MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Upgrading from a Scarlett 18i6 to ...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Upgrading from a Scarlett 18i6 to ...
piearesquared
So I have had the Scarlett 18i6 for about five years now and given how much my approach to making music has changed (everything apart from guitar completely ITB vs. using more hardware and using pedals over everything), I think it’s time for a new interface with more outputs.

These are the basic things I am looking for:

- At least four outputs (other than the monitor outs) for four effect sends and plus maybe four more to use with my future eurorack effects unit (based around the morphagene hopefully)
- Inputs for my guitar (almost always mono), 0-Coast, Lyra-8, effect returns and for that eurorack setup I am hoping to get

Of course MIDI in/out and I have been reading a lot about controlling eurorack via max or max for live and would also love to be able to do that
The interface that seems to best fit these requirements and doesn’t cost a ton imo is the MOTU Ultralite mk3, but haven’t found much other than that.

Does anyone here have any experience with similar setups and if so, am I missing anything? And what would you recommend
Thanks
spikysimon
The 18i6 has ADAT I think? So you could add more I/O with a Behringer ADA 8200 or similar, rather than change the interface.
piearesquared
spikysimon wrote:
The 18i6 has ADAT I think? So you could add more I/O with a Behringer ADA 8200 or similar, rather than change the interface.

It does have ADAT, but only for inputs, no optical out
piearesquared
Trying to revive this thread as I finally have the money to upgrade from the 18i6 (selling it and a Line 6 UX2 to finance the purchase). AT the price point, I can't seem to find a better alternative to the Ultralite but does anyone think I will come to regret the fact that it can't be expanded with ADAT?
MAXTHEDOG
18i20? Or is too expensive? Plenty of everything in/out wise.

2d.

Regards,
MTD.
mcpepe
What about a Allen&Heath Qu-Pac? For a more hands on experience.

This is what I am thinking to substitute a Firewire RME FF400, since my new computer doesnt have a firewire port
Robscorch
mcpepe wrote:
What about a Allen&Heath Qu-Pac? For a more hands on experience.

This is what I am thinking to substitute a Firewire RME FF400, since my new computer doesnt have a firewire port

Firewire is dead mates. If you want to get relevant usb 3 or c will be the new thing. Thunderbolt will go out soon enough even with Mac if usb c makes the current cut. There are limited audio interface options right now, but I'm thinking usb c will be on the next generation of all audio interfaces we will begin to see toward the end of the next year. This year they are all tooling up to start with usb 3 so it will be interesting to see what happens with the entire Thunderbolt thing.

I love the idea of a PCIe card, but hell all of these options you have to buy a box as well of some sort and you've spent enough to put a good down payment on a car, but you've got channel options and that super low latency for tracking lots of things.

The studio 192 has been on my radar for a while and I used to have a Presonus FP10, but it gave me so many issues that I wrote Presonus off as a company until I realized it wasn't them it was firewire that was the real issue. Presonus has some damn good mixing boards and Studio One is a decent program.
estin
a few years ago I bought the Scarlett 18i20 gen 2 and had nothing but problems. Returned it and expanded my budget and got the Roland Studio Capture and have been extremely pleased. Rock solid stability and very clean sound with plenty of inputs and flexible routing. Best gear purchased i've made.
talfred
If I were to buy a new interface now I probably would get the brand new Audient iD44, I like the form factor + the price is good as well. It's got audient mic pres and two instrument inputs plus 16 adat in/out, so plenty of room for later expansions. And no evil thunderbolt!

piearesquared
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I had never heard of Audient's stuff so I'll check it out.

Is the Allen & Heath Qu-Pac a bit like the Behringer Air X18? Feature wise they look very similar

So does no one here think the MOTU Ultralite is worth it?
beku
Quote:

a few years ago I bought the Scarlett 18i20 gen 2 and had nothing but problems.

I owned the gen1. Had so many problems with it i finally gave up.
Switched to RME UC from ebay + ADA8200.
Can only recommend that setup.
SB-SIX
Motu 828 is a nice one with plenty in/outputs. The in/outputs are DC coupled so you can use the 828 to send/receive CV signals when using bitwig or silent way.
mtts
MTK12 (only 14 hmmm..... inputs though) or MTK22 are cheap and have the stated number of inputs that double as outputs so you can, for example, send a softsynth to a spring reverb attached to an aux channel. Input is pre fader, though. Still: cheap.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1