for the next round. I feel lucky to have met Alessandro at Muffs related events to discuss life, gear and music. He is a sweet wonderful man and probably not a millionaire despite the endless grinding world touring as a sideman with a famous band. I doubt all the wonderful vinyl that Important Records puts out is making this creative artist rich. Cut some slack. Show some respect for a successful alum of this fine discussion group.
mgscheue
nickbaba wrote:

Thank you for answering my question.

You’re welcome!
mousegarden
If I had the resources of someone like Mr Cortini I couldn't even be bothered to sell my stuff, I'd get some flunky to do it anonymously for me.
I can't think of a reason why I'd want to emphasise its heritage, other than to raise the price.
Bottom line is that there's always a reason why these big sales happen, maybe he is short of cash, it happens, no matter who you are. If money really was no object I wouldn't sell anything, I'd just store it until I fancied using it again.
askthedust
mousegarden wrote:
If I had the resources of someone like Mr Cortini I couldn't even be bothered to sell my stuff, I'd get some flunky to do it anonymously for me.
I can't think of a reason why I'd want to emphasise its heritage, other than to raise the price.
Bottom line is that there's always a reason why these big sales happen, maybe he is short of cash, it happens, no matter who you are. If money really was no object I wouldn't sell anything, I'd just store it until I fancied using it again.

Not a problem for me that his name inflates the prices. It's more complicated than ever to live correctly off your art today, because there are not many areas left where you can generate value that people cannot get for free. If you can leverage your name to make a few extra bucks selling gear, go ahead. Because ultimately if people buy them at that price, it's what they're worth.
mousegarden
askthedust wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

Not a problem for me that his name inflates the prices. It's more complicated than ever to live correctly off your art today, because there are not many areas left where you can generate value that people cannot get for free. If you can leverage your name to make a few extra bucks selling gear, go ahead. Because ultimately if people buy them at that price, it's what they're worth.

Yes, I'm not averse to paying a bit for something, or my music, if the artist gets the money, after all it may be the difference between being able to record stuff or not.
bwhittington
mousegarden wrote:

Sorry, maybe we sat through different economics classes. You think an indie musician is rich? I bet he's doing pretty well, and I bet his talent and hard work has landed him some neat opportunities you and I might not have, but you seem to imagine someone handing the guy his patch cables on a silver platter.

I'm not going to fault anyone for selling their gear for what the market will bear, even if its more than I might be willing to pay.
mousegarden
bwhittington wrote:
you seem to imagine someone handing the guy his patch cables on a silver platter.

But, of course......I wouldn't expect anything less, now where's Jeeves?

cool
nickbaba
I think the general consensus seems to be, if he can do it then good luck to him.

It's not as if the 'added value' of his name comes for free, its a by-product of his work and talent that has led to his name being recognized in the first place. In that sense he's earned it.
And it's not like he's even squeezing it that hard. He sold that AKS for about 12.5k (GBP)... I saw one go for the exact same price on RL Music in the UK earlier this year, with no provenance or famous name attached.

My original query wasn't even about that... I was curious, both as a fan of his music and as a musician, why he might be selling a unique synth he obviously loves and uses, thinking it may have been his only one. Turns out he has a couple, and he's selling his 'spare'.
Nelson Baboon
askthedust wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

just sitting down with my morning caffeine, and well, I confess that I'm getting annoyed with this cliche that if something sells for an inflated price, that's what it's worth.

For one thing, you are simply defining something's worth by what it sells for. That's ok, but you fail to realize that there are actually other uses of the notion of what something is worth. Obviously when someone says that some synth isn't worth X, he/she doesn't mean that it didn't sell for that. What's meant is that for its functionality, or compared to other similar instruments, or given what it sold for just recently, or that this price only works for rich collectors, etc means that a musician (in this case) would basically be screwing themselves by buying it. I think that people know what is meant by someone saying that an instrument is not worth the price that someone paid for it. It's an accepted use of the term.
mousegarden
Trouble is, there are enough people out there to buy stuff at inflated prices, and a lot of them aern't musicians, just rich collectors.
But who am I to tell them that it's in any way wrong? Deep down, I may not agree with it, and think these things should be being used in creative ways, but that's life, people collect cars and never drive them, etc etc. If they want to pay silly prices fine, prices get inflated and us mere mortals can't afford them, well, there's nothing we can do about that, it applies to a lot of things.
egg
Cortini is not special artist he is famous because he has good vintage gear
I first realized him while ı was seraching buchla videos on youtube I cant understand what makes his gear so special he is not vince clark or jean michela jarre

