MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Better than Metropolis?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Better than Metropolis?
BeatAboutTheHead
Is there a Eurorack module that does what Metropolis can do plus more? I have become boarderline obsessed with modular synths in the last few months and am getting close to buying my first module, which will most likley be Metropolis.
droningsphagettimonster
audio damage sequencer 1 gets you close and than some in tetms of programming (counting pulses) but you lose the hands on experience and all the fun
BrokenBo
Stillson Hammer MK2, Winter Modular Eloquencer, Zetaohm FLXS1, Varigate 8 is cool too.
exper
Having owned a large amount of euro sequencers over the years, no. Nothing matches the immediacy and results of the metropolis. Rene is unique in a similar way. There are powerful sequencers, like the eloquencer or seek (another favorite), but for my main sequences, i always go for the metro first. It never fails to put out something unique and surprising.
Futuresound
There are sequencers that can do some of what Metropolis does. There are sequencers that do some things better than Metropolis.

But there are no other sequencers that are Metropolis.

This is why I have like 8 sequencers Rockin' Banana!
wsy
Futuresound wrote:
There are sequencers that can do some of what Metropolis does. There are sequencers that do some things better than Metropolis.

But there are no other sequencers that are Metropolis.

This is why I have like 8 sequencers Rockin' Banana!

The Moog 960 (and derivatives, like the Synthesizers.com Q960) have three (or more) rows, and per-stage goto inputs
and per-stage gate outs. Plus expanders that give you trigger busses and such.

The Detroit Underground DU-SEQ is a 7400-series TTL (hardware, no microprocessor) implementation of the most
common parts of the Metropolis- but it can go "wicked fast" as TTL is good for 10-100 MHz.

Someday I'll get a Time's Arrow and try that too.

(did they ever get per-stage ratcheting on the Metropolis?)

- Bill
Multi Grooves
Yup, it's on there now.
Futuresound
Fair enough, forgot about the DU-SEQ.

The others are non-Euro (gasp!), but do look pretty great.
Montgomery Word
the answer is no.
drinkcorpsevomit
I see there being a couple of different tiers. You trade off depth for fun.

Tier 1: Metropolis and Rene: fun, immediate, wigglable, some depth, enough functionality to make you happy for a very long time.

Tier 1a. Monome Kria + Grid, same as above but more expensive. The 'coolest' eurorack sequencer. Feels very much like an instrument. Fantastic user experience.

Tier 2: Stillson Hammer, Eloquencer. A tiny bit less fun and immediacy. More depth, more UI diving, a lot more functionality/tracks. An engine room for your multi-voice rig.

Tier 3: Er101+102. Not fun, but AMAZING. A programming experience but the most powerful eurorack sequencer bar none.

Just IMHO. I've owned all of the above at one point or another. Just my 2c. They are all ace.
Jaypee
drinkcorpsevomit wrote:

Tier 1: Metropolis and Rene: fun, immediate, wigglable, some depth, enough functionality to make you happy for a very long time.

Tier 1a. Monome Kria + Grid, same as above but more expensive. The 'coolest' eurorack sequencer. Feels very much like an instrument. Fantastic user experience.

Tier 2: Stillson Hammer, Eloquencer. A tiny bit less fun and immediacy. More depth, more UI diving, a lot more functionality/tracks. An engine room for your multi-voice rig.

Tier 3: Er101+102. Not fun, but AMAZING. A programming experience but the most powerful eurorack sequencer bar none.

Just IMHO. I've owned all of the above at one point or another. Just my 2c. They are all ace.

Eloquencer and René here, super combo!

Which ones did you keep?
drinkcorpsevomit
Jaypee wrote:
drinkcorpsevomit wrote:

Eloquencer and René here, super combo!

Which ones did you keep?

ER101+102, Eloquencer ( latest addition... lets see how long it lasts ), Monome Kria x2 with Grid and Arc. Had ( and got rid of ) Circadian and Varigate 8 too. Not feeling them.
rohelineoun
Montgomery Word wrote:
the answer is no.

cool
starthief
Which sequencer is the most fun to use, overall?

I've been doing nearly all of my sequencing in a DAW and it definitely has its advantages, but having done some hacky sequencing with Frames and with G8/3xMIA I'm going to want to explore a more suitable Euro sequencer. I have an Intermix coming for the G8, but that's just a taste. grin

Rene looks like fun to me, except for hidden mode stuff that probably requires a cheat sheet. Metropolis looks kind of businesslike but I can see how it might be pretty quick to work with for the most part...?
BaloErets
starthief wrote:
Rene looks like fun to me, except for hidden mode stuff that probably requires a cheat sheet. Metropolis looks kind of businesslike but I can see how it might be pretty quick to work with for the most part...?

