MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla 248 as an oscillator?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Buchla 248 as an oscillator?
Sir Ruff
Can anyone tell me how well the 248 functions as an oscillator when run at audio rates? This is one function that really intrigues me, but I can't find any demos or discussion on that aspect.
Peake
If it can run at audio rates and track it can be used as an audio oscillator but do attenuate the output to about 2V or less.
Sir Ruff
Yeah, that's the question really. And maybe there are better options for "waveform building"? The 262 is the only other module that I know of with that type of capability, but it's more about harmonics than different waveforms.
Peake
Waveforms are of course built out of harmonics but I get what you say meaning you're looking for more complex tools. Didn't Frijitz (?) produce an audio-rate sequencer which acts as an oscillator with sliders?
Peake
I believe the original MARF allowed most major parameters to be stored per stage so you could create gaps between perceived/timed sliders by making certain stages longer than one beat, might be interesting.
Sir Ruff
Peake wrote:
Waveforms are of course built out of harmonics but I get what you say meaning you're looking for more complex tools. Didn't Frijitz (?) produce an audio-rate sequencer which acts as an oscillator with sliders?

Do you mean Fritz? I think I've seen that, but not sure it exists in Buchla format.

Tbh, the 262 might be the best or at least most interesting option at the moment.
askthedust
Don't want to hijack this thread but I have a question about the Marf and not sure it deserves a thread of its own. Delete if you think it's off rules.
Has anyone find a way to skip a step with a Marf sequence like you could do like the Easel sequencer or the Verbos 247v?
Thanks so much
mritenburg
askthedust wrote:
Don't want to hijack this thread but I have a question about the Marf and not sure it deserves a thread of its own. Delete if you think it's off rules.
Has anyone find a way to skip a step with a Marf sequence like you could do like the Easel sequencer or the Verbos 247v?
Thanks so much

Use pulse output 1 or 2 (not "all") and then don't program a pulse for the stage you want to skip.
askthedust
mritenburg wrote:
askthedust wrote:
Thanks so much

Use pulse output 1 or 2 (not "all") and then don't program a pulse for the stage you want to skip.

Thanks!,Unfortunately it can only work when using the internal pulses and not triggered externally, on firmware 1.0 of the 248r. But that'll do! This is fun!
Triglav
Interestingly, Don thought that this wasn't a great idea:
Quote:
You have a similar problem if you try to use a sequencer as an oscillator. If you build a sequencer that will run fast enough, you can listen to the stepped output directly rather than using it to control an oscillator, and by changing the height of the various steps you can change the waveshape. That sounds interesting in theory, but the first people who built sequencers that could run in the audio domain—and I guess I was probably the first, but I learned my lesson fast—found that all they were doing when they turned a knob was varying the amplitude of some dominant harmonic, practically independently of which knob they turned. The lesson there is that what we hear in the temporal domain we hear one way, but in the harmonic domain we hear in a different way. So we need to build devices whose design will vary depending on whether they're going to be asked to deal with form or with sound.
— from the keyboardmag interview
Sir Ruff
Triglav wrote:
Interestingly, Don thought that this wasn't a great idea:
Quote:
You have a similar problem if you try to use a sequencer as an oscillator. If you build a sequencer that will run fast enough, you can listen to the stepped output directly rather than using it to control an oscillator, and by changing the height of the various steps you can change the waveshape. That sounds interesting in theory, but the first people who built sequencers that could run in the audio domain—and I guess I was probably the first, but I learned my lesson fast—found that all they were doing when they turned a knob was varying the amplitude of some dominant harmonic, practically independently of which knob they turned. The lesson there is that what we hear in the temporal domain we hear one way, but in the harmonic domain we hear in a different way. So we need to build devices whose design will vary depending on whether they're going to be asked to deal with form or with sound.
— from the keyboardmag interview

interesting...
Vatican2
Could someone walk me through how to experiment with this? It sounds fun.
reverberation
askthedust wrote:
mritenburg wrote:
askthedust wrote:
Thanks so much

Thanks!,Unfortunately it can only work when using the internal pulses and not triggered externally, on firmware 1.0 of the 248r. But that'll do! This is fun!

Not sure which firmware I've got on my MARF, but I sync it from my eurorack all the time and I can use pulse out 1 and 2 to trigger the 281r or similar with no problems whatsoever.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1