I always buy my vintange gear cheap and sell them two or thee times more what I paid I made good money thanks to stupid rich people
Steelshank
dan_p wrote:
I had a few PM exchanges with AC on here, a couple of them about gear sales (both ways) He was a really pleasant guy and a gentleman at all times. I think some of the statements in this thread are a little wide of the mark.

I'd have to agree with this ^. Alessandro was super easy to deal with. I bought 2 things from him via Muff's. His prices were well below what the gear was worth and he held both pieces for me until I was able to come up with the money (for what would be an annoyingly long time for most sellers).

I'm pretty sure he states that if his gear isn't getting used for a fair amount of time, he moves it on.....

Just my 2 cents. Lots of angry people on the internet. seriously, i just don't get it
chamomileshark
egg wrote:

I always buy my vintange gear cheap and sell them two or thee times more what I paid I made good money thanks to stupid rich people

I look forward to seeing your posts on BST
Nelson Baboon
Steelshank wrote:
dan_p wrote:

I'd have to agree with this ^. Alessandro was super easy to deal with. I bought 2 things from him via Muff's. His prices were well below what the gear was worth and he held both pieces for me until I was able to come up with the money (for what would be an annoyingly long time for most sellers).

I'm pretty sure he states that if his gear isn't getting used for a fair amount of time, he moves it on.....

Just my 2 cents. Lots of angry people on the internet. seriously, i just don't get it

I can't recall anyone complaining about personal interactions with him here on b/s/t. I got my rozzbox at an excellent price from him, for instance. I do find people's fascination with famous people to be pretty damn annoying, but that's not a condemnation of him. I did comment negatively on the Reverb site, well, because I saw some pretty outrageous prices on it.

so, maybe you should try a little bit harder to actually understand what people are actually writing, rather than to lump everyone in with this amorphous angry mod....
Steelshank
^ Forgive me if I misconstrued your "fuck him" comment as "angry". d'oh!
nickbaba
Quote:

I first realized him while ı was seraching buchla videos on youtube I cant understand what makes his gear so special he is not vince clark or jean michela jarre

Pretty ballsy for a 9th post there, big guy.

I guess we'll be seeing a lot more of Alessandro's gear for sale on Reverb now you've put him in his place. thumbs up
Nelson Baboon
Steelshank wrote:
^ Forgive me if I misconstrued your "fuck him" comment as "angry". d'oh!

you're forgiven. There are different uses of that phrase. I'm fine with using it about his Reverb page, and against people who sell stuff at inflated values in general. But i think that it's a somewhat common phrase, and to dismiss anyone who uses it as just another "angry person on the internet" is pretty silly. Perhaps an example of a more angry use of such an expletive (please note that I am emphatically NOT saying this): If I were to say, in response to what you're saying, "fuck you!". But I'm not. I just think that what you're saying is rather silly. I'm trying to clarify. I think that maybe "eat some mediocre pizza" would be more appropriate.
pelican
nickbaba wrote:
Quote:

Pretty ballsy for a 9th post there, big guy.

I guess we'll be seeing a lot more of Alessandro's gear for sale on Reverb now you've put him in his place. thumbs up

Everyone has their own opinion. His music does nothing for me either, but I can appreciate that he does his own thing and some people do like it.
That was my old Synthi AKS! I was a bit perturbed when I saw how high he posted it after the fact.

When talking to him before I remember him telling me he has two AKS I believe. This one was to be used for live or something like that.

I always tried to give him better deals than others since I liked his music. I still think he's a nice guy, and when things are this expensive, lets be more realistic, it is a business. And if he can make more money because of a fanboy, why shouldn't he?
mousegarden
In the future people will be queuing up for, and paying hyperventilated prices for my gear, so get it now, while I'm only vaguely famouse...

hihi
gruvsyco
I’m inclined to believe the pricing is being set by reverb in these artist stores. Like “you give us the shit you wanna sell and we’ll handle it.” Tony Levin store went live and it’s kinda crazy too. But seems like not much thought on prices.
nickbaba
Quote:
Everyone has their own opinion. His music does nothing for me either, but I can appreciate that he does his own thing and some people do like it.