No need for cheat sheet for the Rene. Menu is only 1 page deep, so no diving is required, and you go through the different menu pages by tapping the top left touchplate and the leds below show which menu you are in. All the info you need is written next to the touchplates. Menus are

A for Access which turns on/off steps for your sequence
X Gate - Turn Gate on and Off on the x-axis
Y Gate - Same for Y axis
X Function Choose different logic modes, sequence direction, Glides, Resets for the X Axis
Y Function same for Y axis
Q Choose which notes you want to access for you sequence, as well as recall 4 user-saved scales.

Metropolis is extremely hands-on and has very limited menu diving. Like the Rene, you can only go one page deep. If you need the menu, 90% of the time is to set the destination for the A and B Mods.

Hope that helps SlayerBadger!
starthief
Ah, I was under the impression menus were more complex than that on Rene, along the lines of the 0-Coast's menus (which I've avoided 100% since setting it up, except for upgrades/calibration).

Thanks thumbs up
monads
Well.....I didn't jell with Metropolis. It's excellent, just not for me.

I'm with:

1. ER101+102
2. Stillson Hammer Mk2
3. Eloquencer
BrokenBo
starthief wrote:
Ah, I was under the impression menus were more complex than that on Rene, along the lines of the 0-Coast's menus (which I've avoided 100% since setting it up, except for upgrades/calibration).

Thanks thumbs up

rene is very easy to navigate and super fun. it is also a very good alternative to the common step sequencers in terms of non linearity and possibilites to program variations to your sequence. also looks fantastic imo cool

i have it together with the stillson and i think its a great combo. stillson is also pretty easy to control once you understand it (which happens quickly).
tross
Sequencer question is super private thing. There is no right answer to what is best, because let's I didn't liked Rene at all and people here are praising it a lot.
Joe.
tross wrote:
Sequencer question is super private thing.

thumbs up

You have a modular synth. why not make a customised sequencer out of modules too? Just for you. no one else.
nectarios
Metro is very hands on and good fun.
Problem for me that the hands on/fun part, is not worth the insane amount of cash and/or hp, as its only 1 CV/Gate out.
So imo, there are many sequencers that are *better*.
khyber
Stillson Hammer MKII without question.

Rene is maybe still my favorite if you're looking for non-traditional, but due to the touch plate issue in some rigs I don't get too much use out of mine these days (yet I still hang on to it, ahh Eurorack....). The thing that attracted me to the Metropolis was the 2 mod inputs that could do wonderful manipulations to vary your sequence in different ways. Rene has these as well, but either module routes these inputs to different functions.

The Stillson Hammer shines for me because it has 2 mod inputs, but they can be routed to any parameter on the module (still, not the same params as the other sequencers, but I get more mileage out of this). Also 4 CV and 4 Gate tracks in a single sequencer is so much more powerful than Rene or Metropolis. Oh also also being able to switch the voltage ranges of your outputs on the fly, and having different ranges between the 4 outputs, that is a great feature.

Regarding "menu diving", there isn't a whole lot of that. Sometimes holding down a button is necessary to access a function but it wasn't that difficult to figure out. The only "menu" I can think of is the screen where you set beats, root note, and scale, not too complicated.

AND, it's best feature, it's 1HP smaller than the Rene or Metropolis! Dead Banana

Would still like to try the ER101, 102, 103, but I have to sell both my kidneys first.
dysonant
BaloErets wrote:

No need for cheat sheet for the Rene. ....

A for Access which turns on/off steps for your sequence
X Gate - Turn Gate on and Off on the x-axis
Y Gate - Same for Y axis
X Function Choose different logic modes, sequence direction, Glides, Resets for the X Axis
Y Function same for Y axis
Q Choose which notes you want to access for you sequence, as well as recall 4 user-saved scales.

No need for a cheatsheet - provides cheatsheet.
exper
Idk. The SH2 atill bugs me in that the sliders mean absolutely nothing everytime you switch channels/lanes/etc. for me that cancels out the immediacy of live sequencing.
dysonant
So, I've tried out a few sequencers:
* Rene - awesome, powerful, pretty easy to use but if you want to go deeper not so easy.
* Stillson Hammer - bit of a learning curve, but rewarding, lots of great features, pretty fun to use, fair immediate, Why are LOAD and SAVE right next to each other hmmm.....
* Metropolis - pretty straight forward, immediately gratifying, a bit large for what is does but that does make it easy to play. Never really gelled with the sub-functions and menu system.
* DU-Seq - fucking awesome, just brilliant, easy as shit, unquantized, one knob per function. Got nothing bad to say about it really
* Varigate 8+ - tried using it a few times for pitch, but can't say much on that subject since I'm rather inexperienced with those functions. As a gate sequencer it is phenomenal, I use the CV for control other than pitch.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3