MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Is there a unique phrase your family uses for your modular?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Is there a unique phrase your family uses for your modular?
mypetrobot
I saw this post on reddit today: https://www.reddit.com/r/modular/comments/7bkxo7/the_messy_beepy_thing _as_my_girlfriend_calls_it/

OP on that thread says his girlfriend calls it a "messy beepy thing." This got me thinking, since this is an archaic hobby and can look otherworldly to the casual onlooker, I'm sure modular synths get a bunch of weird nicknames.

Anecdotally, when I first started with a single smaller case, my wife referred to my little eurorack system as my "hobby box." Now, despite spanning across multiple cases, it's still called a "hobby box" in my household. My kids for the most part even call it this (well, the 3-year old calls it a "synf-a-sizer.")

What do your friends/family call yer hobby box?
bmoren
sound machine
space computer

Whenever I get new modules, I'm asked "Did you get new computers again?"
mypetrobot
bmoren wrote:
Whenever I get new modules, I'm asked "Did you get new computers again?"

Awesome. And I particularly love the inclusion of "again" at the end of that statement.

Yeah, the family calls the collection of modules a "hobby box," but I'm not sure what they'd call an individual module. I'll have to ask them. All I can think of right now is the barrage of questions that comes from the kids whenever any package shows up at the door.

"What's that? Is that for me? Oh it's for you, can I open it? Why did you get it? Can I have it?"

"No. This is a shelving unit for the basement."

"...Can you order one for me?"
starthief
To my spouse it's a modular synth, but the individual parts are often "mods" rather than "modules."

The prominent features are apparently "lots of knobs and lights", the fact that I buy them from all over the world and resell or trade them a lot to figure out what I like and keep things fresh, and that it looks like I'm doing mad science.

I'm okay with this smile
Section956
My kids call it the blugelblorp.
TemplarK
Mine call it "No".

No you can't afford another module.

No you can't spend another hour wiggling.

No we don't want you to buy another case.

No we don't think you'll have enough modules to fill a case three times the size of the one you have.

No No No No.

YES
rutabaga40
wife calls it The Modulars. or 'that stuff you do on the modulars'. always plural. she is very supportive and I find it cute. love
aokjoey0
No name for it, but my 31 year old son, who is completing a fully paid for engineering degree at OSU, just looked at it and said " That thing looks out of control"
It wasn't even one!
batch
Kids called it Dada's music machine and love it.

Wife calls it "that stupid thing" and hates it.

Can't win'em all
meistersmudge
My wife calls it a music box. And playing it is music boxing.
lisa
In my house we make music together so it’s loads of ”can I patch this to the Polivoks filter or is it taken?”, ”cool sound! What if you modulate the wavefolder too?” and such. thumbs up
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
That crap out in the garage.
Huba-Swift
My Dad always refers to it as the "Modulizer", close enough. As for individual modules, he tends to come up with names on the spot, and constantly gets things mixed up. VCOs are usually refered to as "oscilloscope pulsars"
Tronge
My 2 year old calls it the "bleepy bleepy"!
mypetrobot
Tronge wrote:
My 2 year old calls it the "bleepy bleepy"!

When my daughter was little she just collectively called all of my music gear "sounds."

"Cans I play with you sounds, Dad?"
MarcelP
The Inheritance - it is all my kids will get when I am gone.
haebbmaster
Mine is called "this has to stop now"
(With a Mastercard reference)
donrock
The Laboratory - probably because of the wires and blinking lights
PhineasFreak
'that thing'

as in 'i love that thing, it makes such cool noises' or more often 'how much did you spend on that thing??!?!?'
Lsd911
My modular is referred to as a Moog. "Have you got a new hit for your moog?"
Parnelli
Only got one friend, that's Eddie, and he ain't got any! He doesn't call it anything; he just hopes I don't drive myself insane with the noise it makes!

As for family I ain't got much of that either, but as was put forth earlier my kids can call it their "inheritance"... it will be worth far more than I am by the time I am through.
lisa
Lsd911 wrote:
My modular is referred to as a Moog. "Have you got a new hit for your moog?"

Hehe, my father does that too. smile
Demi Jon
My partner calls it my razz Thyn razz the razz thi razz ther
J3RK
Most of my kids at one point or another have called them my "sympasizers". My wife keeps it concise with "synths".
Ranxerox
Not the modular, but the whole studio, is known as "the junk pile".
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5