MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Expert sleepers latency
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Expert sleepers latency
SmokyClap
I just started using an es-3 and I love it but I’m getting some pretty noticeable latency when I send audio out of the es-3 through my modules and then back into my interface.

It easy to fix once the audio is recorded but it’s still annoying and I’m wondering if anyone knows a way to fix this.
GuyaGuy
Probably wanna check here
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=35
listentoaheartbeat
If you are using Ableton Live, you can use the External Audio Effect for automatic latency compensation. Instead of sending the track outputs to the ES-3, you insert an External Audio Effect. Audio To is set to the ES-3, sending the CV/gates/clock/audio to the modular. Audio From is set to the inputs from your modular, getting your modular output signal back. Live compensates for the round trip latency, and if you record the track output on another Audio Track, everything will nicely lock to the grid.
SmokyClap
GuyaGuy wrote:
Probably wanna check here
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=35

Thanks

I briefly looked through this after I posted in here and didn’t find anything. Normally I’d use the search function but it went kaputz after the site was down it seems.
nostalghia
SmokyClap wrote:
Normally I’d use the search function but it went kaputz after the site was down it seems.

Use Google and add site:(name of site) after your search terms, for example:
expert sleepers es-3 latency site:www.muffwiggler.com

Result:
list of relevant links on the site
SmokyClap
listentoaheartbeat wrote:
If you are using Ableton Live, you can use the External Audio Effect for automatic latency compensation. Instead of sending the track outputs to the ES-3, you insert an External Audio Effect. Audio To is set to the ES-3, sending the CV/gates/clock/audio to the modular. Audio From is set to the inputs from your modular, getting your modular output signal back. Live compensates for the round trip latency, and if you record the track output on another Audio Track, everything will nicely lock to the grid.

Thanks a lot for your help. I’ve always been a little lost on the topic of latency as I never had to deal with it. I appreciate you’re help.
tross

Thats great, but doesn't it works only when you recording with monitor off, and when you monitoring in is on, signal still plays with latency?
listentoaheartbeat
tross wrote:

Thats great, but doesn't it works only when you recording with monitor off, and when you monitoring in is on, signal still plays with latency?

You need to insert the External Audio Effect after e.g. the Silent Way plug-ins and set the routing as explained above. The signal from the modular comes in via the External Audio Effect, which means it is now available as the output of the track hosting the Silent Way plug-ins, no track monitoring required. If you want to record the signal, just use another Audio Track and set the track hosting the Silent Way plug-ins as the input source.
tross
[quote="listentoaheartbeat"][quote="tross"]
The signal from the modular comes in via the External Audio Effect, which means it is now available as the output of the track hosting the Silent Way plug-ins, no track monitoring required. If you want to record the signal, just use another Audio Track and set the track hosting the Silent Way plug-ins as the input source.

What do you mean by signal from modular, you are talking about audio signal i guess? The signal from modulat can come only from the one of audio ins of soundcard. If i put it in Audio From of External Audio device everything start blinking and behaving wierdly

In previous message [quote="listentoaheartbeat"][quote="tross"]
Audio From is set to the inputs from your modular

What inputs are you talking about?

Still
listentoaheartbeat
tross wrote:
The signal from the modular comes in via the External Audio Effect, which means it is now available as the output of the track hosting the Silent Way plug-ins, no track monitoring required. If you want to record the signal, just use another Audio Track and set the track hosting the Silent Way plug-ins as the input source.

What do you mean by signal from modular, you are talking about audio signal i guess? The signal from modulat can come only from the one of audio ins of soundcard. If i put it in Audio From of External Audio device everything start blinking and behaving wierdly

Then you are probably still sending the track output to the modular, effectively routing the audio to the CV and gate inputs in a feedback loop. The track output should go to the master as it now carries the audio from the modular (via the External Audio Effect).

tross wrote:
Audio From is set to the inputs from your modular

What inputs are you talking about?

The inputs of your audio interface that are receiving the audio from the modular.
tross
listentoaheartbeat
Ok, thank you. I tried it and it worked. But still i can use only 2 channels right?
listentoaheartbeat
Two channels per track, but of course you can do this on multiple tracks, depending on how many outputs your ES hardware has.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1