Absolutely. Fair enough. It wasn't the opinion so much as the way it was expressed that inspired my snarky comment.
Eurocat
Bitter....

Nelson Baboon wrote:

mousegarden
It would be interesting if people had sell their gear for a price that was directly related to the quallity of their music.
dan_p
Thats a terrible idea.....

I buy expensive synths and make pointless drivel with them, I'd be skint within 3 months!

mousegarden wrote:
It would be interesting if people had sell their gear for a price that was directly related to the quallity of their music.
mousegarden
dan_p wrote:
Thats a terrible idea.....

I buy expensive synths and make pointless drivel with them, I'd be skint within 3 months!

mousegarden wrote:

Ha!

What if you're a collector and make no music at all? That could be a bit awkward...

hihi
automat
cyberdine wrote:
Truth from MindMachine... some of these musicians are not as well off as we would think.

I would love to be a professional musician, but I don't have the courage. I'm cool with that, I'm lucky enough to work in the music industry, because I want to be a part of it. But to make music for a living? That's tough, and I think those people that manage to do it, for all of our enjoyment, they deserve respect. And sure, a reverb page where they sell at a markup. Why not.

Well said
automat
I met Alessandro two nights ago at a tiny concert (less than 100 people in the room) which was awesome. Spoke with him afterwards and he has moved from LA to Berlin, and maybe it was time to leave some things behind, whatever. People are people I generally don’t give a f.. if they are famous or not. That simply is t of essence to who they are or what they do.

My take on the Reverb shops is that it is basically a way for reverb to get noticed - excellent marketing. I am pretty sure they will approach musicians, not the other way round. reverb is a very interesting business, a mix between publisher and shop.

As for anybody complaining about the moral aspects of selling gear ‘more expensive’ because it was used by a famous musician, well, nobody forces you to buy it. Whoever pays the price that’s asked, it was obviously worth it to them. Doesn’t mean it has to be worth it for you.
nickbaba
Quote:
he has moved from LA to Berlin

Interesting... didn't know that. Hope that means we might get more gigs in London from him in future.

thumbs up
Sinamsis
It's funny that everyone here seems to respond to Nelsons comments as if he's angry or bitter. Just for stating an opinion that's contrary to the OP. I think we all can be contrarian MFs from time to time. Honestly I didn't find his posts all that contrarian, and pretty on point honestly. I passed over this thread multiple times then I saw it kept popping up and had to see what the fuss was about. When I read the title, it may as well have said Alessandro Cortini takes a shit. Ha. I agree with Nelson. This mindset is consistent with the voyeurism that seems to have become more and more popular these days with social media and reality TV. It's nothing personal when someone says I don't give a fuck about that. And some people seem pretty easily offended by the use of words like fuck or any other profanities.

Also he seemed to be expressing a disdain for the mythology behind all these vintage synths because great music was made with them. They were the tools available at the time. We have better tools available now. Some might disagree. They can spend 10k plus on a CS80 in hopes of becoming Vangelis. I'm good with my Prophet 08 (that was for you Nelson).

Back on topic, I agree this is another Reverb gimmick. I still favor Reverb over eBay for buying and selling. But their marketing department chaps my ass sometimes.
nickbaba
Quote:
When I read the title, it may as well have said Alessandro Cortini takes a shit. Ha. I agree with Nelson. This mindset is consistent with the voyeurism that seems to have become more and more popular these days with social media and reality TV.

I respectfully have to disagree. I don't see what my question has to do with voyeurism or reality TV...?

I see what you're getting at, but I wasn't asking about the contents of Alessandro's browser history. Or his personal life or relationships.

Alessandro posted a public ad on a public website. He has also just publicly released an album of music made on a Synthi. As a performer he invites public interest. What part of asking a question related to that crosses the line into social media over-sharing or voyeurism?

