MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Are there any clockable delays in 5U/MU?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Are there any clockable delays in 5U/MU?
smbenn
Like the equivalent of this, ideally https://www.modulargrid.net/e/alright-devices-chronoblob

Cheers.
bwhittington
Modern 73b is the only one I know of. Amazing module, but a little hard to come by now.

ualslosar
Nothing quite like the chronoblob in 5U, although there should be...

But Free State FX as well as others can sometimes port over a eurorack module to 5U, or at least supply a panel to do so.
Eric the Red
Would this work? It will need to be built, but all Barton modules work on +- 15v

http://bartonmusicalcircuits.com/gdelay/
ear ear
That's a gate delay.
alternating.bit
^ How different is clock from gate though?? Clock signal can be easily converted to gate as well as the reverse.

Also, can't the same thing be achieved via a tap tempo delay?
Eric the Red
alternating.bit - I have no idea. My Modular knowledge is just a dent in a bucket compared to most of the folks around here.

Based on the description of that Module, it sounded close. I’ll wait for someone with much more experience than me to pop in and correct me.

-Eric
bwhittington
Boy, you guys are confusing me lol, but the module the OP seems to be after a delay with a sync input. A “clockable” delay effect (audio), not a gate delay. Yes, same as tap tempo delay, though the linked module doesn’t actually have a “tap” button.
ear ear
@Eric the Red and alternating.bit:

Usually when people refer to delays they're talking about audio delays, i.e. an audio effect. The kind of thing you'd use for echo effects or for physical modelling if the unit gives really short times, though a unit that only does really short times would be called a flanger. It's not standard to be able to sync delays to a control signal, that's one of the cool things about the Modcan delays.

With gate delays you're looking at something that allows you to mess around with the timing of the signals you're getting out of a sequencer, for example. You can get dedicated gate delay modules like the Moon 511, for example, but multi-function slope generators like the Serge DUSG can also be patched as gate delays. EDIT: trigger delay.
ranix
alternating.bit wrote:
^ How different is clock from gate though?? Clock signal can be easily converted to gate as well as the reverse.

a gate delay isn't a delay, it only delays the onset of the gate

nobody makes an actual delay for gate signals in 5u as far as I can find. I got a eurorack row just for some doepfer bucket brigade devices and dc coupled delays. Modules with that function are rare even in euro land
Eric the Red
Thanks for filling in the blanks in my knowledge bank.
alternating.bit
Thank you ear ear and ranix. Very interesting. Actually I was just talking about trigger sources in general, not the delay effect desired but now my curiosity has piqued. I'll have to check out that Moon module, though honestly I have enough delay units already though if there was a modular delay with tap tempo (or one that responds to a fed clock) that could be really helpful... meanwhile I can just use my pedals.

Edit - ohhh the Moon 511 Gate Delay. That's not a delay audible effect unit, if I'm not mistaken. I sold that unit the week I bought it a while back. Couldn't figure out its use lol.
ranix
it's cool because it lets you precisely time the onset of a gate signal. So not all your gates need to be precisely aligned on the time grid. Or you can delay the onset of an effect or modulation or echo by a controllable amount

it's nice when you mix it with the dotcom q961 which does basically the opposite, controls the length from the opposite direction
ranix
Eric the Red wrote:
Would this work? It will need to be built, but all Barton modules work on +- 15v

http://bartonmusicalcircuits.com/gdelay/

upon closer inspection this isn't a "gate delay" like the Moon 511D, it actually looks like it acts more like the kind of delay I've been looking for

maybe I'll make some!
JohnLRice
bwhittington wrote:
Modern 73b is the only one I know of. Amazing module, but a little hard to come by now.

It be great! Also the single channel Modcan 59B is clockable, and also great!
http://www.modcan.com/bmodules/delay.html

If someone is willing to go with an external pedal (or rack unit) there are several that can sync to clocks, like the Strymon DIG for example:
https://www.strymon.net/dig/

The great thing about a clocked/sync'd audio delay is that if you are adding delay to a sequenced voice and you are driving both the sequencer and delay from the same clock, you can speed up or slow down the clock rate and the delay time will match up, like if you have a double tap for every step of the sequencer it will stay that way regardless of speed.

ericD13
JohnLRice wrote:

If someone is willing to go with an external pedal (or rack unit) there are several that can sync to clocks, like the Strymon DIG for example:

Does the Strymon TimeLine can sync too ?
DrReverendSeance
ericD13 wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

Perhaps with the EXP in jack in tap mode?
alternating.bit
Yeah, like JIR I own the Strymon DIG as well... probably why I don't feel I need such module hihi

Interestingly I wasn't even aware of a clock sync option... I always use tap tempo. Sometimes you get nice surprises should sync go off a bit Miley Cyrus
johny_gtr
alternating.bit wrote:
Yeah, like JIR I own the Strymon DIG as well... probably why I don't feel I need such module hihi

Interestingly I wasn't even aware of a clock sync option... I always use tap tempo. Sometimes you get nice surprises should sync go off a bit Miley Cyrus

Strymons are perfect before you compare this with real BBD/Tape devices or high-end digital fx boxes Eventide/Axe-FX racks
smbenn
Thanks guys for the thoughts. ear ear is right - I was after a clock syncable audio delay. Of which there don't seem to be any for 5U at the moment.

I also REALLY like the look of the Strymon DIG - good call JLR - esp. as it offers 2 delays for a bargain price. So it comes down to either the ChronoBlob for my small Euro or the DIG...
Mark11Audio
ranix wrote:
alternating.bit wrote:

a gate delay isn't a delay, it only delays the onset of the gate

nobody makes an actual delay for gate signals in 5u as far as I can find. I got a eurorack row just for some doepfer bucket brigade devices and dc coupled delays. Modules with that function are rare even in euro land

uh, Moon 511AC is a "Gate Delay" I know, I have one... applause thumbs up

bwhittington
Um, I believe ranix is now referring to an audio delay effect that is DC coupled to also process CV. razz
JohnLRice
ericD13 wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

I'm not sure if it does or not. hmmm..... I have a Timeline but I've yet to explore it much yet . . .I'm still trying to catch up with . . . everything! Dead Banana
Mark11Audio
bwhittington wrote:
Um, I believe ranix is now referring to an audio delay effect that is DC coupled to also process CV. razz

I was referring to his exact words in quote...

He even used the words "nobody makes an actual delay for gate signals in 5U as far as I can find."

I know the original poster was referring to an "audio delay"... I am fairly certain my TC Electronics M300's will sync to a "clocking" input for sync purposes, (thinking about tap and ping/pong delays sync'd to my 569 Sequencer or 568 Step Sequencer) either via the TRS jack or through MIDI, but I haven't fully tested this yet.

When I get some time, it was something I wanted to test anyways... I will try and check that out and report back...
bwhittington
Mark11Audio wrote:
bwhittington wrote:

I was referring to his exact words in quote...

He even used the words "nobody makes an actual delay for gate signals in 5U as far as I can find."

I see what's going down, but then his next sentence is this:

ranix wrote:

nobody makes an actual delay for gate signals in 5u as far as I can find. I got a eurorack row just for some doepfer bucket brigade devices and dc coupled delays.

Sounds like someone's being naughty and creating cv delay effects! hyper I've never tried anything like that, but it sure does sound fun! Or maybe I'm the one who is mistaken. Definitely wouldn't be the first time!

Makes me think of going into a fancy craft coffee place, ordering a macchiato, and receiving this:

Going into Starbucks and placing the same order and having them try to give me something like this:

When what I really had in mind was this:

hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2