MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

4ms & Matthias Puech — Tapographic Delay
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author 4ms & Matthias Puech — Tapographic Delay
mqtthiqs
Ok, here is a dedicated thread for this module; we'll be more confortable here than in the NAMM announcement thread...

So, after about two years of hard work, 4ms and myself are happy to announce that the Tapographic Delay is almost at the doors w00t We're entering the final stretch: it should be in store mid-December.

The Tapo is a unique take on the concept of multi-tap delay. It features:

• a velocity-sensitive force sensor to tap the delay configurations (tapographies)
  • up to 32 taps, each with its own delay time, amplitude, panning…
  • per-tap filter: low-pass or resonant (pingable) band-pass
  • morphing between delay configurations, with adjustable morph time
  • two different feedback paths: a Repeat toggle and a Feedback knob
  • 4 banks of 6 slots to save and recall delay configurations
  • a tapography sequencer with forward, random walk or random directions
  • synchronization to an external clock
  • a Gate output that plays the current rhythm of delays
  • a maximum delay time of 174 seconds (almost 3 minutes)
  • 16 bits/48kHz with 32 bits floating-point internal processing, 1.3ms software latency
  • mono-in, stereo-out operation

A few demo videos (more explicit & professional ones to come):

The manual should follow soon. We'll be happy to answer questions if you have some. I'd also like to thank Dan and the whole crew at 4ms, whom it's been really nice to work with!
bc3
Can't wait! Been waiting on this one since Dan told me about the concept a few years ago when I visited 4MS. w00t
tarmoog
How bright are leds going to be in the final version? Just little bit worried because 4ms PEG had like super "annoying" bright leds when I had it.

And in those videos it seems that buttons are quite clear without any coating on them.
asteraster
beautiful
richc90
Awesome work Matthias!
mqtthiqs
tarmoog wrote:
How bright are leds going to be in the final version? Just little bit worried because 4ms PEG had like super "annoying" bright leds when I had it.

And in those videos it seems that buttons are quite clear without any coating on them.

In the videos you can see a prototype with clear button caps, and luminosity is not an issue; the factory units have translucent white buttons (as shown on the picture), which diffracts the LEDs light. You can stare at them for as long as you want. Believe me I did hihi
LostForWords
I'm excited to get my hands on this.
tross
Damn, sound awesome!
tarmoog
mqtthiqs wrote:
tarmoog wrote:

In the videos you can see a prototype with clear button caps, and luminosity is not an issue; the factory units have translucent white buttons (as shown on the picture), which diffracts the LEDs light. You can stare at them for as long as you want. Believe me I did hihi

Great! Excited to get my hands on this smile
hyena
one of the most interesting modules out there at the moment! i think i'll swap one of my clouds for it! great work!!!!
peripatitis
This looks like a very interesting concept!
So having the clock in does it mean that the added taps would be quantized or the two are unrelated?
Cortega
tarmoog wrote:

+1 yes please make the Lights not so bright
Joe.
you kids get off my lawn
I hate menu systems, especially weird menu systems (there you go, that's like the only grumpy post this thread should get).

So many CV options, you should be proud dude, little to no CV is prob the biggest module killer there is, the possibilities for this look amazing w00t
lohacker
First demo sounds wonderful, congrats! w00t

I don't understand what is a tapography sequencer?
mqtthiqs
peripatitis wrote:
This looks like a very interesting concept!
So having the clock in does it mean that the added taps would be quantized or the two are unrelated?

Not quantized no. When Sync is active, the clock in determines the length of the tapography: it's like turning the Time knob until the whole tapography (the time of the longest tap) fits between two clock ticks. In sync mode, the Time knob then acts as a clock divider/multiplier for this input.
Joe.
lohacker wrote:

Its a Just a play on words (a blend).

Tap (because you tap that FSR on the faceplate) and 'topography', (the arrangement of physical features). So probably a sequencer where you 'tap' the pattern in.
lohacker
LoFi Junglist wrote:
lohacker wrote:

Its a Just a play on words (a blend).

Tap (because you tap that FSR on the faceplate) and 'topography', (the arrangement of physical features). So probably a sequencer where you 'tap' the pattern in.

Yeah, I got the play on words, so it's like a trigger sequencer based on taps?
nearly ghost
Very cool
s.l.o.w
Very interested in this!
bommelito
This looks like a must-have to me!

Especially, I like the Infinite Accumulation demo. Is it possible to remove single additions from the topography?
mqtthiqs
LoFi Junglist wrote:
you kids get off my lawn
I hate menu systems, especially weird menu systems (there you go, that's like the only grumpy post this thread should get).

Hey GrumpiJunglist hihi
Regarding menus, lemme explain a bit:
The tapo hardly has any "menu", especially not a weird one. What you see on top of the buttons are global settings, that are all exactly two button presses away: you hold the setting you wanna change, and you press its new value. For instance to select Bank B, you hold Bank and press B; to randomize velocities you hold Vel and press Rnd. That's all there is to it. All knobs have only one function and are CVable, and so is the force sensor.
mqtthiqs
(double post)
rainlet
Looks real awesome, and the Infinite Accumulation video is great. The only other thing I think I'd want in this is an open feedback loop.
mqtthiqs
lohacker wrote:

Ok, in a nutshell, waiting for the full manual:

A multi-tap delay is a delay which output is the sum of multiple points on the delay line. On the Tapographic Delay each point has a different delay time, panning, amplitude and filter setting.

A tapography is our name for an arrangement of the taps (how many taps are active, and for each one, what is its time, panning, velocity and filter setting): the name is indeed a portemanteau for a topography of taps. You put the taps on the delay line by tapping on the force sensor; that's the "pun": you tap to add taps.

You can load and save tapographies in six slots (and four banks thereof); each slot therefore contains a full delay configuration and you can morph from one configuration to another. To do so, you either manually press one of the six buttons, or you can also use the tapography sequencer: then you can automate via CV the action of transitioning to the next slot. The sequencer is the only "mode"; when enabled, tapping the sensor will not add a new tap but transition to the next slot, anw so does the Tap CV input. This feature is useful for instance when planning a live generative performance where different parts have different delay configurations.
matttech
This looks nuts woah
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 1 of 8