As I have made clear up-thread, I'm a fan of his music. (Many here are not, but so what?) As a fan and a fellow musician I was curious why he would a sell a synth he had just made an album with. The very simple answer was that he had more than one. End of thread.
If he had posted his original Buchla Easel for sale, after making those Forse albums, I would have been curious about that too. It seems entirely natural to be interested in an artist whose music you enjoy. I'm interested to hear he's moved to Berlin, though that's none of my business either. Artists rely on interest from the public to attend their gigs and buy their music. There is a whole sub-forum right here dedicated to artist discussion and interest. Maybe I should have posted this question in the Artist thread, not the EMS gear thread? Fair enough.

Perhaps you are right and it is none of my business to even ask or be curious? Perhaps I should never ask anything about anyone I don't know or have never met? Perhaps I should never try and learn anything about anything ever because hey, its none of my business?

I'm really surprised that my simple question seems to have touched a nerve with some people here.
ersatzplanet
Maybe all he is thinking is "I can get 2 or three Easels for that much money."
Nelson Baboon
am I missing something, or is/was that reverb.com ciat lombarde plumbutter just about double the new price? Damn, do you know where I can buy some banana cables that he's sucked on?
pelican
My thing is who cared if a celeb touched or owned your gear. It's still the exact same item you get from a nonceleb. It's not like some of their talent passes on to you with the gear lol. It's a joke
Sinamsis
nickbaba
I'm not giving you a hard time. And I can see where you're coming from. But you should see the flip side of the coin. And I wouldn't say it touched a nerve either. Because I'm pretty sure the same people who said they don't GAF what Cortini does with his gear would say they don't GAF about these sorts of discussions either. I don't think any of the people who have spoken up feel particularly upset or irate or even remotely emotional over this. I think the whole point was to offer an opposing point of view. Not to say you're a piece of shit for thinking that, or saying it, or whatever.
Sinamsis
Nelson Baboon wrote:
am I missing something, or is/was that reverb.com ciat lombarde plumbutter just about double the new price? Damn, do you know where I can buy some banana cables that he's sucked on?

Ha, it's the same for all the "celebrity" Reverb shops. I gagged a few times flipping through the J Mascis shop last night.
dubonaire
Sinamsis wrote:
It's funny that everyone here seems to respond to Nelsons comments as if he's angry or bitter. Just for stating an opinion that's contrary to the OP. I think we all can be contrarian MFs from time to time. Honestly I didn't find his posts all that contrarian, and pretty on point honestly. I passed over this thread multiple times then I saw it kept popping up and had to see what the fuss was about. When I read the title, it may as well have said Alessandro Cortini takes a shit. Ha. I agree with Nelson. This mindset is consistent with the voyeurism that seems to have become more and more popular these days with social media and reality TV. It's nothing personal when someone says I don't give a fuck about that. And some people seem pretty easily offended by the use of words like fuck or any other profanities.

Also he seemed to be expressing a disdain for the mythology behind all these vintage synths because great music was made with them. They were the tools available at the time. We have better tools available now. Some might disagree. They can spend 10k plus on a CS80 in hopes of becoming Vangelis. I'm good with my Prophet 08 (that was for you Nelson).

Back on topic, I agree this is another Reverb gimmick. I still favor Reverb over eBay for buying and selling. But their marketing department chaps my ass sometimes.

I agree, and as I said before also agree with NB.

For what it's worth, there is somewhere on youtube someone doing On The Run on a $500 DSI Desktop Evolver which sounds great. On The Run is not an amazing tune because it was made on a Synthi it is an amazing tune because it was created by someone experiencing a lifetime creative peak, although made all the more special by the fact that he was recording it at a world class studio going through hand made analogue desks with the best engineers in the world at that time who were also producing the Beatles. Nontheless it's a simple arpeggio with perfectly structured subtractive filtering.

You might be able to afford a 40 year old $10k mono synth but that won't make you a better musician.

What makes these people great is having an artistic direction and devoting all their time to getting it right. People lust after Boards of Canada synths, but what made BOC albums so amazing is the time they spent on them. I can't remember the exact timeframe, but when they made Geodaddi they say they worked 20 hours a day for something around a year.
MindMachine
I like that Reverb does a lot of historical articles about various genres, bands, songs, etc.

Now this is a stretch: https://reverb.com/item/6549268-roland-system-100-synthesizer?

Should we vent our ire or just mumble 'fuck you'? What's the difference? Who cares? These things are for collectors apparently. I mainly just buy Euro now.

I do own equipment formerly owned by Nelson Baboon and I will never sell it.
dubonaire
MindMachine wrote:
I like that Reverb does a lot of historical articles about various genres, bands, songs, etc.

Now this is a stretch: https://reverb.com/item/6549268-roland-system-100-synthesizer?

Should we vent our ire or just mumble 'fuck you'? What's the difference? Who cares? These things are for collectors apparently. I mainly just buy Euro now.

Well I don't really feel I have ire to vent. Mainly because of Sinamsis's observation that there are more competent synths now, and I don't really want the hassle of maintaining an old piece of electronics. In my case I don't live in a country where these things are for sale or could be repaired anyway.

It's ironic that the System 100 demo is drenched in reverb is it not? Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat.
egg
he doesnt sell his buchla because buchla is much more rare than synthi aks

I read from his interwiew that he was after buchla for long time this is why he does not sell his buchla , it is all about rarity but if he finds another buchla ı am sure that he will sell his buchla to those fools who are willing to pay at least two times more

think about it he sold aks for 16.000 usd then he can buy again over 5000-8000 usd
you can be sure that he has many connections he can buy stuff cheaper than we buy
dont be fool
dubonaire
egg wrote:

I read from his interwiew that he was after buchla for long time this is why he does not sell his buchla , it is all about rarity but if he finds another buchla ı am sure that he will sell his buchla to those fools who are willing to pay at least two times more

think about it he sold aks for 16.000 usd then he can buy again over 5000-8000 usd
you can be sure that he has many connections he can buy stuff cheaper than we buy
dont be fool

OK. I'll try not to be a fool. Thanks for telling us what you read and explaining how buying and selling works.
Sinamsis
I pity the fool
egg wrote:

dont be fool

I'd hate to break it to you, $5000-8000 is living a dream. He paid quite a bit more for it(I would know)...

The price is high, but synthis reguarly go for that price, especially serviced. This is a very rare version that has mk1 boards with a mk2 face.

He did not pay a cheap amount for it, and he got it serviced more after he purchased it.

He made a profit, and me being the guy who he made a profit off, maybe I should feel more slighted, but I don't. This is the capitalist world we live in. The only slight i feel...is that we agreed that any record he used it on he'd send me a copy...and I don't have one! I love his work. Dead Banana
mousegarden
Sinamsis wrote:
I pity the fool

Fools rush in...
the bad producer
Is it a nearly-sat-on Milton? That must be worth a few dollars now!

MindMachine wrote:

nickbaba
Heheh its pretty funny to see this thread still going...

There's an AKS on the Vemia auction this week, starting price 8k (GBP)... no bids yet... be interesting to see what it goes for... (nothing to do with me or AC either btw lol )

http://www.spheremusic.com/Bargaindtl.asp?Item=17699
dan_p
lolspew

the bad producer wrote:

MindMachine wrote:

MindMachine
the bad producer wrote:

MindMachine wrote:

I wish!!! Poor Milton. 'And did those cheeks, in ancient time...'.
nickbaba
The Vemia AKS went for 8.9k GBP... that's about 11.7k USD according to Google... and no magic fairydust sprinkled by Alessandro... hihi
Sinamsis
I pity the fool
mousegarden
It would really make me depressed paying £8,900 for an EMS, when I paid £500 for mine back in the day. I couldn't justify that in any way at all.
nickbaba
Good luck finding one for 500 quid, mousegarden. If you find one be sure to let us know! thumbs up

btw people used to be able to buy houses in my area of London for £10,000 way back when, but I wouldn't expect to pay that today.
Hi5
Totally agree with Nelson. Who gives a shit and who are the clowns paying some of these prices on items just because of who owned them before?
mousegarden
nickbaba wrote:
Good luck finding one for 500 quid, mousegarden. If you find one be sure to let us know! thumbs up

btw people used to be able to buy houses in my area of London for £10,000 way back when, but I wouldn't expect to pay that today.

I can remember when it was all fields round here...

hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 4